Favorite Baseball Games

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Re: Favorite Baseball Games

Postby Breaker » April 16th, 2016, 2:28 am

*you're*

I hate seeing typos and grammatical errors in my own posts.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » April 16th, 2016, 9:51 am

I have been playing a mini-season of World Series '98 for the Sega Genesis. I always enjoyed the pitching interface and when you substitute the default starting lineup with your bench players it does allow for a competitive game against the CPU. I remember playing a full season of World Series '95 years ago as the Detroit Tigers and went something like 140-22 with Cecil Fielder having over 100 home runs. To have that kind of time on my hands again......

What I have really appreciate while playing the game is seeing the background of several stadiums that are no longer around - Tiger Stadium, the Metrodome and those sterile cookie-cutter stadiums in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. It is a nice blast from the past from yesteryear.

I took Breaker's recommendation of Tony La Russa '95 to heart and looked into it and while doing so I came across EA's Triple Play Gold and ordered it (using the Critic's Ebay link, of course :) ) Anyone have an opinion of it?

La Russa '95 looked interesting enough but I have a feeling it would end up in a box along with other Sega baseball games that I'll never play again (Big Hurt Baseball, MLBPA, Roger Clemens and ESPN Baseball Tonight).

Favorite baseball game? Atari 5200 Baseball!!!!

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 16th, 2016, 10:28 pm

Teddybear wrote:I took Breaker's recommendation of Tony La Russa '95 to heart and looked into it and while doing so I came across EA's Triple Play Gold and ordered it (using the Critic's Ebay link, of course :) ) Anyone have an opinion of it?

La Russa '95 looked interesting enough but I have a feeling it would end up in a box along with other Sega baseball games that I'll never play again (Big Hurt Baseball, MLBPA, Roger Clemens and ESPN Baseball Tonight).

Favorite baseball game? Atari 5200 Baseball!!!!

I've played plenty of Triple Play Gold, as well. Very solid last Genesis effort by EA. Wonderfully rendered player sprites and stadiums.

The thing that stands out to me most are the injuries (incredibly frequent) and it was the first baseball game I encountered that supported the multi-tap. You can play as teammates, and set the defenders by controller, which is awesome. If you play as teammates and stagger the middle infielders and outfielders, there is no more wondering which fielder will be chosen by the cpu to be under your control. So you aren't accidentally running away from a gapper because you expect to be controlling the CF and the cpu assigned you to the RF instead.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » April 16th, 2016, 10:31 pm

I should also mention that those controller assignments carry over to offense as well. So each teammate will be in charge of their player for at bats, as well as in the base paths. Communication is actually necessary in case someone steals, or if somebody tags up on a fly ball.

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » June 18th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Just a follow-up....I had to finish my season of World Series '98 (I now will never remove the cartridge from the console until I complete a season for fear of losing the saved data) and I have given Triple Play Gold an honest attempt.

Not too bad, better than most of the baseball offerings for the Genesis.....but I'll stick with the World Series series if only for the nostalgia and the arcade-style playability.

I lost patience with the pitching and batting interface on Triple Play - it just takes too long with the button selection for my interest. It probably doesn't help that baseball is boring me more than ever. I have only been to Comerica Park once this season, left after the 5th inning (thanks Indians) and have watched maybe 2 innings of the Tigers on TV. I have lost almost all interest in the sport. Oddly enough, I still do enjoy reading the box scores in the local newspaper every morning.

I will always be up for a game of 5200 Baseball or Star League Baseball for the Commodore 64, though.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 18th, 2016, 10:59 pm

Teddybear wrote:It probably doesn't help that baseball is boring me more than ever. I have only been to Comerica Park once this season, left after the 5th inning (thanks Indians) and have watched maybe 2 innings of the Tigers on TV. I have lost almost all interest in the sport. Oddly enough, I still do enjoy reading the box scores in the local newspaper every morning.

I will always be up for a game of 5200 Baseball or Star League Baseball for the Commodore 64, though.

Newspaper?!?!

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » June 19th, 2016, 8:59 am

Yeah, a newspaper. It'll be a sad day for this former paperboy when the medium finally dies off. Reading a daily paper has been a life-long habit. While I do get a lot of the news, sports, etc. from the internet I just prefer holding and reading an actual paper.

Gotta go make some eggs now and see what Broom Hilda and Dilbert are up to in the Sunday funnies......

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 19th, 2016, 11:21 am

Hey I'm also on the newspaper bandwagon. The highlight of my day (at least on weekends) is sitting down with my coffee and reading the Baltimore Sun. For a person who spends so much time in front of a computer (for both work and hobby) reading print on paper is a treat. Likewise I only read "real" paper books. I guess I just like tangible things.

One article I read in the newspaper today was about some artifacts in a local museum that were recycled for various purposes - like a bust re-carved into somebody else. I got to thinking, I'm glad they didn't have computers back then, because their art probably would have been virtual, and we wouldn't have it now. In 500 years all this stuff we download to our computers will be long gone, but somebody's going to dig up an old Atari cartridge (ET maybe?) and guess what - it'll probably still work!

jon

Postby jon » June 19th, 2016, 6:15 pm

I read the newspaper every day too. Things like the newspaperman dropping off the daily newspaper will sound so foreign 100 years from now I reckon. Maybe the game Paperboy will be a reminder of a long gone era.

Return to “Video Games General”