Unpopular Gaming Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 21st, 2014, 2:46 pm

[QUOTE=ZetaX]I never cared for NES (or Master System) controllers.  I liked the feel of the Atari joystick (and paddles), and always felt like NES controllers were cheap and junky.  Plus, I was used to using my right hand for the directional control and left thumb for pushing the fire button...NES flipped that around.[/QUOTE]

As we all know, the Atari paddle controller is the best controller design ever. [biggrin]

[QUOTE=ZetaX]The only Zelda game I've cared for was Link's Crossbow Training (Wii).  Not truly a "Zelda game", I suppose.

RPGs are tedious antifun.

After re-reading those last two gripes, I guess I just don't care for games where you have to wander around and look for stuff.  If you like to explore virtual worlds, Zelda and RPGs are probably fun.  Just not my cup of tea.[/QUOTE]

Despite loving RPGs and Zelda, I definitely agree with you to an extent.

I have moods where I feel just like what you describe. Where I can't be bothered to buy into the fantasy of these games enough to invest heavily in them. RPGs in particular seem overloaded with data, systems, and arcane information to analyze, which appear to be the exact opposite of fun. There's a certain intangible magic to RPGs that you can't get anywhere else, though. It's like an emergent property that you have to suspend your disbelief for a while and surrender a little time and patience to actually begin to experience. They're really a hate-it-or-love-it genre. Either they speak to you or they don't, and there's nothing wrong with being on either end of the spectrum.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 21st, 2014, 2:49 pm

[QUOTE=ZetaX]I never cared for NES (or Master System) controllers.  I liked the feel of the Atari joystick (and paddles), and always felt like NES controllers were cheap and junky.  Plus, I was used to using my right hand for the directional control and left thumb for pushing the fire button...NES flipped that around.

The only Zelda game I've cared for was Link's Crossbow Training (Wii).  Not truly a "Zelda game", I suppose.

RPGs are tedious antifun.

After re-reading those last two gripes, I guess I just don't care for games where you have to wander around and look for stuff.  If you like to explore virtual worlds, Zelda and RPGs are probably fun.  Just not my cup of tea.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Nintendoland Zelda? Another arcade Zelda title, and yes, they are 'true' Zelda's cause they were made by the EAD Studio!

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » July 21st, 2014, 3:52 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate]
As we all know, the Atari paddle controller is the best controller design ever. [biggrin]
[/QUOTE]

Hey, this is all you need...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12784986

Keeps your paddles jiggle & stutter-free!  (They should put that on the side of the can!)

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
Have you played Nintendoland Zelda? Another arcade Zelda title, and yes, they are 'true' Zelda's cause they were made by the EAD Studio!
[/QUOTE]

My Wii U came with the Mario & Luigi games, so I haven't tried this one yet.   I'll keep an eye out for it though, thanks for the suggestion.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » July 21st, 2014, 4:12 pm

1. I've always kind of liked the INTV controllers.

2. I never got into Star Fox 64. Found the game way too short and just not very fun.

3. As much as I loved the first two Bioshocks, I could not figure out why so many people liked Bioshock Infinite. I was extremely disappointed.

4. I don't like the multiplayer in the newer Mario 2D games. It seems like there are a lot of cheap deaths from bouncing on another character's head and dying.

5. Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I really don't like playing stealth mode in gaming. Just not my cup of tea. I was going to buy the new Wolfenstein game on the X-Box One until I read that there's a lot of stealth play.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » July 21st, 2014, 5:08 pm

I think the Gamecube has the best controller of any Nintendo console.

I prefer playing the Hitman games non-stealthily and just killing everyone in sight.

The 32X wasn't THAT bad of a console, it did have some good games like Knuckles Chaotix.

I think the first Black Ops game was pretty overrated, I did not find it particularly fun for the most part as there were too many frustrating bits and I thought the story was a mess overall, also didn't care for World At War at all.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » July 21st, 2014, 6:14 pm

The most unpopular opinion I can think of that I have is that Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency makes more valid points than invalid points.  Also, I believe the industry needs a critic like her, even if I don't agree with her on everything. However, the video game community  has made her out to be the devil, which she is not.  There are many terribly sexists things about video games (for example the entire alien space ship level in Duke Nukem Forever and pretty much the entire Saints Row Franchise).  Its embarrassing to see a man slapping wall boobs in a game.  I'm glad someone is addressing it.

