PC/Console Convergence

General and high profile video game topics.
MoarRipter

Re: PC/Console Convergence

Postby MoarRipter » July 30th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Console gaming still isn't nearly as bad as the infuriating garbage that some PC games put you through. A couple of weeks ago I purchased Bioshock 2 from a coworker for $2, it was still shrink wrapped. I proceeded to install it on my PC and was confronted with some aggravating SecuRom BS that couldn't connect to its server and after Googling for an answer I found that they wanted me to go to this SecuRom webpage especially for Bioshock 2 and input a bunch of info about my computer configuration, as well as give them personal info, and then wait for them to authorize it and send me back some file so I could just play the damn game that I had the real disc and code for (a code it never asked me for btw). I searched around Google for nearly an hour trying to find workarounds to that crap and info was slim, I couldn't even find patches for the damn game except on questionable websites. I put the game back in its case and tossed it on the free table. Someone else can deal with that horse manure, not me. At least console gaming isn't that bad, not yet anyway.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 30th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Ah yes SecuriROM, I encountered that in the PC version of Dead Space, thank goodness that stupid DRM is no longer used on PC games. Ubisoft also had some BS DRM for games like Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell Conviction where you couldn't save your game unless your internet connection was working.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » July 30th, 2015, 4:40 pm

I can see Daves' point. To be honest, I switched to PC, and regretted my decision. I hated that I had to use Windows to play most of the games (CAN SOMEONE JUST KILL THIS HORRIBLE STRING OF OPERATING SYSTEMS ALREADY?!?!? OSX is even better!). I hated the physical media. Because, even if you buy it physical, you can only install it a few times! The graphics options weren't too bad. Plus, crashes happened a lot. Consoles RARELY crash, which is nice. I also hated that some games had no gamepad support.

I have many complaints with consoles. First and foremost, too much focus on internet. Consoles are meant to play games. The PS2 and Xbox multimedia was a cool feature. But it wasn't really promoted or forced. And most games had local multiplayer. Now, local multiplayer seems to be getting less focus. Why is it so hard to implement split screen? I like playing with friends. It's what I do. Do they want everyone to be anti-social nerds? What gives? Online is cool and all, but it shouldn't be the ONLY multiplayer there is. Also, to focus on the HDD issue. Perhaps developing new physical media technology would help. A form that would load very quickly. I think that'd help. Installation of games is BS. On the PS2 and Xbox, some games had optional installations to make the games load faster, but it wasn't FORCED. It shouldn't be forced now.

I fear not just for PC gaming, but the future of ALL gaming.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 30th, 2015, 7:35 pm

Meh, OSX isn't that great, if Macs died tomorrow I would not shed a single tear for them.

The focus on internet is inevitable in games nowadays, as people like to connect and play online with one another, while that's not something that interests me personally, I can't totally dismiss it or fault developers for wanting to utilize it in their games.

Installation of games is not BS, it's easy for those of us who aren't developers to say someone should develop a faster way to load games, but for all we know they could've tried just that and found that it was not feasible at this point in time.

I do not "fear" for the future of gaming at all, there are lots of games coming out that i'm tremendously excited for.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 30th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Vexer6 wrote:Meh, OSX isn't that great, if Macs died tomorrow I would not shed a single tear for them.

The focus on internet is inevitable in games nowadays, as people like to connect and play online with one another, while that's not something that interests me personally, I can't totally dismiss it or fault developers for wanting to utilize it in their games.

Installation of games is not BS, it's easy for those of us who aren't developers to say someone should develop a faster way to load games, but for all we know they could've tried just that and found that it was not feasible at this point in time.

I do not "fear" for the future of gaming at all, there are lots of games coming out that i'm tremendously excited for.

Up until Windows 10, the difference between OS X and Windows was like the difference between driving a brand-new BMW and a beat up Ford Focus. They've improved the indexing by an astonishing degree in 10, though, and the user experience so far is at least as good as OS X on a bad day.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 31st, 2015, 1:34 am

I would disagree, i've tried Macs before and I was less then impressed by them, I definitely prefer Windows 7(not 8 though, as that was clearly designed more for touch screens).

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 31st, 2015, 11:47 am

Vexer6 wrote:I would disagree, i've tried Macs before and I was less then impressed by them, I definitely prefer Windows 7(not 8 though, as that was clearly designed more for touch screens).

