I have an opinionated bone to pick with the PS3 review

General and high profile video game topics.
BanjoPickles

I have an opinionated bone to pick with the PS3 review

Postby BanjoPickles » July 19th, 2015, 4:26 am

Okay, so I'm a tad biased on this one, but I was honestly shocked to see the Critid give the PS3 such low marks, especially when it came to the games (a C+? Really?)! How could you give a system a C+ when it had the following exclusives:

-the Uncharted trilogy
-The Last of Us
-Infamous 1 and 2
-3D Dot Game Heroes
-Demon Souls (!!!)
-Little Big Planet 1 and 2
-Twisted Metal
-God of War III
-Motorstorm
-Heavenly Sword
-Grand Turismo
-Heavy Rain (it was interesting)
-Ratchet and Clank
-Disgaea
-Yakuza

On top of that, you also had:

-Dark Souls 1 and 2
-Arkham Asylum/City/Origins
-Street Fighter IV
-Resident Evil 5
-all of the Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed games available on 360.

Honestly, I can't think of too many must-have 360 exclusives, apart from Halo and Dead Rising 1. Am I missing something?

LoganRuckman

Re: I have an opinionated bone to pick with the PS3 review

Postby LoganRuckman » July 19th, 2015, 8:27 am

Yeah, I feel that the PS3 library is better than the 360s.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 19th, 2015, 9:14 am

You forgot MLB: The Show.

JWK

Postby JWK » July 19th, 2015, 10:29 am

This is the same point I've been making since the PS3 system review came out a couple years ago. Most of the high scores the critic gave 360 games are multiplats. Those games weren't considered when calculating the PS library score, otherwise it would have shared the 360's A rating. When you consider PS3 exclusive titles like The Last of Us, Uncharted, InFamous, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Resistance, Metal Gear Solid 4, Demons Souls, etc., the two libraries aren't even close (in my opinion). Most major review sites when looking back on the 7th generation have said that PS3 exclusives were much stronger than the typical Halo and Gears offerings that Microsoft had.

As an example, at the end of each year, IGN awarded the best platform-- the system that had the strongest games that year. The PS3 won 4 times and I believe the 360 won once. I have no idea how having a stronger exclusive library and the same multiplatform games led to the PS3 getting a score two full grades lower than the 360's A. Unless he only counted multiplats toward the 360's score-- which wouldn't make sense and wouldn't be fair for a proper review of the system's libraries.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 19th, 2015, 11:33 am

I would guess a re-review is in order.

I seem to recall these types of reviews coming out earlier in the system's life. As a result, things change. When the PS3 first launched - a C was a solid rating when the heavy hitter exclusives weren't out yet. Plus, you had developers trying to figure out how to make a good port of the game with the PS3's weird memory allocation issues.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 19th, 2015, 12:21 pm

Banjo Pickles- there's also the Gears of War series of course, the Crackdown series(not so much the second one, which isn't bad, but definitely not as memorable as the first one), the first Saints Row, Alan Wake, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Prey, Frontlines: Fuel of War, Infernal: Hell's Vengeance and Perfect Dark Zero. There's also some good Kinect games like Rise of Nightmares and Heavy Armor.

Some other 360 exclusives that are quite liked(though not by myself) are Witcher 2, the Ninety-Nine Nights games, and the Fable series.

jon

Postby jon » July 19th, 2015, 12:39 pm

I'd say when the PS3 launched, a D or an F would have been the proper grade. The first year or two the game selection sucked, so much so that if they pulled the plug on it (of course that would never have happened) it would have been considered one of the biggest disasters in video game history.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 19th, 2015, 1:45 pm

Yeah, I don't agree with a lot of the PS3 console review. For one, I've never understood how the critic deemed the PS3 cases worse than the 360/Wii. I found the PS3 cases very durable, compact, and much aesthetically pleasing compared to the 360/Wii.

The game selection is also very, very good. Like others have said, the first couple of years suck, but it improved drastically over time. It should get a B+ minimum.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 19th, 2015, 3:25 pm

The PS3 definitely had the superior Mortal Kombat port. Not only is the PS3 controller better for fighting games, but it had Kratos as an exclusive character. Oh, and they revived Sly Cooper, and it was amazing.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 19th, 2015, 5:50 pm

I also thought the PS3 cases/packaging was much better than the 360/Wii.

As an owner of both the PS3 and Wii, I felt that many of the exclusives were every bit as strong as Nintendo's, with AAA third-party support to boot. Another thing to take into consideration is that the PS3 is still getting exclusives, in the form of games like Persona 5. Is the 360 getting anything besides multiplatform games?

I also agree that the first two years sucked for the PS3, with games like Afrika. The Kinect was way better than Move, but I'm honestly not a fan of either.

As for the controller, why arbitrarily change what doesn't need changed? There's a comfort in having similar controllers from generation to generation. Feeling the need to constantly change has, in my opinion, hurt Nintendo. If the last generation taught me anything, it's that fun comes first, and I honestly had more fun with the PS3 than the other two.

Return to “Video Games General”