Most and Least Comfortable Controllers

General and high profile video game topics.
Retro STrife

Re: Most and Least Comfortable Controllers

Postby Retro STrife » August 16th, 2015, 10:32 pm

I think the Xbox 360 controller is the pinnacle of gaming controllers, taking the best aspects of every controller that preceded it. PS2 was decent too, but Xbox 360 has better sticks. I disagree about the Genesis. Personally, I've been playing the Neo Geo CD lately and I love the small "kidney bean" controller- I think it's the most comfortable controller from the 2D era. The 2nd Saturn controller was good too (the one just before the 3D controller).

As for worst... there's plenty from the pre-Genesis era. In more modern years, you have the CD-i and Jaguar, and then the N64, Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U (yeah, let's face it, controllers have never been Nintendo's strong suit).

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 20th, 2015, 9:03 pm

Jaguar and Intellivision were pretty bad. The Wii and numchuck combo was too awkward for me to get used to. The N64 was descent but awkward when you had to use both the dpad and analog stick.

Anyone remember that PlayStation power glove thing? That was just terrible.

Red Clash

Postby Red Clash » August 21st, 2015, 10:49 am

Critic: When you do the lists, perhaps distinguishing between types of controllers would be of benefit for comparison purposes. For example, gamepad, joystick, paddle, pistol-grip, digital/analog, etc. As an example, the Neo Geo AES controllers are the most comfortable joystick/arcade style controllers, while the 5200 and 7800 are among the least comfortable to use. The Vectrex controller is somewhat in between them both.

Some controllers stand apart from all the others too- the RCA Studio II comes to mind here. Unless you're playing with an attractive partner those "controllers" are really uncomfortable to use in such close proximity to another.

Anyways, the following come to mind in terms of most comfortable to use (overall):
I'd place the wired version of the 360 controller and the original Xbox Controller S as the two most comfortable gamepad controllers.

Second place goes to the Astrocade pistol controllers- they alone are worth having the system for!

Third place would go to the Channel F controllers- they do take some getting used to but are truly great once you do.

4th place is the Gamecube controller- simply put, it is the best controller Nintendo ever made.

Return to “Video Games General”