Retro VGS Console

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Retro VGS Console

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 11th, 2015, 5:44 pm

I was just reading this article about the Retro VGC Console. I'm excited about it!

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/05/r ... cartridge/

What bothers me are the cynical comments. Some people are like "those cartridges aren't going to last forever".
Do they realize classic gamers pop in 37-yr-old Atari 2600 games all the time with no problems at all?

Some seem to regard cartridges as a "hassle". Really?

Finally, I see a lot of people say "I love the concept, but you can't go back"
Well, I "go back" every time I fired up my old Genesis, which is quite often. So yeah, you can.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Hardcore Sadism

Re: Retro VGS Console

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 11th, 2015, 5:55 pm

Both this console an Yooka-Laylee are on the top of my list of hyped 2015 releases.

About internet crybabies, this is the entitled-whiner generation, nothing new. About 20% of any population is ever pleased.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » May 12th, 2015, 3:15 pm

Though it does sound like an excellent idea to my retro-gaming self, this kinda sounds like another Ouya situation to me. Only time will tell if its games are worth playing and not just a curiosity.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » May 12th, 2015, 3:37 pm

I've got my eyes on this.

It's gonna be about the support that it gets. Price point and support. How much are people willing to pay for 16-32bit hardware these days? If the console costs more than $100 it will have an uphill battle. Realistically the thing should cost $50. However, if they price it too cheaply consumers might think it's a piece of junk.

If they can get some indie developers that are currently making quality PSN and Xbox Live Arcade games to jump ship...they'll have a pretty good starting point. If they could do something crazy and get SEGA to publish Streets of Rage 4 or something on it...it would immediately open up some eyes.

Lots of potential here...but it is all going to come down to software available on it.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 12th, 2015, 3:41 pm

I think this system could explode at sales if launched at $30... But I think they need to make the controller either modular or very easy to hack. The OUYA was supposed to be a universally applicable box, but was just a buggy mess with pointless restrictions.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 12th, 2015, 5:30 pm

This looks like it could be awesome but it's really going to cone down to the games that are available for it. Hopefully it gets good support.

jon

Postby jon » May 12th, 2015, 6:58 pm

You need BIG time money or else it's going to look like some guy did it in his basement, maybe with his uncle helping out. It's pretty obvious to me that there's no significant money behind this. You think Sony and Microsoft would let these guys be on the cutting edge of 2d? ROFL.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 12th, 2015, 7:25 pm

jon wrote:You think Sony and Microsoft would let these guys be on the cutting edge of 2d? ROFL.

What the hell does this have to do with the big three?

I doubt the project leads are here to pander to your standards.

Tron

Postby Tron » May 12th, 2015, 8:26 pm

JustLikeHeaven wrote:I've got my eyes on this.

It's gonna be about the support that it gets. Price point and support. How much are people willing to pay for 16-32bit hardware these days? If the console costs more than $100 it will have an uphill battle. Realistically the thing should cost $50. However, if they price it too cheaply consumers might think it's a piece of junk.

If they can get some indie developers that are currently making quality PSN and Xbox Live Arcade games to jump ship...they'll have a pretty good starting point. If they could do something crazy and get SEGA to publish Streets of Rage 4 or something on it...it would immediately open up some eyes.

Lots of potential here...but it is all going to come down to software available on it.

I like the way you think. Imagine if Konami, Taito, SNK & Capcom made some compilation cartridges. This could be a chance to expand & make all the wonderful sequels that were never made. Baseball Stars 3 anybody?

Rev

Postby Rev » May 12th, 2015, 9:19 pm

It would be really cool if some indie developers ported their games to the console. I would love to see games like Shovel Knight, Super Meat Boy, Mega Man 9 (not really indie but I'd like a cartridge anyway), and others get a cartridge release. I doubt this console will be strong enough for some of these titles but I'd totally buy it then.

Return to “Video Games General”