Potential NA Wii U owners - here is your bundle :

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » November 21st, 2013, 10:49 am

1. I think it only comes with one controller, so I'll need to order another one at least. Any other non-game items I should get immediately? The more expensive stuff I can get in 2-3 months since Mario, which my son loves, should keep him busy for a while.

If you own a Wii and a controller or two you're covered.  If not the only thing supported is the Wiimote Plus.  There are zero games that require or support two tablet controllers.  You could buy the standard Xbox style controller for the Wii U, but it's not required if you have extra Wiimotes lying around.

2. Is it better to order directly from Nintendo? From what I've read, there's some spat going on with Amazon and Nintendo, and the prices are higher at Amazon.

I got mine at Best Buy.  Sorry, I'm no help on this one.

3. What other games are good for a soon to be 6 year old?

Check out Sega's Sonic Racing Transformed game.  It's cheap and a lot of fun.  Up to 5 people can play at once as well.  You'll drive, fly, and boat your way through Sega branded courses.

4. Any other suggestions or advice?

Check out Earthbound, Super Metroid, and Zelda in the Wii U's VC.  It's awesome playing on the couch while the wife watches her shows using the tablet.  And when she leaves the room they look great on the big screen.  Plus, the instant save/reload makes the games way easier as well.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 21st, 2013, 11:05 am

You'll want to buy a sturdy protection for the gamepad. Have fun!

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 21st, 2013, 7:49 pm

New Super Mario Brothers U and New Super Luigi U support the regular Wiimote laid on its side and it doesn't have to be Motion Plus. They've also patched in Wii U Pro Controller support recently.

Wii U games in general can support a lot of controller options. Super Mario 3D World for instance supports the regular Wii U gamepad (Of course), the Wii U Pro Controller, Wiimotes of any variety held sideways like a NES controller (With digital control instead of analog), Wiimote & Nunchuk, or Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro plugged into the Wiimote.

The upcoming Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Brothers 4 are confirmed as doing likewise in supporting the full range of available options. 

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]You'll want to buy a sturdy protection for the gamepad. Have fun![/QUOTE]

What sort of protection? Screen protector?

Do they make something for it like Wiimotes came with (That plastic sleeve that goes over it)? I remember Nintendo released something years ago like that for their Classic Controllers but it quickly faded away. I ended up with several colors of it one year when they were bundled with a points card and Wal-Mart had the package on for $5 to get rid of them. 

$20 in points for $5 was a good deal that year. [smile]

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Available in stores on Nov. 1, the Wii U Deluxe model will come with two games - New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U - all on one disc. 
[/QUOTE]

Nintendo in the UK is doing one better now. A new online exclusive bundle just got announced that maintains all of this but adds one of the Mario Wiimotes, a Mario cap, and most of all, a copy of Super Mario 3D World. The regular bundle goes for £249.99 and this one only tacks on an extra £50 to that price.

So you essentially get a free Mario branded Wiimote as part of the deal since I assume that Super Mario 3D World retails at approximately £50.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » November 21st, 2013, 8:28 pm

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]I'm going to buy the Wii U Bundle with the Mario/Luigi game for my son, who is turning 6. I'm pretty stoked about getting the bundle, since I've been following Nintendo since Donkey Kong and Popeye came out in the arcades.

A few questions:

1. I think it only comes with one controller, so I'll need to order another one at least. Any other non-game items I should get immediately? The more expensive stuff I can get in 2-3 months since Mario, which my son loves, should keep him busy for a while.

2. Is it better to order directly from Nintendo? From what I've read, there's some spat going on with Amazon and Nintendo, and the prices are higher at Amazon.

3. What other games are good for a soon to be 6 year old?

4. Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks.

gleebergloben[/QUOTE]

2. I would wait till BF too make the purchase - someone online should offer a deal on the console or at least games.

3. Lego City U
Pikmin 3
Mario U
Nintendoland
Wii Sports U
Art Academy (very worth it)
Perhaps Tank Tank Tank - it is shallow, but fun, has a great muliplayer mode, and you can try it for 'free' if you want to buy it retail or digital.

4. Advice : keep in mind when you make a new profile on Wii U, you can have your own unique save files to the same game. Exp - Pikmin 3 only has one save file, so two have 2, you need two profiles, this can be good or bad, depending on what you prefer.  So you MAY want to make a community profile to share things on, or whatever.

Advice : do the system transfer with Wii - Leo was right, it was worth it, fun to have BC on the Wii U

Advice : download some demos, why not - they download in background

Advice - do NOT forget about the Deluxe Digital Promotion is you buy online games - you get 10% credit back for future purchases - why not do it? $60 Nintendo games are now $54, if you do not mind losing the physical purchase. 3rd parties, probably not worth it.....

Advice - if you have a Youtube account, use Youtube on the WEB Browser, not the Youtube App - the App sucks, but the browser verison is fantastic.

have fun!

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » November 22nd, 2013, 2:58 am

I meant one of these third party cases, they're pretty solid. 

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » November 22nd, 2013, 9:46 am

Hey Actraiser, Leo, Oltabaz, and Segatarious (you'll always be Steer in my heart [thumb]) ! Thanks for the great suggestions! You gave me some great information! I can't stop using exclamation points!

Thanks again everyone.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » December 1st, 2013, 6:04 pm

cha-ching! Just an update, for my soon-to-be 6 year old son's birthday this week, I just bought a Wii U with the Super Mario/Luigi disk PLUS Nintendo Land PLUS a Mario controller for 320 bucks at Best Buy. Score!

And since I was there, I bought the new Super Mario 3D world. I can't wait to play..... um, I mean, I can't wait for my son to play all of these games.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » December 23rd, 2013, 5:14 pm

Just another 'tip' Recently someone screwed up the left analog on my Wii U (I am not sure how they managed, but they did!) and I did not know how to calibrate it. Turning the console and game pad on and off did not help. I could not find anything on the internet, which was odd, but I did call customer support - you hold down +. -, a and b at the same time and hold for 3 seconds or better. Cleared it right up.

Another thing, when I first got the Wii U I did not have a problem looking at the 'big screen' when playing Wii U but now on just about EVERY game I play that supports both screens I find myself looking down on the game pad screen! It is kind of a bad habit! I might have to make something to cover it? I love off TV play, dont get me wrong, but now it is like an unavoidable attraction, even though the screen is not as bright as the TV.....

Return to “Video Games General”