The Advantages Of Cartridges Over CDs: A Look Back At An Old Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » March 21st, 2014, 7:49 am

http://dmrozek.websitetoolbox.com/post/the-advantages-of-cartridges-over-cds-3096312

Okay, the reason I am posting a new thread instead of bumping the old one is that this is in a board called "Questions And Answers," which is hidden, so no one will see my post if I post it unless they actually look for that thread in Google.

Wow, I was quite the ignorant teenager back then. "Cartridges don't freeze and they don't have load times!" LOL. Also, that was back in the days when I used fake names to post in my threads. Happy Gilmore was one of my fakes back then. I still say that Cartridges definitely have some advantages. Like, you can't scratch a cartridge. Cartridges are stronger than CDs. I have never had a cartridge break or not work on me because of misuse/abuse (except for one time as a child when I put water in an SNES cartridge to try and clean it out). Can't say the same for CDs. Also, while the N64 had controller paks that you needed to save certain games, most cartridge based games have a battery save that lets you save to the cartridge itself rather than needing to continually buy memory cards or delete space on your hard drive. I wish developers could find a way to save games on a CD just like the old cartridge saving. 

I will say that CDs also have their advantages. Like, they have WAAAAAY more storage than cartridges, and they're easier to develop for.

Like I said, I will continue to revisit these old threads of mine, and post my current day thoughts.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » March 21st, 2014, 8:15 am

What I would add is not a problem with the media itself but the systems that use them. Cartridge based systems have no moveable parts so those consoles will last, disc based systems will fail.
Never had ring of death or yellow light of death with the MegaDrive, SNES, 2600 etc.

LS6501

Postby LS6501 » March 21st, 2014, 9:01 am

I have an Atari 2600 and an Odyssey 2 from 1978 that both work flawlessly.

I wonder how many PS4s and Xbox Ones will still be working in 2050!

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » March 21st, 2014, 3:00 pm

I can think of a counter to this.

The NES systems seem to need a refurbishing first if you want 'em to last.

My Saturn is a CD system,and still works perfectly 20 years after it was made.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 21st, 2014, 4:06 pm

Yes, but this is because of the unusual console design, not the actual cartridge media. The Top Loader, the Famicom, any top loading based 8 bit Nintendo system has durability written all over it. I'll agree the Saturn is durable though, much more than the Playstation for instance.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » March 21st, 2014, 7:43 pm

As Dave said in his console review, the original front-loader model NES is generally not very reliable at all due to how easily dirt could get into the system, the top-loader is much more reliable.

LS6501

Postby LS6501 » March 21st, 2014, 8:04 pm

Alright - how well will your Saturn be working in another 20+ years from now?

Honestly, I think most cart-based systems will last longer simply because they have no moving parts.  

Return to “Video Games General”