To be fair, Anita is not perfect. She has a habit of lumping in valid criticisms of her with 12 year olds threatening to rape and murder her.  Pretty much all public figures get that kind of hate email online, so thats unfair for her to do. She should address her reasonable critics. Also, she sometimes mistakes adult themes in games handled maturely for exploitation.  However, overall, I find myself agreeing a lot with her, and I seem to be one of the very few gamers who does.  Maybe if she addressed her critics more and opened lines of communication, more gamers would find common ground with her.

pacguy191

Postby pacguy191 » July 21st, 2014, 6:43 pm

[QUOTE=Edward]There are many terribly sexists things about video games (for example the entire alien space ship level in Duke Nukem Forever and pretty much the entire Saints Row Franchise).[/QUOTE]
Isn't Saint's Row one of the game series to let you crossdress and be a male or female to whatever degree you want? Truly sexist. Besides, they're satire, not meant to be taken seriously.

I'm pretty sure Anita doesn't even play half the games she claims are sexist (her review of Hitman Absolution proved that).

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » July 21st, 2014, 7:09 pm

[QUOTE=Edward]The most unpopular opinion I can think of that I have is that Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency makes more valid points than invalid points.  Also, I believe the industry needs a critic like her, even if I don't agree with her on everything. However, the video game community  has made her out to be the devil, which she is not.  There are many terribly sexists things about video games (for example the entire alien space ship level in Duke Nukem Forever and pretty much the entire Saints Row Franchise).  Its embarrassing to see a man slapping wall boobs in a game.  I'm glad someone is addressing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's incidents like the anti-Anita explosion that make me sometimes hate people (gamers especially), the Internet, and everything. 

I guess some people just take their games very seriously and can't tolerate someone publicly denouncing their favorites for any reason. (It's not like she's saying every gender-insensitive game is a steaming pile of $%&@--Saints Row or GTA may be sexist, but they're still fun games).

The truth is that, traditionally, women in the game development scene were a rare exception.

That gender disparity comes through in the structures and themes which have become commonplace in games ("save the princess," for example). If more women were involved in the development of games and the industry were not so slanted in many cases (check out #1reasonwhy for examples), we would also see a greater representation of female characters (and I mean actual characters).

--

I've been glad to find that this forum is one of the least myopic corners of the gaming community that I've ever discovered. I hope it stays that way.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » July 21st, 2014, 7:48 pm

[QUOTE=pacguy19][QUOTE=Edward]There are many terribly sexists things about video games (for example the entire alien space ship level in Duke Nukem Forever and pretty much the entire Saints Row Franchise).[/QUOTE]
Isn't Saint's Row one of the game series to let you crossdress and be a male or female to whatever degree you want? Truly sexist. Besides, they're satire, not meant to be taken seriously.

I'm pretty sure Anita doesn't even play half the games she claims are sexist (her review of Hitman Absolution proved that).[/QUOTE]

There is big time sexism in saints row. For example, there is a fast food restaurant in the game called "Freckle b***hes" an obvious parody of Wendy's. Is that supposed to be funny or biting satire? Its just sexism in my eyes. I remember many examples like that in the Saint's Row series, and also most women in the games being mainly sex objects.  It is really juvenile and rarely funny.  But there are still elements of the games I like, like all the side quests and unique missions, which makes this pointless awfulness stick out.

I agree that Anita doesn't get everything right, and she screwed up in her criticisms of Hitman.  She seemed to forget that there are actually Hitman games where you can murder men while they are urinating, so its not just all murdering strippers (which wasn't even the goal of the level anyway like she made it seem like.)  However, I don't think she deserves all the hate she gets.  There are too many games I play that are  juvenile, sexist, and just plain embarrassing, and I am glad she's talking about them.  I just wish she'd make it more of an open conversation and less of a one way lecture.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » July 21st, 2014, 9:14 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Edward]The most unpopular opinion I can think of that I have is that Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency makes more valid points than invalid points.  Also, I believe the industry needs a critic like her, even if I don't agree with her on everything. However, the video game community  has made her out to be the devil, which she is not.  There are many terribly sexists things about video games (for example the entire alien space ship level in Duke Nukem Forever and pretty much the entire Saints Row Franchise).  Its embarrassing to see a man slapping wall boobs in a game.  I'm glad someone is addressing it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's incidents like the anti-Anita explosion that make me sometimes hate people (gamers especially), the Internet, and everything. 

I guess some people just take their games very seriously and can't tolerate someone publicly denouncing their favorites for any reason. (It's not like she's saying every gender-insensitive game is a steaming pile of $%&@--Saints Row or GTA may be sexist, but they're still fun games).

The truth is that, traditionally, women in the game development scene were a rare exception.

That gender disparity comes through in the structures and themes which have become commonplace in games ("save the princess," for example). If more women were involved in the development of games and the industry were not so slanted in many cases (check out #1reasonwhy for examples), we would also see a greater representation of female characters (and I mean actual characters).

--

I've been glad to find that this forum is one of the least myopic corners of the gaming community that I've ever discovered. I hope it stays that way.[/QUOTE]

I disagree.

You will have shallow, generic, interchangeable characters, in a women 'skin', which you already have. Exp - that Ass. Creed PS Vita game.

Return to “Video Games General”