The Criticize Nintendo Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » June 25th, 2014, 6:31 am

One thing that bugs me is that you can't play multiplayer with more than one Gamepad. Why? Why do you need Wiimotes to play multiplayer? Nintendo put so much of their energy into that damn controller, and then they only let one person use it. What the hell?

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 25th, 2014, 2:31 pm

The four N64 controller port was a nice feature, too bad they didn't reproduce it with its successors.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 25th, 2014, 2:39 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]The four N64 controller port was a nice feature, too bad they didn't reproduce it with its successors.[/QUOTE]
Except they did. The Gamecube had four controller ports and the Wii/U can support four Wiimotes.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » June 25th, 2014, 2:43 pm

GameCube disagrees with that,...or are you talking about how 64 had a port within the controller for add-ons such as the Controller Pak and Rumble Pak?   Because except the GameCube, they've done that

On that note the GameCube controller should've had an expansion bay in it, I find it odd how that controller is pretty much a glorified PS controller (better molded and far more comfortable yes,but still pretty much a cop-out) with little else while every other controller is always so innovative.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 25th, 2014, 2:47 pm

You know what? You're right, I don't know what I'm on.. but it seems to be working, lol.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » June 25th, 2014, 8:20 pm

Nintendo's decision to use cartridges for the N64 was a really bad judgement call, as they were more expensive to manufacture then CDs and as a result the games were more expensive new then any other system availible at the time(Neo Geo excluded), costing around 70-80 dollars, which by today's standards is ludicrous, you only pay that much for collectors editions of games nowadays.  There were also far too many gaps between new releases, causing some owners to feel slighted and some even move over to the Playstation instead.

Also I don't particularly like the N64 controllers, yeah they were innovative but for me they weren't very comfortable to hold, I honestly much prefered the Gamecube controllers, and I would argue that the Wavebird controller was innovative.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 25th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Yea, the left half of the N64 controller was useless. And you get back to the horrid visuals. The system ("Ultra 64", remember that?) got delayed over a year and you'd think it would have been a state of the art system. But no, it had the pathetic blurriness that cast a dark shadow over every game that wasn't made cartoon style. Another thing that bugged me, was that the polygons just looked ugly. When you blew stuff up the explosions were pathetic, it didn't feel like you were blowing stuff up. The system couldn't duplicate a realistic outdoor setting, the racing games in particular you see how ugly the polygons were. I'd rather play a much less powerful 3d system if the graphics are clear.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » June 25th, 2014, 10:04 pm

The blurriness of the N64's textures were due not only to how heavily filtered they were but that the system's video memory was so small that textures had to be small and yet stretched to fit large distances.

For that gen, either you got blurry textures, warpy textures or blocky textures.

Jon1

Postby Jon1 » June 25th, 2014, 11:36 pm

As time goes by I think less and less of the N64. I now consider it a disgrace and a real low point in video game history. And I don't know what was possible in that era, but 3d arcade games looked great.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 25th, 2014, 11:42 pm

The Wii console itself looks so pedestrian, like a second hand DVD player at a pawn shop. Even the NES hardware has more aesthetic detail.

Return to “Video Games General”