Hm. What do you like about Windows 7? And what did you dislike about Macs?

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » July 31st, 2015, 2:29 pm

I'm surprised myself, as I've always found OSX to be superior to Windows. I feel having menu bars at the top and always out of the minimizes clutter. I find updating the system to be much easier. The dock adds a whole new level of convenience to it as well.

Windows has one advantage. The start menu. (Then again, so does Gnome 3, which I enjoy as a GUI more than Windows). Which makes it basically idiot proof. But then again, I've found many newbies prefer Ubuntu's UNITY desktop.

Linux is also not hard. It's just different. Learning to use the terminal properly doesn't take long at all, and soon, you'll be thanking the heavens for such a lovely tool. Same goes for OS X.

I think the reason Vexer dislikes all the other systems, is because they're different. That's not being disrespectful, I just think he's used to what he has.

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » July 31st, 2015, 5:02 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Vexer6 wrote:I would disagree, i've tried Macs before and I was less then impressed by them, I definitely prefer Windows 7(not 8 though, as that was clearly designed more for touch screens).

Hm. What do you like about Windows 7? And what did you dislike about Macs?

This article pretty much sums up why I feel PCs are superior to Macs:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/desktop-pc/5-reasons-why-pcs-are-better-than-macs-mac-vs-windows-pc--which-is-best-3493092/

I have zero interest in Linux, I don't have the time, patience or skills to learn how to use it, life is far too short for me to waste time on that(you may have been able to figure it out easily, but not everyone can)

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » August 1st, 2015, 1:51 pm

Response to that article.

"Devices". Linux has run on EVERY SINGLE device I've tested. In the case I couldn't boot it from USB, I've written the system to a hard disk using another computer, and I've put it in other computers. And it's worked fine. So that problem isn't present with Linux.

"Games". Sure, Windows has the most games. So if you don't care about using a bad OS, you get to play the most games. I for one, game on Linux every day. Dying Light, Minecraft, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, Metro Last Light, Half-Life, Garry's Mod, and Portal are just a few examples of games I play. Plus I play Red Faction with the help of Wine. But I can't argue more games are on Windows.

"Security". This has got to be the most ridiculously stupid argument I've ever heard. "At least Windows users know their system is insecure". Uhm, WHAT? Also, no one has EVER claimed that OS X had no viruses. No one claimed that Linux had no viruses. I viewed a list of threats that target Linux, and I counted only FIFTY THREE of them. That's IT. Windows is targeted by MILLIONS of viruses at this point, and new ones are released every single day. Also, if you want a good laugh, watch Matthew Moores "Mythbusting Linux" video. Sure, the concept is cool, but a part of the video shows him trying to open a program, and it NOT WORKING. He then uses his Sophos antivirus, and scans the directory of the program. He says "YOU SEE. VIRUSES". Well, here's the thing, I'm not blind, I can look at the terminal. Those were .exe files, which are used by WINDOWS. Sophos was preventing the program from opening, not Linux itself.

"Value". Okay, sure, yeah, you can pick up decent PC's for cheap. If you plan on web browsing and typing documents, that's it. This guy acts like PC's can't be expensive at all. Once again however, this doesn't apply to Linux, you can get Linux PC's for cheap as well.

"That's as good a place as any to stop: go for a Mac if you have money to burn, aren't a serious gamer, and value a controlled experience over freedom of choice. Go for Windows for variety, value and the option to customise. Basically, get a Windows PC."

OPTION TO CUSTOMIZE? GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE. It's obvious that Linux PC's are FAR easier to customize. I have Compiz effects, and Gnome 3 installed. I'm also using a custom Numix theme. I also have 2 docks that are very easy to use. If I don't like Gnome 3 anymore? I can switch to MATE. If I don't like that, I can switch to KDE. If I don't like Numix? I can switch to the Crux theme. If I want a cube desktop, I can have a cube desktop. I hear the arguments "Well that stuff is just stupid and ugly". Well, yes, it is, and if you don't like it, you aren't FORCED to install it. But if you want to, the choice is there. Windows is not friendly towards the user. The user doesn't control the program, the program controls the user. Simple as that.

So yes, there's my response to that article. Basically, I think it's pretty trash.

Return to “Video Games General”