games that haven't aged well

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » October 3rd, 2014, 10:54 pm

Are there any games you used to love that just haven't aged well? You'll always love them for the memories, but if you're being completely honest you can't say they hold up against today's games.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » October 4th, 2014, 7:40 am

Most games do not age well. Most of today's games will not age well. They are designed to be played once, like watching a movie.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 4th, 2014, 9:52 am

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Most games do not age well. Most of today's games will not age well. They are designed to be played once, like watching a movie.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, games that were fun in the past are still fun today. Games that are fun today will still be fun in the future. I think the Critic once said "fun is ageless" or something to that effect. Usually, when we say something "hasn't aged well," what has really happened is that nostalgia has colored our perception of a game over time and made us believe that what was really a mediocre experience was in fact a lot of fun. Replaying the game in the present makes us realize our error, and we'd sooner place the blame on the game itself or the gaming zeitgeist rather than our own error of judgment.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » October 4th, 2014, 9:55 am

Pretty much 90% of the 3D games from the 5th generation of gaming and earlier have aged poorly. Still, I actually tend to enjoy the games a lot today although I can usually tell that the games are a bit outdated.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 4th, 2014, 11:50 am

I think Gauntlet may be a good example of a game that hasn't aged well.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » October 4th, 2014, 12:05 pm

[QUOTE=ptdebate][QUOTE=Segatarious]Most games do not age well. Most of today's games will not age well. They are designed to be played once, like watching a movie.[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, games that were fun in the past are still fun today. Games that are fun today will still be fun in the future. I think the Critic once said "fun is ageless" or something to that effect. Usually, when we say something "hasn't aged well," what has really happened is that nostalgia has colored our perception of a game over time and made us believe that what was really a mediocre experience was in fact a lot of fun. Replaying the game in the present makes us realize our error, and we'd sooner place the blame on the game itself or the gaming zeitgeist rather than our own error of judgment.[/QUOTE]

I was with you my friend up until the nostalgia tbeory that we recall a ho-hum experience as better than it was. Fun is ageless, but what we consider fun does change. We ask for more as time goes by, so football on the Intellivision is not going to be fun for a modern madden man. Likewise, early consoles had symbolic or cartoonish graphics that still resonate. Thus older Nintendo games may still resonate. It was the push toward realism with polygons in the 90s that now seem like an amateurish attempt at reality. As with art, future games may abandon realism.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » October 4th, 2014, 12:49 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]Most games do not age well. Most of today's games will not age well. They are designed to be played once, like watching a movie.[/QUOTE]

Your forum games don't age well.

Anyways as stated above, if a game was meh back then it very well may be overrated today. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug but it takes away your hindsight.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 4th, 2014, 1:19 pm

Definitely the original Goldeneye, it may have been groundbreaking for it's time but it has not aged well at all IMO.

I don't think the push towards polygons was "amaetuerish" at all, it was a necessary stop in the evolution of games, although a lot of games featuring humans(like Fade to Black) look pretty outdated today, though games featuring anthropomorphic characters like Spyro and Crash have aged better.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 4th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Mario Kart now just feels slow and dull, also having to play single player in split screen is naff. I know the SNES struggled to throw sprites around without dedicated chips in the cartridges but still. I did love it back in the day though and to be fair it's still a great multiplayer experience but single player, not great.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » October 4th, 2014, 7:27 pm

I tend to think certain genres is games don't age well. As an example, a lot of the old 3-D racers (Pole Position, Hang On, Night Driver, etc.) feel horrible today. The sense of...I don't know...weight...is absent in those games. Sega Rally and Gran Turismo sort of ruined older racing games for me.

Return to “Video Games General”