Unpopular Gaming Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 25th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Speaking of Tetris I just don't get what the big deal about it is, to me it's a forgettable puzzle game and nothing more.

I actually like quite a few FMV games.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » July 26th, 2014, 11:49 am

The Xbox 360 has the best controller of all-time (I don't know how controversial that is, but this being a retro gaming site...).

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 26th, 2014, 2:17 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, the 360's controller is truly superb, lots of people seem to hate the D-pad, though I personally think it works just fine.

For my unpopular opinion about controllers, I never cared for any of the Dualshock controllers, they just felt awkward to use and the button layout felt very unintuitive to me.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 27th, 2014, 10:37 pm

For my unpopular opinion, I actually like Streets of Rage 3 better then SoR2 for the Genesis. That isn't to say I don't like the second game (and the music was excellent), but the extra moves, ability to run, and basically the overall combat system seemed better to me. However, Streets of Rage 3 was a watered down version of Bare Knuckle III (Japanese game) and I like that one even more. The game does start to feel a bit tedious and long after you beat the fifth level but it's still a game I like to play every once in a while. Ironically, the hard mode on the Japanese version is actually easier then the normal mode on the U.S. version.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 28th, 2014, 1:22 am

I don't think Ninja Gaiden 3 is that bad of a game, I know some said it was too easy, and while I did miss certain elements of the first two games, I still think it's a worthy entry in the series.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » July 29th, 2014, 5:20 pm

How about this: I LOVE Ninja Gaiden 3 for the nes, and I still think that it has the best gameplay of the series!

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » July 30th, 2014, 1:54 pm

I love well-done cutscenes and I actually anticipate their arrival, since they give me a little break before I get back into the action. I'd go as far as saying that a good cutscene acts as a sort of reward for me getting a bit further in a game. The only time I don't like them is when they happen often enough to break the flow of a game, and the only game I can point to as an example of that happening is Metal Gear Solid 2.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is superior to Arkham City. Arkham City is a very fun game with some improvements over Asylum (more and better boss battles, for one thing) and it definitely has more to do and more replay value.  However it doesn't have the mood, atmosphere or pacing of the original, it holds your hand way too much, the writing and dialogue are worse and it doesn't have anything quite as awesome as the Scarecrow sequences in the original game.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 30th, 2014, 2:12 pm

[QUOTE=velcrozombie]

Batman: Arkham Asylum is superior to Arkham City. Arkham City is a very fun game with some improvements over Asylum (more and better boss battles, for one thing) and it definitely has more to do and more replay value.  However it doesn't have the mood, atmosphere or pacing of the original, it holds your hand way too much, the writing and dialogue are worse and it doesn't have anything quite as awesome as the Scarecrow sequences in the original game.[/QUOTE]

I don't even think this is close.  The first game is a straight up Metroidvania and the other two are "open world" games.  Those two genres practically make up the two end points of the "appeals to Atarifever" scale of gaming.  Metroidvania beats open world 100% for me.  I couldn't care less for sandboxes, and never much liked them even at the playground.  I always got on the swings and got as high as I could before leaping out into space, or ran up the slide and jumped off the ladder.  Give me a defined experience.  Don't worry, I'll find ways to adjust it to my own liking.  A sandbox is just a pile of dirt you can shape into different shaped dirt. 

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » August 1st, 2014, 2:12 pm

As fantastic as Donkey Kong Country Returns is, I prefer Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

LoganRuckman1

Postby LoganRuckman1 » December 6th, 2014, 12:48 am

Perhaps it's because I played it first, but I feel that Metroid Zero Mission is far superior to the NES original, which is a great game itself. ZM is a remake done right.

I haven't played it in years, but I think Paperboy 64 is a decent game.

I prefer Diddy Kong Racing over Mario Kart 64.

Gen 3 is the best generation of Pokemon, IMO.

MKWii is better than MK7, in my opinion.

Return to “Video Games General”