Mega Man Legacy Collection (XB1, PS4, PC, 3DS)

General and high profile video game topics.
Atariboy

Mega Man Legacy Collection (XB1, PS4, PC, 3DS)

Postby Atariboy » August 5th, 2015, 4:33 pm

Another classic compilation is on the way. Note the bit about retail editions being planned for 2016. :)

http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelston/bl ... -confirmed

Nice to see Capcom revisiting this franchise. Mega Man Anniversary Collection can't be played on many of today's modern consoles and had its share of flaws. And while this collection sadly is a bit more limited in coverage than that collection from a decade or more ago (If anything, it really should've been expanded to cover MM9 & 10), it's still a classic compilation.

That fact alone helps make this special these days.

Rev

Re: Mega Man Legacy Collection (XB1, PS4, PC, 3DS)

Postby Rev » August 5th, 2015, 9:26 pm

This sounds awesome. I wish it had more games to it though... The 6 nes games and nothing else... Still adding save states and stuff is kind of cool.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 26th, 2015, 1:51 am

Good thing the retail version is coming later. This has now been released digitally for the consoles and PC, and has an intermittent audio issue. Sometimes it sounds right, other times it struggles badly with some of the worst audio emulation I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFCgmM17zog

Clearly, we have another unfinished game. Hopefully Capcom/Digital Eclipse get it sorted out by next year when the 3DS and disc releases happen.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » August 26th, 2015, 6:22 pm

I really think there's no excuse for there not to be more games on this collection. Not enough reviews of this point out that Mega Man Anniversary Collection, released in 2004 or two console generations ago, offered all the games on this collection in addition to four others. The NES Remix-style challenges and the museum might tide over Mega Man fans for a bit, but this was the perfect opportunity for Capcom to include almost all the games in the original Mega Man series (just the original series, mind you, not the X/Zero/Legends/whatever subseries, though those are almost certainly possible too). Removing the challenges and increasing the price could be easily forgiven if there were more games. As it stands, this just comes off as slipshod and lazy, especially when you take into account that there hasn't been a real Mega Man game since 2010 and that all of the games here are NES games. Having only as many games as the eleven-year-old Anniversary Collection would have been bad enough, but even fewer is inexcusable to me. Next to the Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary game on the Wii (which was simply a 1993 SNES game on a Wii disc), this comes off as the laziest re-release of a classic game series in the past few years.

David

Postby David » August 26th, 2015, 7:10 pm

eneuman96 wrote:I really think there's no excuse for there not to be more games on this collection. Not enough reviews of this point out that Mega Man Anniversary Collection, released in 2004 or two console generations ago, offered all the games on this collection in addition to four others. The NES Remix-style challenges and the museum might tide over Mega Man fans for a bit, but this was the perfect opportunity for Capcom to include almost all the games in the original Mega Man series (just the original series, mind you, not the X/Zero/Legends/whatever subseries, though those are almost certainly possible too). Removing the challenges and increasing the price could be easily forgiven if there were more games. As it stands, this just comes off as slipshod and lazy, especially when you take into account that there hasn't been a real Mega Man game since 2010 and that all of the games here are NES games. Having only as many games as the eleven-year-old Anniversary Collection would have been bad enough, but even fewer is inexcusable to me. Next to the Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary game on the Wii (which was simply a 1993 SNES game on a Wii disc), this comes off as the laziest re-release of a classic game series in the past few years.

The reason there isn't is because they built a new engine for these games, and ported them over to it. Since the engine was built for the NES games, it makes sense that they didn't include any of the other games. For 15 dollars, I'd rather have an accurate experience as opposed to an inferior emulated one. I don't know, it's not very expensive, plus they're releasing a physical version of the game so I'm not too unhappy with the product. Unfortunately, it seems there are some audio bugs with it. I've never finished a Mega Man game, so I'm excited to play through it.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » August 26th, 2015, 11:16 pm

Aside from the wonky GameCube controls, I never felt as though I was facing emulation issues in Anniversary Collection, and I definitely don't recall any audio glitches like people are reporting with this one. It even had its own museum! This just feels like a wasted opportunity to show people more of the series. It's true that Mega Man is best known for the NES games, but there's so much ground the character has tread outside of those, like Mega Man V for the Game Boy or Mega Man and Bass for Super Famicom/Game Boy Advance.

Consider Rare Replay. It has thirty games, many of which are quite a bit more expansive than the games included here. If the games in Rare Replay (some of which are for NES and a fair amount of which haven't been ported since their original release two or three decades ago) could be emulated so well for a buck a game, I don't see why Capcom couldn't pull off something similar. $30 for a bunch of Mega Man games strikes me as a much better deal than $15 for only six of them and some challenges, which Rare Replay also offers.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 27th, 2015, 8:32 am

I have the GC version and it works like a champ. Never had any issues with any of the games. Everything always played smoothly.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » August 28th, 2015, 6:41 pm

I love the mega man collection on original xbox. There is a PS2 Retro con controller I use when I play it. It's styled like an NES controller with more buttons. I have a PS2 to OG Xbox adapter that makes this possible.

Couldn't be happier with it and is all the mega man I could ever want.

Return to “Video Games General”