Great Football Instructions for the Master System

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 5th, 2005, 9:33 am

Can anybody send me the instructions, or at least a summary of the controls for Great Football for the Sega Master System? This has got to be the most uninuitive football game ever. Even with two buttons I can't quite figure it out.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » March 5th, 2005, 2:34 pm

Did you try looking it up on Gamefaqs.com?

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » March 5th, 2005, 5:05 pm

damn, i was going to say the sega notebook, but they dont have it listed

ill type out the page

[I]Directional Button (D-Button):

- Moves players about the field in 8 different directions

^ Upward
< Left
> Right
v Downward

- Will establish 6 different passing directions for the ball.

Button 1:

- Tackle
- Scramble
- Team selection
- League selection
- Start the game

Button 2:

- Tackle
- Pass
- Kick field goal
- Punt
- Block: Punt and Field Goal
- Interception
- Formation pattern selection
- Team selection
- League selection
- Start the game

As you noticed, there are certain moves which both buttons can prompt, i.e., tackle. But there is a formula. Naturally, each button executes its own series of moves, but during DEFENSE, there is an overlap. And only during DEFENSE, will Button 1 and 2 prompt the same move.

Play By Play

During GREAT FOOTBALL™, you'll find the plays almost identical to professional football. So, the following is a list of terms and playing instructions you'll need to master.

For The OFFENSE:

Running:
- Point your D-Button in the direction you want your player to run while pressing Button 1 or 2.

Passing:
- Press the D-Button in the direction you want to pass while pressing Button 2

Scrambling:
- When you want to switch your offense from passing to running, press Button 1.

Field Goal:
- If the point of offense is beyond the opponent's 45-yard line, you can select this format and execute the kick while simultaneously pressing D-Button in you desired direction and pressing Button 2.

Punt:
- If the point of offense is not beyond the opponent's 45-yard line, you can select this format and execute the punt by simultaneously pressing D-Button in your desired direction while pressing Button 2.

Touchdown:
- When the offender with the ball makes it past the opponent's end zone; or when he completes a pass in the end zone, a touchdown is awarded.

Conversion:
- Once you've scored a touchdown, this is your chance for the extra point. Choose an appropriate format and execute one of the plays available to you.

Offense:
- The offensive team has the 1st-4th downs to advance 10 yards, or the ball is given to the opponent.

Offense Break Off:
- The game will proceed to the next down when the player is tackled by the defender or when the pass is incomplete.

Formation:
- You can select a formation before each down. A formation is a pattern of the offensive play directions. Select according to your specific situation.
- When the formation you want flashes, press Button 2. Now, during a two-player game, the formation will continue flashing so your opponent doesn't know what you've chosen.
- During a one-player game, the pattern #9 is only for the field goal; therefore the option can only be selected when the player is beyiond the 45-yard line and takes the offensive.

Formations 1-4: PASSING FORMATIONS
Formations 5-8: RUSHING FORMATIONS
Formation 9: PUN/FIELD GOAL

For the DEFENSE:

Tackling:
- Move you player into position with your D-Button while pressing Button 1 or 2, and when you're next to him, continue pressing Button 1 or 2 to tackle your opponent.

Interception:
- To intercept, move your player into position with your D-Button while pressing Button 1 or 2 and when you're ready for the catch, press Button 2.*

* This play follows the same execution as a tackle, but the computer will prompt an interception instead when you are in a good position for it.

Block:
- To block a punt of field goal, wait for the ball to be released and then press Button 2 for your players to converge.

Safety:
- If the offense brings the ball into his own end zone and the defense is able to gain control of the ball, then the defense earns two points.
[/I]

hope that helps... (probably not)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 5th, 2005, 5:42 pm

Chris,
Thanks a million! Now I can review this thing.
Dave

Return to “Video Games General”