Reproduction carts, are they safe?

General and high profile video game topics.
python16

Reproduction carts, are they safe?

Postby python16 » September 22nd, 2015, 9:39 am

There are certain games I would like to purchase through reproductions because the real thing can be waaaay too expensive. So I was wondering is it OK to purchase reproductions of otherwise very expensive games? Is there anything I am missing that I should be aware of? Thank you for your help.

Rookie1

Re: Reproduction carts, are they safe?

Postby Rookie1 » September 22nd, 2015, 12:43 pm

Ive wondered this myself. Whats the difference between a repro cart, or one of those flash carts, or just a rom?

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » September 22nd, 2015, 1:10 pm

Typically, they're the same, but the color of the case is usually different. Also, it will generally have a different label. This is done so people can't pass them as the real thing on eBay. Hence why Atari Age with NOT print labels for rare items. They're very reliable. In fact, a buddy of mine collects nothing but reproduction NES games.

Reproductions are also one of the few ways you can play hack/homebrew games on a real system.

Hope that helps!

Rev

Postby Rev » September 22nd, 2015, 1:12 pm

As long as you don't try and sell a reproduction as the real game than I think it is fine. Usually reproduction sites will not touch games that were released in their area and will stick with imports and hacks. Still, if you know someone who makes them than I guess it is fine. If I didn't care about collecting I think I would just invest into a flash cart at that point...

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » September 22nd, 2015, 10:50 pm

Don't buy repro carts unless the game in question requires a specific add on chip, like Star Fox 2.

Otherwise, buy a flash cart.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 23rd, 2015, 12:07 am

I absolutely love repros of games never released states side. I'll never buy a flash cart I use emulators to test games to see if I want to buy them or not. I enjoy having a physical copy of a game in a nice clam shell case.

Here is a list of all my repros never released in America and my grade for each one.

Mega Man the Wiley Wars - A

Pulse man - B+

Golden Axe 3 - B

Monster World IV - A-

Langrisser (aka warsong 2) B+

Twinkle Tale - A

Zero Wing - B-

Battle Mania 2 (aka Trouble Shooter 2) - B+

Greylancer.- A-

Slap Fight - B

Alien Soldier - B+

These are some of my favorite games on the console and they are fan translated. There is no substitute for having a physical copy. A flash cart is more like having a digital copy (no thanks).

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 27th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Just thought I should address this question, since I have first hand experience now. See the thread I posted in the Classic gaming section.

I bought two repro carts from Etsy and one ended up breaking my 32X. The contacts are really tight in this new carts - probably not made to proper specifications. I could look at the pins in my 32X and see that one was mangled. Now I have to get a new 32X.

If you're going to use these cartridges I'd recommend using a cheap pass thru like a Game Genie instead of putting them directly into your systems.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 27th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:Don't buy repro carts unless the game in question requires a specific add on chip, like Star Fox 2.

Otherwise, buy a flash cart.

I have to echo Gentlegamer on this. In most cases a flash cart only costs as much as a couple repro carts or even a single rare game. The NES and SNES ones are a little more expensive because the architectures of those carts are more complicated. The N64 Everdrive v2 with 99% compatibility is down to about $100 last time I checked. The PC Engine, GBC, and Mega Drive ones are also in the same price range. If you want 100% compatibility on N64 you'll spend about $160 and for near-perfect compatibility on SNES you're looking at $250.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » September 28th, 2015, 12:38 am

I just bought another Japanese exclusive repro.

Alien Soldier - Grade A-. This game is the most impressive Genesis game I have ever played. Produced by Treasure the game is the spiritual successor to Gunstar Heroes. If you didn't know any better and just saw someone playing this game you would think this was a Neo Geo game! Huge sprites with incredible animation. Treasure knew they did something special with this game as at the title screen the game boasts "its going to set the 68000 heart on fire". Want to prove to SNES fan boys genesis is graphically superior to the SNES just pull this game out and end the argument. Super tight gameplay with tons of moves extremely fast l paced. Little bit of a tough learning curve and too boss heavy is only reason I didn't give this game a perfect score.

Return to “Video Games General”