What's your "Favorite" game? Ever.

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Re: What's your "Favorite" game? Ever.

Postby Voor » August 11th, 2015, 8:37 am

Single player: really tough. Probably Super Metroid or Ninja Gaiden. Basically a game that you can play over and over again for fun long after you've beat it.

Multiplayer: 3 way tie between Goldeneye, Halo 1, and Mario kart.

-for MK, I like the first one's battle mode the best. One flat surface and inclusion of the feather made it super fun.

-for GE and Halo, we always played the "one shot and you're dead" modes. Made you think twice before just running and gunning. And for se reason, Halo 1 always felt faster to me.
Last edited by Voor on August 23rd, 2015, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » August 11th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Single-player: As Scotland and Breaker elaborated on, this is a complicated question. I probably put more time into Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Tactics than any other game, but I don't know that I'd like to sink dozens of hours into either of those games considering the amount of time I have available now. As much as I love the Silent Hill series and the Portal series, they are probably better as experiences than something you can play again at the drop of a hat. Sonic 2 has, for me at least, been poisoned by the endless muck that the series has descended into over the last two decades. Castlevania 3 is a bit too frustrating, Symphony of the Night a bit too easy to break through grinding. Bayonetta is amazingly fun, but a bit cringe-inducing in it's aesthetics. Binding of Isaac has great replay value, but it's too reliant on luck. Hotline Miami and Streets of Rage 2 are almost at the pinnacle, but in both games (no matter how balanced or well-designed) you are basically using the same tactic over and over. Super Mario 3 is basically flawless, and if I were only choosing my favorite game through objectivity it would deserve the top pick. Having said that, I'm going to give Resident Evil 4 the nod: it has the spooky atmosphere of the original RE games while introducing a more action-heavy style of gameplay which is perfectly balanced to simultaneously make you feel both powerful and imperiled, it has a large variety of enemies, weapons and environments that insure that you are never bored, it has a wonderfully ridiculous story with plenty of knowingly campy moments, it has memorable set-pieces galore, it has DLC before it became shorthand for nickel-and-diming, it has the best inventory system I've ever seen, it has the endlessly-replayable Mercenaries mode...and it has The Merchant, "ballistics" and Leon's perfect hair. It's so good that I can ignore the handful of QTEs that spoil what would be a perfect game.

Multi-player: Probably either Super Street Fighter IV or NBA Jam, the former for introducing me to just how much fun competitive fighting games can be when you treat them with a bit of thought and rigor, the latter for being the perfect pick-up-and-go sports game.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 22nd, 2015, 5:55 pm

Alright Rev are you ready for it? Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together (PS1). The GBA version is good, but it's doesn't come close to the original. The PSP remake was better in nearly every single way except for one tragic change. By making characters level up in class instead of as individual units it totally messed up the gameplay.

Hey Scotland, Advance Wars is one of my favorite series. I've been playing the two DS versions for the past two years. I've got Mario Kart that's been waiting for me to play on the 3DS, but I still keep playing Advance Wars. I've done the Campaigns, played all the maps & am still making created maps. I WISH Nintendo would make a new game. Even if it was Wii U only I'd finally buy a Wii U then.

PAAGaming

Postby PAAGaming » August 24th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Hard question tbh.

Erm, single player maybe Legend of Zelda: Link to the past with an Honorable mention going to Doom 2.

Multiplayer would be Red Alert with an honorable mention going to Super Mario 3D World.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 24th, 2015, 9:32 pm

Multiplayer would be Street Fighter II Turbo (SNES). A close second would be Twisted Metal 2 (PS1).

Return to “Video Games General”