Best "next gen" HD era original franchise?

General and high profile video game topics.
NX17

Best "next gen" HD era original franchise?

Postby NX17 » June 27th, 2015, 1:00 pm

What would people consider their favorite non-licensed HD era franchise that started on 360/PS3/Wii U? For example, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear, etc wouldn't count because they were around before then. Things like Uncharted, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, etc. Which one has been the best since then? Just curious people's opinions on that since there's always a lot of 'unoriginal ideas' types of complaints around this industry.

Sut

Re: Best "next gen" HD era original franchise?

Postby Sut » June 27th, 2015, 4:41 pm

Bioshock - first game that blew me away in the seventh generation a fascinating game with one of the best and original settings seen in a game.

Uncharted like you mentioned, Red Dead Redemption.

David

Postby David » June 27th, 2015, 5:48 pm

The Last of Us might be my favorite game from the previous generation, and there were some great franchises like Uncharted, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Wii Sports (not my favorite but really impactful), but in terms of pure inventiveness I'd have to go with Portal. Escaping a series of increasingly complex rooms with nothing but a gun that shoots portals that allow you to move two flat planes is such a brilliant idea that it would've been fine if it was only that. Then throw in an AI that isn't all that she seems to be guiding you through everything - it's a perfect game. And you can finish the first one in under three hours!

I'd also throw another puzzle game into the mix - Catherine. The puzzles there weren't as engaging as Portal's, though I found Catherine to be more challenging, but I really enjoyed the bizarre story of Catherine. In between sequences of story, where you navigate a guy's love triangle between his controlling fiance and seemingly innocent one night stand, you enter his dreams and climb huge towers of blocks by pushing, pulling, and stacking them as you see fit.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » June 27th, 2015, 8:35 pm

Some of the best ones for me are Mass Effect, Saints Row, Gears of War, Dead Space, F.E.A.R., Just Cause, Borderlands, Crysis, Condemned, Dead Island, Army of Two and Dead Rising.

I can see Uncharted and Infamous ending up on my list at some point as well.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » June 27th, 2015, 10:05 pm

NX17 wrote:What would people consider their favorite non-licensed HD era franchise that started on 360/PS3/Wii U? For example, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear, etc wouldn't count because they were around before then. Things like Uncharted, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, etc. Which one has been the best since then? Just curious people's opinions on that since there's always a lot of 'unoriginal ideas' types of complaints around this industry.

I don't think the Wii U should be included here. It's from a different generation, so even its launch games had 7 years of HD console gaming lessons learned before they came out. As well, the Wii (not HD, but contemporary of the first generation of HD systems) had more important new IPs than the Wii U.

My favourite is either Wii Sports, Mass Effect, or the Arkam games. I really want to use Arkam even though it is licensed, because what that did with a license is a clinic on how licensed games should be (but are not) handled. It's both the best Batman game ever, and the best Metroidvania game of last generation.

NX17

Postby NX17 » June 27th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Atarifever wrote:
NX17 wrote:What would people consider their favorite non-licensed HD era franchise that started on 360/PS3/Wii U? For example, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear, etc wouldn't count because they were around before then. Things like Uncharted, Mass Effect, Assassins Creed, etc. Which one has been the best since then? Just curious people's opinions on that since there's always a lot of 'unoriginal ideas' types of complaints around this industry.

I don't think the Wii U should be included here. It's from a different generation, so even its launch games had 7 years of HD console gaming lessons learned before they came out. As well, the Wii (not HD, but contemporary of the first generation of HD systems) had more important new IPs than the Wii U.

My favourite is either Wii Sports, Mass Effect, or the Arkam games. I really want to use Arkam even though it is licensed, because what that did with a license is a clinic on how licensed games should be (but are not) handled. It's both the best Batman game ever, and the best Metroidvania game of last generation.

Fair enough, the Wii was a revolution (pun intended) but I was thinking more along the lines of established series who started in HD on their own with their own design and didn't need to be updated or upgraded from older models or modeled after a licensed figure. They had to go in with a blank canvas and put together a model from scratch with more detail ever having to be put into a videogame.

I would agree with Wii Sports and the Arkham games. Throwing in handhelds, I can't think of many new series on that end mainly because it's dominated by Nintendo who uses older franchises, but games like Kid Icarus were very old and never brought to 3D so practically new.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » June 28th, 2015, 5:52 am

NX17 wrote:Throwing in handhelds, I can't think of many new series on that end mainly because it's dominated by Nintendo who uses older franchises, but games like Kid Icarus were very old and never brought to 3D so practically new.

Well there are a bunch of new IPs from Nintendo on handhelds, I just don't know that any of them is my favourite or the best. The Pushmo series, the Dillon series, and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. come to mind as original to the 3DS.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » June 29th, 2015, 12:00 am

My top 5:

1. Portal
2. Hotline Miami
3. Bayonetta
4. Batman: Arkham series
5. Skullgirls

Runners-up:
6. Binding of Isaac, The
7. Super Meat Boy
8. No More Heroes
9. Bioshock (only played the first game)
10. The Last of Us (didn't get to finish it, probably deserves to be higher)

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 30th, 2015, 12:48 pm

In no particular order: Mass Effect, Gears of War, Uncharted and Mario Galaxy.

Mass Effect is the pinnacle of RPGs if you ask me, Gears of War is a fantastic co-op shooter, the Uncharted series are among the best action games ever made, and Mario Galaxy is 3d platforming perfection (you might argue agaimst it being a new franchise but I would say it is as new as any of the others, just with Mario as the character).

Tron

Postby Tron » July 3rd, 2015, 3:05 pm

Fallout & Xcom may not be considered new since they were born on the PC many years ago. They both have emerged on consoles for the first time in this generation.

Return to “Video Games General”