I wish there were more ____ games

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

I wish there were more ____ games

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 6th, 2016, 7:44 pm

What type/genre of game do you think the industry could use more of? For me, it's action JRPGs. I love RPGs storylines, especially JRPGs, but so many of them either use turn based combat, or some other tactical fighting style. I don't hate that, per se, but I vastly prefer action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts or Nier. I definitely think the industry needs more of those- and with Final Fantasy XV and the Final Fantasy VII Remake(s) coming, I might just get my wish!

velcrozombie

Re: I wish there were more ____ games

Postby velcrozombie » May 6th, 2016, 9:12 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:What type/genre of game do you think the industry could use more of? For me, it's action JRPGs. I love RPGs storylines, especially JRPGs, but so many of them either use turn based combat, or some other tactical fighting style. I don't hate that, per se, but I vastly prefer action RPGs like Kingdom Hearts or Nier. I definitely think the industry needs more of those- and with Final Fantasy XV and the Final Fantasy VII Remake(s) coming, I might just get my wish!

Did you know that there's a new Nier game coming out with the combat being designed by Platinum Games? I'm definitely going to have to play the original now!

I just want another Paper Mario game in the style of the first two games, or at least a game inspired by that style. I've just put about three hours into Super Paper Mario and I don't know how much longer I can keep playing - and Sticker Star is supposedly worse.

shootingstar

Postby shootingstar » May 7th, 2016, 12:13 am

I wish there were more collect-a-thon 3D platformers, I love those games, but they seem to have completely vanished as of late.

I also wish there were more point and click games like those that appeared on the DS (Hotel Dusk, 9 hrs, 9 persons, 9 doors). They not only had awesome storylines but the puzzles could be solved by the average person, a major improvement over older games that had near impossible puzzles.

scotland

Postby scotland » May 7th, 2016, 6:56 am

Light gun games.

The fall of CRT tech has meant the fall of light gun games in consoles. Had the Kinect 2 been successful, maybe advance motion control would have gotten precise enough to work. With FPSers being so popular, had CRTs remained the main tv tech, I think light gun games would have found a niche. Even many generation 1 pong consoles, like Coleco's Telstar Marksman, had a light gun game The arcades and home consoles were never dominated by toy gun games, but I always enjoyed things like Area 51.

Now it seems like toy gun fun is relegated to arcade machines for shooting animals in bars.

Toy gun amusements have a long history. Sega made electromechanical games like Rifleman

rifleman_flyer2(1).jpg
rifleman_flyer2(1).jpg (214.49 KiB) Viewed 1894 times

and pre-video game Nintendo had adventures with light gun shooting galleries in the 1970s.
http://www.kotaku.com/the-gun-game-that-nearly-broke-nintendo-5794640
a story that ends with a home version leading to the famous Duck Hunt game.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 7th, 2016, 11:25 am

First-person shooting soldier games!

Sike.

I miss the old Final Fight-style side-scrolling brawlers. LIke most 2D genres, these have been dormant forever.

Also there are very few 2D shooter, even if you include the "bullet hell" variety.

But most of all, pick-up-and-play arcade games. I'm sick of console games that expect you to dedicate a significant chunk of your life to it. There's room for the Fallout 4 games, but I want some instant gratification.

Great topic, by the way.

jon

Postby jon » May 7th, 2016, 1:56 pm

I agree with the VGC wholeheartedly. I miss 2d. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse talking about it again because I've gone on and on about it in the past. There was so much more that could be done with all the advancements in technology people have no clue. But again, I've beaten it to death I don't even feel like talking about it anymore.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 7th, 2016, 2:22 pm

I agree with Velcrozombie. A new TTYD style Paper Mario would be amazeballs. Super was a n exceptional title, but a classic PM would be a dream come true. When I first heard of Color Splash, I don't think I ever went from being so excited to being disappointed so fast. Ever.

As for genre revivals, there's nothing I'd love more than a 3D platformer Renaissance like the 2D platformer Renaissance that started in the mid-late '00s. The 5th and 6th Generations were treasure troves for 3D platforming fans. Everything from Super Mario 64 to Banjo-Kazooie to Spyro to Crash Bandicoot to Sonic Adventure to Ratchet And Clank to Sly Cooper to Wario World to Donkey Kong 64 to Mario Sunshine, and everything in between. Hell, even licensed platformers like SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom were awesome. It was a damn golden age for people like me, and now it's pretty much a dead genre.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 7th, 2016, 6:09 pm

Velcrozombie, yeah! I'm hoping it stays an rpg, though, and they don't remake it it into a Bayonetta-style action game with a Nier paint job.

Loganruckman, have you looked into Yookah Laylie?

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 7th, 2016, 8:41 pm

NFL and MLB games. I HATE this exclusive crap!

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 7th, 2016, 10:47 pm

Herschie, out of curiosity, what do you think other developers would do that the two big franchises aren't? I'm not a sports fan, so maybe I'm missing something, but sports games don't really seem like a genre that needs a ton of different franchises.

Return to “Video Games General”