Any fans of "Awesome Games Done Quick"?

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Any fans of "Awesome Games Done Quick"?

Postby Voor » November 2nd, 2015, 10:20 pm

For those who don't know what this is, it's a semi-annual charity event of speed runners done to raise money to fight cancer. A week long marathon event of the best gamers beating old-school and modern classics as fast as they can.

It's a YouTube channel. There's usually good commentary of the tricks and strategies being used, and are often humorous.

My favorite was the real-time relay race of the Ninja Gaiden NES trilogy. Despite spanning 3 games, the difference between first and second place was less than a second!

velcrozombie

Re: Any fans of "Awesome Games Done Quick"?

Postby velcrozombie » November 3rd, 2015, 1:10 pm

I'm a big fan. Ever since I starting posting in this forum I've been adding topics for both Awesome Games Done Quick and Summer Games Done Quick and, while I don't usually get to watch too much of them live (my Internet isn't very good), I do catch up when they post the replays on Youtube. The Ninja Gaiden 1-3 relay race was definitely a highlight and a genuine nail-biter. I look forward to the bad and quirky games a lot - Murphagator playing Metal Wolf Chaos at SGDQ 2014 was crazy and hilarious - and in general I look forward to runs by PJ (who is so funny he should have his own Let's Play channel), Feasel, Sinister, Murphagator and Josh the Funkdoc (who sadly seems to have retired). PJ's broken run of Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 from SGDQ 2015 and The Mexican Runner's jaw-dropping run of Battletoads at AGDQ 2014 are some other recent favorite runs. The only thing about the recent marathons that I don't like is that the informal atmosphere of the first 3-4 years, which felt more like a bunch of friends hanging out than a charity event, has been replaced with high-tech, well-oiled professionalism. While it was inevitable that the events would have to change to accommodate the increasing number of people and the sponsorship dollars that various video game companies are now putting into the event, it's a shame that the relaxed intimacy that made the earlier events special is gone for good.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » November 3rd, 2015, 1:36 pm

I love these events. I usually catch the classics (Zelda, Metroid, Dark Souls) and at least a few obscurer titles each year.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » November 3rd, 2015, 9:34 pm

Yes.

The guy who can speed run "Ninja Gaiden III" with no pickups is my hero.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 3rd, 2015, 11:53 pm

Sinister's "pasifist" ninja Gaiden run, in which he uses no weapons at all (except for the generic sword on bosses) is amazing....especially through the infamous 6-2 level. He also gets through Punch Out...blindfolded!

I really enjoy Funkdoc, duck gist, and the guy that does Yoshi's Island.

I'm going to check out some of the ones you mentioned.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 2nd, 2016, 2:19 pm

Just a reminder that this years event starts tomorrow. The schedule is up online.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 10th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Another ADGQ is happening! Lots of good runs this year.

https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » January 17th, 2017, 11:09 am

Can be fun when none of the attendants try to speak at all or make us listen to their insufferably cheesy one liners.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 20th, 2017, 2:26 pm

I was a fan before it became SJW Done Insufferably.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 28th, 2017, 8:29 am

I watched a run from 2013 and they were talking about how $500,000 was an insane goal. This year: over $2,000,000.

Yeah, it's kind of gotten too big and corporate, but here's still some fun in it and it's doing great in terms of raising money.

Return to “Video Games General”