How do people like Super Mario Land?

General and high profile video game topics.
weallmissedme1

Postby weallmissedme1 » June 27th, 2014, 9:25 pm

I'm sorry, but after playing it again, it's pretty terrible! The controls, hit detection, jumping, level designs, it all sucks.....

The graphics are very bad, even for gameboy. Even TETRIS looked better. Frickin' TETRIS! The Sequel, if fine tuned a bit more, could be the BEST MARIO GAME EVER! But Super Mario Land? Why do people love it? If you're someone who does, please tell me why. Is it the shooting stages? All 2 of them? Is it really worth gushing over 2 stages? Sorry guys, but the game just doesn't do it for me, it's broken!

Mario5001

Postby Mario5001 » June 28th, 2014, 7:15 am

I enjoyed every level of the game and did not mind the graphics since they reminded me of the graphics for the first Super Mario Bros. game.

By the way, why did you capitalize certain words in your message?

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » June 28th, 2014, 11:10 am

It is poor for a Mario game, but I do like the zoomed out original better than the zoomed in sequel. In my opinion the sequel is worse, at least the first GB Mario retains the aspect (more or less) of a Mario platformer, even if the action is quite tiny.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » June 28th, 2014, 11:53 am

I love it personally, it was my first exposure to Mario so I have a fondness for it.
I much prefer the fact that Mario doesn't slip and slide in this game, giving it a different dynamic.

I certainly don't feel it's broken in anyway, controls are fine just different to other Mario titles. I think the level design works well especially when you consider it was designed for the original Game Boy and it's screen blur.

Also it's the perfect length for a portable game with no save feature.

Definitely and 'A' game for me.

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » June 28th, 2014, 12:03 pm

I actually like how it's designed not to horribly blur the original Game Boy screen.

It's got a special place in my collection. I love the music and sound effects, I don't love the inconsistent difficulty shifts. It's an early release.

velcrozombie1

Postby velcrozombie1 » June 28th, 2014, 12:39 pm

It's an odd game. I don't have any valid opinions about it's quality since I haven't played in 20 years, though. One interesting thing I remember that seems unique from other Mario platformers is the specific cultural references it makes - the Egyptian sphinx, the Easter Island statues, the hopping Chinese phantoms.

Edward1

Postby Edward1 » June 28th, 2014, 1:42 pm

I think Super Mario Land is held in such high regard, because its probably the first handheld platformer millions of people ever played.  In that sense, it is an accomplishment, being able to take Mario with you on the go.  However, I agree, the game has aged terribly.  I hate the physics to game. Mario falls WAY too fast, making precision jumping very difficult.  However, if the game had better physics, I think it had some neat levels though and would be a good game.

Another example that is similiar is Wolfenstein 3d. Millions of people hold Wolfenstein 3d in high regard because its the first FPS millions of people ever played. However, just like Mario Land, it hasn't aged well at all because of its horribly generic blocky levels, which was about all the technology allowed for at the time. Its sequel (Doom) has aged significantly better, just like Mario land 2 did.

I agree Super Mario land 2 is significantly better than Super Mario Land 1. It was almost as good as  Mario World and 3.  However, I can still say I respect Mario land 1 for what it was in the day, but I hate playing it today, just like I hate playing Wolfenstein 3d today.

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » June 30th, 2014, 9:39 pm

I never played this game as a kid, but always wanted to, but I bought this game as one of my first Virtual Console purchases for my 3DS; it's definitely quite outdated, but is very unique to the series. What other Mario game allows you to stomp Moai heads, sphinxes, and play shmup levels? Even though it's outdated and not as intuitive as prior Super Mario games, I'd say it's worth a couple dollars or a freebie with Club Nintendo's Coin system. Super Mario Land 2 and Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 are the ones to start out with; terrific, if a bit easy, platformers for the monochrome handheld.

kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » July 1st, 2014, 8:05 am

You gotta stand back and think: Super Mario Land was a Gameboy launch title released in 1989. Developers had not yet harnessed the true power of this system. I personally think the game was quite impressive. Yes it had some flaws but overall it was a pretty fun game to play.

Return to “Video Games General”