E3 time!

General and high profile video game topics.
Vexer6

Re: E3 time!

Postby Vexer6 » June 20th, 2015, 7:28 pm

There is something wrong with a company making money to benefit if at's the expense of everyone but themselves, which is precisely why the vast majority of gamers rightfully despise this asinine exclusive DLC BS. That whole "companies exist to make money" thing is a very overused and flawed argument that people use to defend asinine things like always-online DRM in games like Simcity and Diablo 3 and charging for things that are already on a game disc and calling it DLC.

I think it's very misguided for anyone to celebrate the idea of exclusive DLC, it's a terrible idea that should just go extinct, and no most PS4 owners are not happier having something that MS doesn't have, the PS4/XB1 owners i've encountered online saying that exclusive DLC is a terrible idea have vastly outnumbered the few that actually support such an anti-consumer measure.

I never said we weren't "all in this together", so I don't blame people for being upset about the map packs, I never complained about it before because I honestly did not even know about it since i've always totally ignored multiplayer in that franchise, had I known in the past I definitely would've made some complaints about it.

David

Postby David » June 20th, 2015, 9:08 pm

Vexer6 wrote:I never complained about it before because I honestly did not even know about it since i've always totally ignored multiplayer in that franchise, had I known in the past I definitely would've made some complaints about it.

Really? I didn't own a 360 and am not a regular player of Call of Duty and I still knew. It's talked about every year at E3, there's a million articles on it because it's one of the biggest franchises in gaming, I'm sure there was stuff plastered in every Gamestop about how you get so and so first on Xbox, pamphlets in the case with "Exclusive Map Packs!" written on it - it's hard to miss.

Timed DLC exclusivity doesn't elicit emotions either way for me. If I did care it'd be more directed at retailer exclusive DLC. People shouldn't have to buy games from Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart just to have access to to whatever stupid bonuses each one is getting.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » June 20th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Agreed on retailer exclusive DLC, that's pretty annoying as well, I was especially annoyed when Far Cry 3 and Watch Dogs did that.

Here's TB's cynical redub of Sony's press conference(note the distinct lack of applause from the audience whenever there's an "exclusive DLC" announcement):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ8JrienGIo&feature=youtu.be&a

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » June 21st, 2015, 6:03 am

David wrote:Timed DLC exclusivity doesn't elicit emotions either way for me. If I did care it'd be more directed at retailer exclusive DLC. People shouldn't have to buy games from Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart just to have access to to whatever stupid bonuses each one is getting.

I don't see how one is worse than the other. Limiting customers just to package them up and sell them to various console makers is no different than doing the same thing with different stores. And actually, a lot of retailer exclusives are physical items, so the customer actually gets more, and may get a thing that isn't in the game without the retailer exclusive. It's an additional physical item sometimes, not an additional piece of code released from code jail.

David

Postby David » June 21st, 2015, 11:20 am

Atarifever wrote:
David wrote:Timed DLC exclusivity doesn't elicit emotions either way for me. If I did care it'd be more directed at retailer exclusive DLC. People shouldn't have to buy games from Gamestop, Best Buy, Target, and Walmart just to have access to to whatever stupid bonuses each one is getting.

I don't see how one is worse than the other. Limiting customers just to package them up and sell them to various console makers is no different than doing the same thing with different stores. And actually, a lot of retailer exclusives are physical items, so the customer actually gets more, and may get a thing that isn't in the game without the retailer exclusive. It's an additional physical item sometimes, not an additional piece of code released from code jail.

I'm with you on the physical bonuses, but not with the DLC. At least with timed DLC, it will eventually be made available to everyone. I feel like retail specific DLC is much less likely to get released to everyone, forcing you to either buy a code on eBay, pre-order at multiple places, or be S out of luck.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » June 21st, 2015, 10:10 pm

Also i'm really annoyed at the direction Nintendo is taking the Metroid franchise in, instead of ya know finally giving us a release date for Metroid Dread which fans have been anticipating for eons, they give us a bland and generic looking multiplayer-focused shooter, because goodness knows there aren't nearly enough of those.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 22nd, 2015, 5:38 am

Vexer6 wrote:multiplayer-focused shooter, because goodness knows there aren't nearly enough of those.

If your a multi platform holder yes, if your only system is a Wii U then it's probably a welcome addition to the library. Kinda like Conduit on the original Wii.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » June 22nd, 2015, 1:32 pm

Sut wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:multiplayer-focused shooter, because goodness knows there aren't nearly enough of those.

If your a multi platform holder yes, if your only system is a Wii U then it's probably a welcome addition to the library. Kinda like Conduit on the original Wii.
It's for 3DS. And I highly doubt this is the new direction Metroid is going. Pretty sure it's just a spin-off.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 22nd, 2015, 3:20 pm

nesfan wrote:It's for 3DS. And I highly doubt this is the new direction Metroid is going. Pretty sure it's just a spin-off.

Oops sorry your right. But I agree Nintendo have always used their popular characters/franchises for spin off titles and Metroid will still have it's core games.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 23rd, 2015, 4:55 pm

So final thoughts and scores then guys ?

Sony - A
Lots of excellent games lined Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, FF VII, Uncharted 4 has me excited, problem is it's all 2016. Fortunately the third party support is more than enough to keep me busy this year.

Microsoft - A+
Just as many great games on the horizon as Sony. Halo 5, Gears of War plus backwards compatibility. But the reason I edge Microsoft over Sony is their big hitters are this year not next year.

Nintendo - C-
Starfox looks appealing even if I'm not convinced by the controls. Mario Maker could be great. But overall very lacklustre.

Return to “Video Games General”