Video Game Clichés?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Video Game Clichés?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 29th, 2015, 4:12 pm

All right, this isn't the normal type of question that people post on here, but I'm planning on writing a book that takes place inside of a video game. What are some video game clichés that I could either make jokes out of or sneak onto the plot? It's a medieval fantasy style game, so I don't want anything that requires futuristic technology to make sense. An example is a guy getting shot in the knee by an arrow in the middle of a battle.

DaHeckIzDat

Re: Video Game Clichés?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 29th, 2015, 6:38 pm

Those are pretty good. I can probably use the one about each town only having one of each type of shop. But I probably should have mentioned that the game it takes place in is an MMORPG like Warcraft, so the world isn't entirely dependent on what one person does, like the bridge being out so you can't leave the town.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 29th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Gauze, pizza, rubbing alcohol, or other similar items immediately bringing you back from near death. Nevermind that you have seven slugs in your chest, that water you just drank will cure all.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » April 29th, 2015, 11:37 pm

Gameplay and story segregation, which is when your character fails to do something in a cutscene that he has been able to do in normal gameplay.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » April 30th, 2015, 2:34 am

Mmorpgs... You, along with three or four fellow adventurers are gonna save the world. You'll kill this giant dragon, you'll find that hidden sacred sword. You're a true hero, and, you're unique!! Yay! Ther's only one problem, why then do you keep crossing paths with other adventurers with the exact same bloody dragon head attached to their belt while holding the very same hidden sacred sword you've struggled so hard to discover? Now, that would be a concept I'd use in such a book. I want 50% of your sales, LOL.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 30th, 2015, 10:14 am

Oltobaz wrote:Mmorpgs... You, along with three or four fellow adventurers are gonna save the world. You'll kill this giant dragon, you'll find that hidden sacred sword. You're a true hero, and, you're unique!! Yay! Ther's only one problem, why then do you keep crossing paths with other adventurers with the exact same bloody dragon head attached to their belt while holding the very same hidden sacred sword you've struggled so hard to discover? Now, that would be a concept I'd use in such a book. I want 50% of your sales, LOL.

Haha, good luck with that! my books go online first, and don't come out in print until it's all been uploaded. I do one chapter a week. That's a good idea though, I'll keep that in mind.

Rev

Postby Rev » April 30th, 2015, 6:26 pm

I'm not too sure exactly what you're looking for but what about the abilities of a type of character? Such as women typically being healers, being quicker and more agile than their male counterparts, while usually being weaker physical attackers? Also, you could go with the unrealistic body proportions of a lot of female characters.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 30th, 2015, 11:34 pm

I think the VGC actually made this very list before. Perhaps someone can find it.....

Return to “Video Games General”