I don't like FPS games all that much.

General and high profile video game topics.
shootingstar

I don't like FPS games all that much.

Postby shootingstar » May 1st, 2016, 3:18 pm

I don't have too much involvement in modern day video games, but I have noticed that FPS have blown up since the 360 was new. I have played a few games (Perfect Dark and Goldeneye on N64, the original Unreal on PC) but I have never really liked them all that much.

I think one reason I'm not a fan is the short campaigns and focus on multiplayer. I think the FPS viewpoint makes it more difficult to fight enemies and maneuver as well, I do notice I die more often in FPS compared to other games.

The only FPS I really enjoyed is Metroid Prime, which isn't a shooter, and it also has control differences compared to other FPS (such as being able to lock on and strafe around enemies). I also liked Red Steel even though it had a lot of issues.

Maybe someone can explain the appeal of these games. I guess people just wanna play online multiplayer these days.

matmico399

Re: I don't like FPS games all that much.

Postby matmico399 » May 1st, 2016, 5:21 pm

I think for FPS the main draw is the online multi player. People luv to battle their friends and even strangers online.

I myself enjoy FPS, but I admit they are wearing thin at this point.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 1st, 2016, 9:40 pm

The New Yorker, of all places, had an article about the genre's enduring popularity. It suggests being highly immersive, a n effective level of control, feelings of competence or hyper competence, challenges that match the skill, the joy of rapid decision making, venting pent up emotions through make believe violence, and creating a sense of camaraderie with others.

A lot of that is true for many video game genres - schmups, platformers, etc - with the exception of the feelings of solidarity. I think FPSers were the best compliment to video games going strongly online. According to the article, gamers cite over and over again that social interaction is one of the strongest motivators to play. Its why Dave loves Atari 2600 Warlords and others here like Goldeneye or Star Fox 64 - its social gaming - but now its online social shooter games like Titanfall.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » May 2nd, 2016, 1:19 am

I think it's not that it's a FPS, but rather that the genre hasn't seen a lot of innovation in recent years (outside Portal and Splatoon). Granted, the best ones (Black Ops and Halo Reach) are a blast to play, but we're all pretty much sick of the COD series going the Madden route with the annual releases and new coat of paint on the old car.

If there were more innovative releases and less sequels, their reputation among classic/arcade minded gamers would probably improve. Sadly, almost everything that's massively popular demands corporate interest, and that's really what controls much of the industry.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 2nd, 2016, 6:54 am

I sometimes wonder if this genre is "maxed out" in terms of new ideas and innovations. I don't play modern games, but from my perspective, the Halos and CODs, are kind of looking like they suffer from Madden-ism.

I enjoy FPSs, but playing locally with separate TVs is my favorite way. My brother and I are both too busy to play locally, and I was just thinking that I may pick up a 360 so we can play Halo together online. I'm not really interested in playing with all the goofballs online.

Technical question: he has a Xbox One. Could we play, say master chief collection, together online, even though we'd have different consoles??

Return to “Video Games General”