Games that you had to beat 100%

General and high profile video game topics.
Rev

Games that you had to beat 100%

Postby Rev » April 12th, 2015, 12:07 pm

So I'm currently trying to max out everything in Chrono Trigger and I already beat the game. I finished all the side quests, got all the powerful items, and have seen a couple of the endings. I'm now on the New Game+ feature, trying to find Magic tabs, get duplicates of main items, and max out my levels. It's also fun just running through the game at a ridiculous speed since I pretty much can kill all main enemies in one hit. I'm not doing it for some kind of reward; the game is pretty easy and you definitely don't need to do any of that in order to beat the game. Honestly, I'm only doing it because I really enjoyed the game and I want to achieve some pointless goal in the game.

That got me thinking.

How often do you guys enjoy doing things like this on video games? How often have you went for all 150 Pokemon or grabbed every item even if there was no multiplayer to use them on? I don't do this very often, and this applies to many different genres. Some examples I have would be:

1. Fire Emblem Awakening- I maxed out all character stats and gave the entire list of characters all available skills.
2. Super Mario Galaxy (1 and 2)- I grabbed all 120 stars, and then did it again with Luigi for no real reason.
3. Advanced Wars- I beat the game like 5 times in a row to unlock all the characters.
4. Cool Boarders 2- I played Hard mode enough times where I could beat the game with a perfect score (90 points).

and many others. I think I almost find more enjoyment from forming these challenges, in games I love, then just moving on to the next game. There are definitely times where I simply beat the game and then I move on to the next one, but there are others where I stay with the game, long after its over. What's your guys examples and experience with this?

Vexer6

Re: Games that you had to beat 100%

Postby Vexer6 » April 12th, 2015, 6:58 pm

There are certain games where i'll go out of my way to find all the collectibles if they are interesting enough(Battlefield Hardline being one such example), but there are others where getting 100% is just far too frustrating and time consuming to be worth the effort, like with Alien Isolation, by the time I got the torch fully upgraded(and got the gas mask) I had long forgotten where all of the previously inaccessible rooms were and I didn't feel like aimlessly wandering around and risking getting killed while looking for all the ID badges(which weren't interesting anyways) and Nostromo Logs(for the latter I can just listen to them Youtube and save myself hours of frustration).

I also don't bother trying to replay games on higher difficulties, as that's really not fun for me at all, the only game I ever fully beat on the highest difficulty was Dead To Rights, and that was such an arduous task that I do not feel like going through that with another game ever again(I also almost beat Timeshift on Elite difficulty, which surprisingly wasn't that hard until the final boss, which was ridiculously cheap so I just gave up at the point since I had already beaten the game once).

I never attempted to try and get every Pokemon, I knew there was no chance in hell of me ever doing that.

Last month I did replay Saints Row the Third and I completed all the challenges, cause most of them came naturally through playing the game, and I didn't have to go out of my way to finish all that many of them.

scotland

Postby scotland » April 12th, 2015, 7:42 pm

Guilty on Advanced Wars as well. My SP could have Advanced Wars glued inside of it and I probably would not notice for months.

Sut

Postby Sut » April 13th, 2015, 11:20 am

If I really enjoy a game I can get sucked into the 100% thing.

It started with Sega Rally and Manx TT on the Saturn. I had to finish and completely fill every time attack record on those.

It got worse when I upgraded to PS2 and GT3 was the pack in game. Not only did I have to get 100% but I had to buy every car. I absolutely adored that game.

Uncharted, Killzone Shadow Fall, Super Stardust again games I got 100% in.

In a nutshell if I enjoy the game and it doesn't get too frustrating (Atari Anthology challenges I'm looking at you!) then yeah I like to get the most I can out of the game which probably saves me money as it can take months !

Tron

Postby Tron » April 18th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Fallout 3 & fallout new Vegas. Not sure if it's even possible to do 100%, but I've done as much as I can.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » April 18th, 2015, 10:35 pm

I couldn't rest until I beat every boxer in under 30 seconds in time trial mode in "Super Punch-Out".

Tron

Postby Tron » April 19th, 2015, 9:09 am

mbd36 wrote:I couldn't rest until I beat every boxer in under 30 seconds in time trial mode in "Super Punch-Out".

Impressive!

I also had to win the game with every country in Brigandine (PS1) and acquire every secret character.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 19th, 2015, 9:46 am

I got the platinum trophy on Dark Souls II (which includes all spells, items, etc.) At some point I'll finish doing the same for Demon's Souls and DS1.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 19th, 2015, 11:15 am

I only did that if it unlocked new levels or something. Not just for the sake of 100% achievement.

juhis815

Postby juhis815 » April 19th, 2015, 2:02 pm

I'll chime in with one game where I recently gave in was Super Mario Galaxy 2.

God, if there's one star that I really, REALLY hate to get is The Perfect Run star from Grandmaster Galaxy. So, one hit, no checkpoints, and I managed to get to the fourth part of the galaxy, and that's where my frustration levels pretty much went out of control. :x

I also have another game in name of Heart of Darkness on PS1 where I gave in when I reached the part where Andy encounters the Master of Darkness itself.

I cannot even emphasize enough how much stuff there is to avoid to get to the next part, and that's why I stopped playing in that part.

Return to “Video Games General”