Game Review Recommendations?

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: Game Review Recommendations?

Postby ActRaiser » June 20th, 2015, 9:36 am

Splatoon!

I'd love to see you review it without connecting to the Internet.

Your best reviews are the F reviews.

and then you can connect it to the Internet and give it a B where you'll average it out to a C...or B...or C...heck I don't know how you'd review it other than it's fun, mindless gaming for short bits of time. Anything longer than that and you'll quickly tire of playing the same two maps over and over.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 20th, 2015, 2:47 pm

I prefer your older system reviews I'd like you to polish off some systems libraries like the Channel F, 32x, Atari 2600 as you seem close to complete set of reviews.

Perhaps review games on a generational rota basis games from second generation, third, forth, etc.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 20th, 2015, 4:06 pm

Sut wrote:I prefer your older system reviews I'd like you to polish off some systems libraries like the Channel F, 32x, Atari 2600 as you seem close to complete set of reviews.

I second this. How close are you to closing out the entire 2nd generation, at least of commercial titles? There are lots of places to go for modern games, but for the classics, the air is rare back there.

Also, I recall a number of members of the old forum who were really excited for Gameboy, Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advanced reviews.

If you are a completionist, a review of some of the notable 1st generation systems would be grand. Even if the review of each system was as brief as your game reviews, and not like your current long style console reviews. This could also grow to talk about some other early video game machines, like the Apple II, that are not normally thought about when discussing the hobby's juvie days.

There are also genres of games, like RPGs, RTSs, MMOs, or Europe/Asia only releases, that take a lot of time, hard to get, online games, or just are niche products. Maybe the revived "Reader Reviews" can help fill the hole by at least giving these games some presence on the site. Could even make it a theme month - play a given style of game the site does not have, and write a Reader Review of it. For instance, FF VII is back in the news...

Also for some specials, SigSauer and I like the plug-n-plays. If you have a PAL tv and a Speccy, some reviews of the most well known games (to compare to C64 or 8 bit Atari) would be fun for Sut. Its always kinda interesting to compare versions of games across platforms, especially back in the day when versions were really different.

David

Postby David » June 20th, 2015, 9:11 pm

I'd like to see you review Super Mario RPG for the SNES. It has a nice blend of RPG/platforming elements and won't take you much longer than most Mario platformers to finish.

Tron

Postby Tron » June 21st, 2015, 7:55 am

Brigandine (PS1)

Don't worry it's not an RPG. It's a Tactics game. You loved Archon (NES), right? The game is similar that you have monsters on a board. What's different is that The characters fight automatically once you decide who they attack. It's also like Risk in that the object is to conquer different territories on a map.

There's text dialogue, but you can fast forward it & it doesn't affect how the game plays. The animations are sweet, but after you see them a few times you can turn the animations off. The game is tough in the beginning, but if you can stuck it out it gets easier. Once you figure out the AI it's easy.

You're monsters & Rune Knights gain levels & they can change classes becomming more powerful.

It's one of my favorite games.

Tactics Ogre (PS1) (PSP) & GBA

You loved Vandal Hearts, right. These games are similar, but more complex. You have more characters to control, more classes to choose, more battles & more items to equip. The GBA version is the easiest, but it's watered down compared to the other versions. I'd suggest starting with the original PS 1 version. This is my favorite game.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » June 21st, 2015, 10:49 am

Battle Kid: The Fortress of Peril for NES. It's a homebrew platformer made in 2010 and it's brutally difficult. It's essentially a cross between Mega Man and Metroid, but the exploration isn't quite as confusing and the main focus are the enemies and obstacles, all of which kill you in one hit. If you're interested, it's can be bought here:

http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=86

Yes, it's pricier than a typical NES game, but I'd say it's worth it. There's also a sequel, though I never got around to playing it.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » June 21st, 2015, 11:07 am

I second the nomination for Super Mario RPG. Fantastic game that melds RPG and platformer elements. Really fun, and not as time consuming as most RPGs, so it wouldn't be too much of a hassle for you to review. Also, the original Paper Mario.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » June 21st, 2015, 7:47 pm

Demon's Souls - PS3
Dark Souls - PS3
Vanquish - PS3
Dragon's Dogma - Xbox 360

Seriously, at least play Demon's Souls!

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » June 21st, 2015, 9:29 pm

I'll second Vanquish, that was such a criminally underrated game that barely got noticed because Sega did a terrible job of marketing it.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 21st, 2015, 9:42 pm

Metal Wolf Chaos for the Xbox. It's a Japanese import that's freaking awesome. You can soft mod your Xbox using a game action replay. It's one of the few Japanese exclusives to the Xbox that never made it stateside. It's freaking awesome. I know I've mentioned it in the past.

It's English dubbed so you don't need to know any Japanese to enjoy its campy over the top storyline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Wolf_Chaos

Return to “Video Games General”