The Criticize Nintendo Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
Atariboy

Re: The Criticize Nintendo Thread

Postby Atariboy » May 9th, 2015, 4:13 am

Deep into the late stages of Super Mario 3D World, and now a return of a past hardware issue with it. :(

Last night, Wii U gamepad failed to power on my console and displayed the error message that I did a bit of complaining about on here before. Following the instructions sadly doesn't work, with the only way to turn the system after this displays being the console's power button or Wiimote. Last time, the problem was very intermittent at first and progressed over a few months to a point where the console never responded to the gamepad's power button (Except when turning the system off, which always worked 100%).

I wonder if it's worth sending it in to Nintendo again. I believe my warranty is still valid (I think my past repair added another 12 months to the existing and now expired original coverage), It was only six months old when this started the first time, and it's barely been that long since it was sent in for lengthy (And rather sloppily handled on their part) repairs for this issue the last time.

Might be easier just to pretend that the gamepad doesn't have a power button...

What would you guys do? Live with it and hope it doesn't become something more serious, or see if they finally can make a lasting fix?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » May 9th, 2015, 12:57 pm

Hmm, that's interesting. It's almost as if the controller loses sync with the console and when a power on command is issued it's out of wack with the console's unique serial number.

If that memory block on the controller is bad or defective it's possible you might have other problems as well. If it's the console that has the problem that sounds like a different issue.

This is just conjecture based on trying to support a new embedded computer under Linux at work we're building for our customers. The embedded code and systems are way more complex and twitchy than I ever considered before. It's a wonder any of this stuff works at all.

My vote - get it RMAed. If you have the Serial Numbers of both devices - console and controller from before you may want to point out which ones they replaced so they don't replace the same thing this time as that clearly did not work.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 9th, 2015, 9:10 pm

I would try getting nintendo to fix it.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 10th, 2015, 1:25 am

ActRaiser wrote:If you have the Serial Numbers of both devices - console and controller from before you may want to point out which ones they replaced so they don't replace the same thing this time as that clearly did not work.

I do

They replaced the console, but my original gamepad came back.

Return to “Video Games General”