Games that you had to beat 100%

General and high profile video game topics.
velcrozombie

Re: Games that you had to beat 100%

Postby velcrozombie » April 19th, 2015, 8:25 pm

I don't know if I've finished a newer game 100%, in the sense the meter that showed the percentage of completion was at 100%. The closest I ever came was in Batman: Arkham Asylum, were I found every secret and collectible. That game did a wonderful job of making it feel rewarding to grab every collectible, rather than being a chore - you got neat artwork to look at and audio tapes of the various characters to listen to, you got points to upgrade Batman's abilities and you forwarded an ongoing side story with the Riddler, who reacted to almost every object you found - and once you found them all, you were able to pinpoint his location and capture him (or at least listen to him being captured). I didn't complete all the challenge maps, however, and thus never technically earned a 100% for the game.

For older games, one challenge that I've found adds to the fun of playing them is to beat the game without using a continue - or "one CCing" a game, as I've heard it called. I've only beaten a couple of games this way - Golden Axe and the original Castlevania. I did come very close to beating Castlevania 3 this way - I managed to get Dracula's final form down to half a lifebar before dying myself. I'd like to try doing this with some other games - the first two Ninja Gaidens and Mega Man 2 and 3, especially. I'd also like to beat Castlevania 3 with every combination of characters - Grant (which I've already done), Syfa, Alucard and a Trevor solo run.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 19th, 2015, 11:33 pm

That's pretty awesome. I can barely beat the first Castlevania and definitely not on one continue... I usually use at least 3 by the 3rd stage... Castlevania 3 is even worst. I still have never beaten that game.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 24th, 2015, 12:43 am

Rev wrote:That's pretty awesome. I can barely beat the first Castlevania and definitely not on one continue... I usually use at least 3 by the 3rd stage... Castlevania 3 is even worst. I still have never beaten that game.

If you ever feel like giving something like this a shot, take my advice: don't grind the game repeatedly. Instead, play whatever game it is once a day and accept whatever result you get, no matter how bad. You'll be amazed at how fast you'll improve and you'll avoid becoming overly frustrated.

Return to “Video Games General”