Drinking and e shopping.

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Drinking and e shopping.

Postby matmico399 » April 10th, 2016, 8:45 pm

A fellow gamer gave me an idea for a thread. I enjoy drinking beer a lot and enjoy getting tipsy. And then plowing through some games at night. I don't have to get up too early for work and am home by 5 pm. I consider myself lucky.

But what my fellow gamer said made a lot of sense. Do not drink and shop online!

I haven't made any finance ruining situations while drinking and shopping online, but I have made poor ones with games I rarely play. Some for nostalgia, some for man I gotta try this! Then they come in the mail and a lot weren't what they used to be or I lost interest in the first 30 minutes.

A few examples are...

=Firefighter 18 (PS2)
-Iron Tank (NES)
-Back To The Future (360)

And there are more, many more. But now I basically won't shop when drinking at night. Luckily I haven't bought a system or really expensive game while feeling good as I am much more not in the proper mindset and have realized it. . I have been able to keep it in check. Although every now and then I look at an expensive item late at night, then wake up the next morning and rush to my phone to make sure I didn't actually hit the buy button.

Other stories of drinking and online shopping?

ESauce

Re: Drinking and e shopping.

Postby ESauce » April 11th, 2016, 6:43 pm

Lol. Good topic starter. I wish I was limited to that one purchase that inspired this thread while under the influence (Wind Waker download on Wii U), but I've done it a few times. Usually I've just picked up a cheap indie game on 3ds or maybe a classic game on virtual console or sony store (Definitely PS1 Crash Team Racing on PS3 was a drunk buy. I'm not sure who I thought I would play that with). The only other expensive one I bought is Pokemon Y because when you're really drunk you think you're a kid again. Sober me did not have the patience to actually play that game but unfortunately drunk me bought it digitally so I couldn't sell it.

I really don't drink very often anymore, which is fortunate for my wallet and my health, but when I do I now try to limit myself to retro consoles with no online connection so I'm not tempted to visit the online store and waste my money. And I always stay away from the computer because I'm sure with a few drinks in me I'd end up splurging on an Atari Jaguar or some other retro console I've never owned.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » April 11th, 2016, 7:32 pm

I hear Ya Bud and good for You cutting down on the drinking. I don't get smashed or anything but I get to feeling very well. I always am able to converse without slurring words and type well. But I'd never drive.

LOL, the Atari Jaguar. There are like two good games for it and I have been tempted in the past to consider hitting the buy button. Then I remind myself to check Dave's reviews and I'm like "Alien vs Predator" and "Tempest X" are like the only good titles. Then I watch them on Youtube and am like I already have way better games than this. Why spend the money?!

Yeah drinking and online shopping do not mix. Not deadly like drunk driving, unless you have a g/f who sees what you have spent. That could be deadly in another way altogether.

Thanks for saving me $$$ Dave!

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » April 12th, 2016, 6:56 am

A couple of years ago while drinking and Ebayin' I bid $400 on Bounty Bob Strikes Back for the Atari 5200. Woke up the next morning to discover that I lost the auction and was quite relieved!

It's a great game but the beer & Jamo made me a little too reckless in regards to my household budget.

Drinking and e shopping - know when to say when!!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 12th, 2016, 8:39 am

hehe, I'm pretty sure most of the games I've bought digitally on both the PS4 and the Wii U were bought late Saturday night after a couple of drinks.

Return to “Video Games General”