What's the longest you've gone without playing a video game?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

What's the longest you've gone without playing a video game?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 17th, 2015, 8:31 pm

I just moved out of state (whoo!) and for the past week I've been living in a hotel who's tv doesn't let me play my PS3. Luckily, I'm moving into my apartment tomorrow, where I'll have access to my own tv again. It made me wonder, though. What's the longest you've gone without playing a video game?

Tron

Re: What's the longest you've gone without playing a video game?

Postby Tron » July 17th, 2015, 10:48 pm

Back in 06 I had some crazy idea about giving up video games. I lasted a month. Since then the longest has been a week.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 17th, 2015, 10:48 pm

I haven't played consistently, as in more than once/month in over a decade. Just work and life and kids, etc. I have other activities I enjoy just as much, so I'm not deprived. Lol.

But probably the biggest reason is that I don't like to play by myself anymore. It's just not interesting to me, with the exception being Classic NES era games. Online stuff hasn't been available to me (no cable), but that's actually going to change soon. I'll be moving and look forward to getting a Wii for the Virtual Console.

Anyone interested in a Gamecube? It just gathers dust and I have some classics (OoT master quest, Mario sunshine, etc).

Rev

Postby Rev » July 17th, 2015, 11:03 pm

I've pretty much been playing games at least once a week since I was a kid.. So like 20+ years. Even when my interests shifted to other things, for a while, I always played at least one game.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 17th, 2015, 11:05 pm

It's very difficult for me to be sure, since my two male cousins have always kept up with the current video game systems and it's very possible that I may have gone over one of their houses and had a one-off without remembering it, but from around March 2005 until October 2008 I'm almost positive I didn't play any video games at all. There have been a number of other dry spells that have lasted 3-6 months before and since; last year I don't think I played anything from from the beginning of September until right after Christmas.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 18th, 2015, 12:10 am

Longest is probably a few weeks, and in that case it was because it was making my way through a DVD box set.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » July 24th, 2015, 10:17 am

As I'm getting older I play less and less videogames. Right now during the summertime, I haven't played a game in a couple months. I think I talk about games online these days more than I actually play them!

I also haven't bought a single console from the current generation. Nothing looks interesting. More same old, been there done that. So that sort of bums me out. I wish I could get excited about them, but really nothing looks ground breaking. The only system I have any interest in is the Wii U and that thing is pretty much dead, so I'm apprehensive about buying one. I think I will get one eventually, by then it will hopefully be on clearance.

I don't think I'll ever stop playing videogames. But I have other interest, hobbies that I'm currently much more interested.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 24th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I definitely think you should check out the current gen consoles at some point, i'm enjoying my Xbox One so far, it has some good exclusives like Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » July 24th, 2015, 3:27 pm

I own thousands of games, and dozens of systems. I've been a collector since I was 23. But sometimes I just don't play much. Longest I've been is 3 months last year. When I was just spending all my money on ammunition to go shooting. I get much more joy sending projectiles downrange than with video games. It just gives a bigger fun factor and is a very safe hobby to get into despite what some scared liberals may want people to think.

But yes, I went 3 months. I've been collecting for ages, and love gaming. I probably play my PS2 ever day now. Lately I've been playing pinball hall of fame, the gottlieb collection. Not a bad little compilation for 5 bucks!

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 24th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Vexer6 wrote:I definitely think you should check out the current gen consoles at some point, i'm enjoying my Xbox One so far, it has some good exclusives like Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive.

Seconded on Killer Instinct. Such an invigorating fighting experience. Very easy to get into as well.

Return to “Video Games General”