Is Anyone Else Sick Of PC Elitism?

General and high profile video game topics.
Shogun1

Postby Shogun1 » April 5th, 2013, 8:42 pm

I'd get into PC Gaming but DRM tactics that publishers use keep me away. Plus I like to physically own my games and some games force you to be online all the time to even play a game. If I already physically own the game then why do they have to even have DRM and limited installs. Also paying $500 to build a gaming PC just to have companies screw you over would be very frustrating. GOG.com interests me though. I'd be interested in playing System Shock 2.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 6th, 2013, 12:52 am

Very few of the PC games i've played require me to be online at any time.  Though I did avoid getting Splinter Cell: Conviction for the PC because of that always online crap.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 6th, 2013, 6:30 am

[QUOTE=Shogun]I'd get into PC Gaming but DRM tactics that publishers use keep me away. Plus I like to physically own my games and some games force you to be online all the time to even play a game. If I already physically own the game then why do they have to even have DRM and limited installs. Also paying $500 to build a gaming PC just to have companies screw you over would be very frustrating. GOG.com interests me though. I'd be interested in playing System Shock 2.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but again, I wouldn't personally recommend a gaming PC.  Go download something like "To the Moon" or "Breath of Death and Cthulhu Saves the World" double pack and see what you already CAN play, pretty much DRM free, offline, and for only a few bucks.  My rule is "if it has a graphic card listed in the system requirements, I can't play it, and don't want to."  That has not stopped me from amassing a huge library. 

Also, sign up for GoG for sure.  You get a pile of classic games for free, DRM free, just for signing up.  You really can't lose there.  I also got Duke Nukem 3D free from them on special one time.  I think I have eight games from them and I have never given them any money. 

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » April 6th, 2013, 10:57 am

It is the same old argument it has been for years.  2600 (winner) vs coleco, Spectrum vs C64, Nes vs 7800 (winner) etc.... Snes vs genesis, ps1 vs jaguar, xbox vs cube, wii vs ps3  etc...

I just put the winner in there for a laugh, it is just a winner coz you like the system, other than that it is pointless.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » April 6th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Console elitists are just as bad.

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » April 6th, 2013, 5:05 pm

I've never been able to get away from PC gaming, although I don't know that I've met too many what you seem to call "PC Elitists".  People who like to play games on their PC have very valid reasons for preferring that platform, but I haven't met any of them that begrudge others their own preferences.  Considering most people own a computer for other reasons anyway, why not also use it for gaming?  Personally the reasons I prefer to game on a PC are:
1) Superior control - you just can't get the kind of granularity with an Xbox or PS3 controller that you can with a good keyboard/mouse.
2) As others have pointed out, superior graphics and physics modeling.
3) Greater variety of games available, including tons of cheap Indie games.
4) Gaming with my display 2 feet from my face has just always felt far more immersive to me than sitting on a couch 8 feet away from my big screen... more personal.
5) If I wish to play online against or with other people, it's FREE - unlike the Xbox (I realize the PS3 allows you to play over the 'net for free).
I, too, stay away from any game that requires me to be online all the time, although I've only had that issue one time so for 99.9% of the games this is simply a non-issue. 

I have no problem with people enjoying gaming on consoles and I have most major consoles in my collection anyway - SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, 360, PS1, PS2, PS3... it's just that given my choice, I generally always prefer to play the games I enjoy on my PC. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 6th, 2013, 9:58 pm

[QUOTE=soporj]Console elitists are just as bad.[/QUOTE]
And that includes some of the developers.  I forget which one there was a story about last week who laughed when they asked if the new engine would run on the Wii U.  He was like "poo poo, hahahaha.  That engine is next gen.  HAHAHA poo poo."  That's the gist of his response anyway (and actually pretty close as a quote).  I read it and immediately had to go play some indie PC stuff to remind myself that there are still developers who remember that "next gen" can mean something besides processing power. 

If you think it's only PC players who can be elitist, ask a hardcore 360 or PS3 fan about the Wii.  You'll get the same response from them they would hate to get from a PC gamer.  "What, that thing?  With RAM like that I could play better games on a calculator.  The graphics make my eyes bleed.  Yuk yuk.  I live in my parent's basement.  I think the very graphics I praised 6 years ago are now so bad they actually cause eye injury because I'm a loser.  Poo poo.  Hahaha.  Etc." 

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 7th, 2013, 1:32 am

1-That varies, there are times when I find a multiplatform title easier to play with a 360 controller then a keyboard/mouse(not to mention, there are several PC games which you can actually play with a 360 controller instead of a keyboard).

2-Yes, but some games lag miserably on the PC and actually have worse graphics then their console counterparts(I.E. Saints Row 2, Mercenaries 2, GTAIV), and some like Crysis require an expensive, top-of-the-line PC and graphics card to run properly, that game actually looks better on my console then it does on my PC.

3-Agreed, but most of those indie games simply do not interest me.

4-I sit fairly close to my TV when I play on my 360 anyways, so I get plenty of immersion both ways.

5-I couldn't care less about playing online, so that dosen't really matter to me

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » April 7th, 2013, 2:29 pm

[QUOTE=darkrage6]

1-That varies, there are times when I find a multiplatform title easier to play with a 360 controller then a keyboard/mouse(not to mention, there are several PC games which you can actually play with a 360 controller instead of a keyboard).[/QUOTE]

This is true, generally for games originally developed for a console and then ported to the PC as an
afterthought.

[QUOTE=darkrage6]
2-Yes, but some games lag miserably on the PC and actually have worse graphics then their console counterparts(I.E. Saints Row 2, Mercenaries 2, GTAIV), and some like Crysis require an expensive, top-of-the-line PC and graphics card to run properly, that game actually looks better on my console then it does on my PC.[/QUOTE]

Again true, but again generally only of games developed originally for a console and then ported to the PC as an afterthought (as each of those games you give as an example were).  It's definitely an expendable if you want top of the line graphics with top of the line detail, but even low-to-medium PC graphics look better than those of consoles on an HD tv.

[QUOTE=darkrage6]
3-Agreed, but most of those indie games simply do not interest me.

4-I sit fairly close to my TV when I play on my 360 anyways, so I get plenty of immersion both ways.

5-I couldn't care less about playing online, so that dosen't really matter to me
[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you've got the setup that suits your needs perfectly.

weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » February 14th, 2014, 3:03 am

With the issue on DRM on PC. that's why I do steam. If they go belly-up, they let you download the games you bought, so technically my digital purchases on PC's have value. And I see darkrage6 mentions PC DRM as a negative, but he totally backs it up on xbox........interesting.

Return to “Video Games General”