Modding and Homebrew is not neccesarily illegal, but Software Piracy is.

General and high profile video game topics.
velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » February 20th, 2014, 2:14 pm

People are getting mixed-up here. Segatarious never said anything bad about
used games; ActRaiser was just responding to him by pointing out that used
games can have many of the same effects as piracy and did it by adding bold
text to his Segatarious' own quoted post.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » February 20th, 2014, 2:24 pm

Josh wrote:This whole conversation makes me sad.

Why?

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » February 20th, 2014, 2:38 pm

I do want to point out that buying a used game is not the same as pirating a game, economically speaking.  Game publishers love to say they get nothing from used games sales. Economically, that is simply not true.

What is one major reason people like to buy physical copies of a game over a digital download?  Resell value.  Therefore, the ability to resell the game adds to the original purchase value. Also, many people trade in used games at gamestop to preorder new games.  To be fair, the return on used games for game publishers is far from a 1:1 ratio. However, they still do profit from it economically through increased value of the original purchase.  Without a used game market, they would have to lower their original price. You are starting to notice many digital download places lowering their price, and the lack of resellability is probably a major reason.

I know almost noone here agrees with my philosophy regarding piracy. I respect other people's opinions. However, there is no reason to feel guilty about buying used games.  It is perfectly legal, and still benefits game publishers more than not buying the game at all.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » February 20th, 2014, 2:41 pm

velcrozombie wrote:I also find it funny that you came into the Wii Homebrew thread declaring
it to be illegal, and when you found out that it wasn't you end up making
another thread to attack from a different angle.

I NEVER said that - read my responses in that thread!  Act Raiser made that claim up out of thin air.

Also, we all missed me -  I NEVER said used game sales were bad - where did I say that?

Please guys, read carefully before responding!

I am saying WE ALL PAY the price for the people who pirate! Stop pirating, pay your own way!

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » February 20th, 2014, 2:44 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
Segatarious wrote:Pirates & Used Games are the bane of gaming :

-They are nothing more then petty thieves, however the choose to rationalize.
-They give game makers excuses and incentive to load games with consumer harmful DRM
-They have greatly contributed to the premature decline of several game consoles, including the Wii.
- They contribute to the regrettable decline of physical media
- They do not compensate game makers, thus hamstringing game development
- They contribute to the general decline of the game industry, leaving less studios, less games, and less variety.

Do not pirate & buy used games. You are ruining the industry. If you expect to be fairly treated by game companies, and have your rights fairly represented and lived up to, then YOU must do the SAME.

Fixed that.  The arguments seem to be the same.

For the record, I don't pirate or buy used games.  Does that make me holier than thou?  Or just a blowhard?  I want to give all my money to Nintendo, as really, they know best.  I mean other companies require their download games to offer trials on all download games.  Nintendo lets it up to the developer to decide.  One is more consumer friendly than the other; but, hey, Nintendo knows best.

Now that I'm done teasing.  Most of us have the actual cartridge on a shelf somewhere.  It makes no difference how I play it.  The whole Wii U back to Wii thing is a silly discussion.  When one owns a physical copy you can legally play it on whatever will support it.  Nintendo's EULA ignores that bit of detail.  They only remove it from the Wii in the hopes of gaining future possible revenue from someone else if you were to resell your Wii console.  Sour grapes and greedy, but, hey, it's a business and that's their job to make money.

This is bull crap - do not put words into my mouth, if you equate stealing with buying used games, well no wonder you are such a fervent MS supporter?

Please read the original post guys - once again Act Raiser is going out of his way to try to make it sound like I said things I did not.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » February 20th, 2014, 3:06 pm

Ignoring what's said, spinning it a bit, maybe, I'm using a similar style as our favorite Nintendo poster?  [smile]

Hey, I'm in agreement, stealing is wrong.  Don't get upset with me for agreeing with you.  Every reason you stated were also reasons stated for not supporting the used game market.  Good times.  Here's the fun part, we've covered this discussion a lot over the years.  

And I agree, Nintendo needs the help.  Maybe, I can pay them a 9th time for Super Mario Brothers?

Personally, I think I've given them enough over the years for the same game.  But that's just me.  

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » February 20th, 2014, 3:12 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Ignoring what's said, spinning it a bit, maybe, I'm using a similar style as our favorite Nintendo poster?  

Hey, I'm in agreement, stealing is wrong.  Don't get upset with me for agreeing with you.  Every reason you stated were also reasons stated for not supporting the used game market.  Good times.  Here's the fun part, we've covered this discussion a lot over the years.  

And I agree, Nintendo needs the help.  Maybe, I can pay them a 9th time for Super Mario Brothers?

Personally, I think I've given them enough over the years for the same game.  But that's just me.  

Name one time I have misquoted someone. Name one time.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » February 20th, 2014, 3:29 pm

@Segatarious

OK. I went back to the original thread and I didn't see you say that there was
anything wrong with modding your Wii. When I saw you bringing up the EULA
I figured that you were saying that signing it meant that you were agreeing
not to mod your Wii. Afterwards I saw the post by Atarifever and that
strengthened my misinterpretation. I'm sorry. I made a mistake. I just didn't
think you were talking about piracy, since it was something that was
self-evidently wrong.

I'm also done with this thread.

Edit: I keep getting Atarifever and ActRaiser mixed up. I meant to say ActRaiser
in my post.

Return to “Video Games General”