Ad Blockers?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Ad Blockers?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2016, 5:46 pm

There's been a lot of discussion lately on various tech sites about ad blocking software. I try to make the ads as unintrusive as I can on this site. You won't see any pop-ups or things moving across the screen to obstruct your view. I don't plan on adding any additional ads.

I don't use ad blockers, but I don't blame people for using them. Some sites (like IGN) are really obnoxious. At the same time ads allow the people who put considerable time and effort to a site to make a little money. Do you use ad blockers? If so, do you think there are better ways for sites to make money? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Rookie1

Re: Ad Blockers?

Postby Rookie1 » February 26th, 2016, 5:59 pm

As both someone that hates add and someone that used to pay for ad placement, im conflicted. Most websites have so much flashing garbage all over the place, pop ups, surveys, or whatever other nonsense they can shove down your throat that you almost need an adblocker to navigate things anymore. Sadly, you block out everything, which hurts smaller sites that are more modest in their presentation.

Personally, I gained more from paying for sponsored blog posts or youtube videos. That was something that couldnt be blocked out, and if a human is actually talking about my site then I would get more hits.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 26th, 2016, 7:11 pm

I never thought of this before but if an ad is blocked does that prevent you from making money on your site? I use some ad blockers although there always seems to be new methods that ads have found to get through them. Ones that don't pop up, I don't block. I view ads as almost a necessary evil as they do provide some money to go towards the sites although when they go overboard, I really hate them. I pretty much don't see an issue with it unless they pop up and force you to close them before continuing on the site, I despise those ones and am thankful you don't have any of those.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 26th, 2016, 11:34 pm

Dave,

There is an Adobe Ad that says "Get 10 Free Adobe Stock images" and on every page that it is on, it automatically scrolls you to the bottom of the page and you have to click out of it to scroll on the page.Could you possibly put another ad in that one's place. It is very annoying.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » February 27th, 2016, 1:10 am

I'd white-list (unblock) a website if its ads are non-intrusive and don't hog page resources, like break formatting at random or cause lag.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2016, 10:08 am

Rev wrote:Dave,

There is an Adobe Ad that says "Get 10 Free Adobe Stock images" and on every page that it is on, it automatically scrolls you to the bottom of the page and you have to click out of it to scroll on the page.Could you possibly put another ad in that one's place. It is very annoying.

Thanks for speaking up!!
I will absolutely take action on this - sounds horrible!
I just need to know what page you saw it on, and was it on the top or bottom??
Also need to know if it's the regular site or mobile.
I run two types of ads on most pages.
Let me know!

Rev

Postby Rev » February 27th, 2016, 1:16 pm

Hmm... I saw it a lot last night (literally was the only ad that came up for about 2 hours) but haven't seen it again today. Anyway, here are the answers to your questions:

1. It was on any of the forum pages, I tested it multiple times and it showed up pretty much all the forum pages.
2. It was always on the bottom of the page.
3. It was the regular site.

I hope this helps. I'm not sure how managing the ads works.

Rev

Postby Rev » February 27th, 2016, 1:19 pm

I just saw it again, I took a screenshot this time.
Attachments
AdobeAd.jpg
AdobeAd.jpg (131.49 KiB) Viewed 2104 times

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Thank you for providing details. I would hate for my readers to have to deal with offensive ads.

I use google ads on my message boards. I can block ads that lead to certain sites, so I put www.adobe.com on that list. Let's see if that helps. Worse comes to worse, I can block all computer-related ads.

Keep me posted!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 27th, 2016, 7:44 pm

Ad Block + No Script = No problems

Return to “Video Games General”