Do you prefer playing newer or older games?

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Do you prefer playing newer or older games?

Postby CharlieR » June 11th, 2016, 9:24 am

With older games, you have an pick-up-and-play factor that can't be matched. I think that really makes things easier from a gameplay perspective. With Newer games, there's a cinematic factor, but you have the risk of having games provide you with certain parts that are story driven, and don't offer much gameplay at all.

As much as I love the uncharted series, there are some parts that don't feature a lot of action, as you have to get through plot points and story. When I read where the critic say there was barely any gameplay in the first two chapters of Uncharted 4, I wasn't really surprised. It is a little unfortunate, especially with a game series with action as compelling as uncharted, that you have to sit through parts the average gamer probably doesn't care about.

I'm sure most gamers here grew up with games that had little story, and we were fine with it...

I'm sort of in the middle. I don't mind story, as long as in doesn't get in the way of gameplay. Going back to uncharted, there are times when I just want to relax and sit down and shoot some enemies, but I pick up where I left off, only to be at a part in the game with little action.

Also, I haven't played a new game in a while. The last game I really played a ton of, and completed a majority of (except the very last level) was Super Mario 3d World.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Do you prefer playing newer or older games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 11th, 2016, 10:43 am

This is a good topic. I have friends over on a pretty regular basis to help me review games and they tend to be MUCH more receptive to playing the older systems. Some have even grown to loathe the new ones.

It's as though the old systems were designed to be played by a group of people in the same room: quick start-up, easy controls, short games.

The new systems are apparently designed for the player who's holed up in some nuclear bunker with no access to the outside world except for their Internet connection.

If I want my friends are going to help me review a new game, I first need to make sure I do all the necessary installs/updates the night before. And even if the game has support multi-player, you have to mess around with creating/selecting profiles which shouldn't be a headache but it usually is. The concept of profile was another atrocity spawned by the online world.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 11th, 2016, 4:20 pm

A bit of both actually.

I own 12 consoles but prob about 80% of my gaming is on the Genesis and 360. Another 10% on the Dreamcast and 2600. The other eight consoles get the remaining 10%.

So needless to say I like both. I have not yet upgraded to 8th gen yet so that plays into the picture. From everything I have read the current gen sounds intimidating with all the download and update garbage going on. But I really want to play a great WWI game. I'll wait for Battlefield 1 to be released and read the reviews. If it's as good as the trailer looks I'll upgrade before the end of the year. But trailers can be misleading. The downloads on the 360 are very minimal. The Ps4 and XBox One sound like nightmares though.

But back to the point I am about 50/50 on this.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 12th, 2016, 4:50 pm

matmico399 wrote: The downloads on the 360 are very minimal. The Ps4 and XBox One sound like nightmares though.

There's virtually no difference between the functionality of 360/PS3 and PS4/Xbox One if you have a good internet connection. PS3 is actually the worst of the bunch because it has very slow download servers.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 12th, 2016, 5:51 pm

I'm somewhere in the middle if I want to get engrossed in something I prefer modern games, especially with their save features. But for a quick pick up and play or if I fancy a simplistic blast definitely retro.

I don't find the installation side too much of a chore. I only buy 3-4 modern games a year and once they are updated and installed it's absolutely fine. I can imagine if you are jumping between games or putting games down for a while then yeah it will probably get annoying.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » June 13th, 2016, 4:58 pm

I own PS4, Xbone and WiiU. I literally only play them when my 15 year old godson comes over to visit. My brother called me last week to play a game with him online for the PS4. I hooked up my PS4 and quickly realized I didn't have a controller for it. I then remembered my godson asked to borrow it 2 months ago! That's right I didn't even notice it was missing for 2 months.

I own most retro consoles only missing a couple of very obscure systems. I find myself every week though playing the same console. It's the Retron 5! That's right I prefer it to the original hardware for it's amazing picture clarity and the ability to save my progress anywhere I want. This means no writing down passwords or having to start from scratch every gaming session. Because of this I have been able to beat games I never have in the past. I have probably beat 20 retro games in the past 6 months. With my gaming skills and limited time to game this would never have happened on original hardware.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » June 13th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Ah the Retron by Hyperkin is a beautiful system and I agree. I have a Retron 3 (because I don't play portables) and it is a great console! :D

Rev

Postby Rev » June 13th, 2016, 11:43 pm

I pretty much play 95% older games and only occasionally pull out my newer consoles to game on. I like being able to simply plug in my games and play and nowadays you have to wait for downloads and all that jazz... Still, both newer and older games have their own appeals so it really depends on what I feel like playing that day.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 14th, 2016, 9:20 am

ptdebate wrote:
matmico399 wrote: The downloads on the 360 are very minimal. The Ps4 and XBox One sound like nightmares though.

There's virtually no difference between the functionality of 360/PS3 and PS4/Xbox One if you have a good internet connection. PS3 is actually the worst of the bunch because it has very slow download servers.

I disagree. Game updates were the exception, not the norm last generation. Now, if I'm playing a game for the first time in a month then I'm pretty much sure to have to wait for an update to install.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 14th, 2016, 9:32 am

Ever since the 3rd generation we have had saving and "story over gameplay" and long immersive games. Those games may have been mostly on the 8 bit computers, but they were there. You could sink 75 hours into Accolades's Psi 5 trading company for instance, which is not a pick up and play game at all. So there are always exceptions.

Modern gaming is also not always complicated. with games like the Lego games that are very old school in most ways, and Jon just found an 1990s style 2d shooter. Hopefully, no matter your tastes, there is something for you in the modern marketplace.

I prefer reto gaming, and modern gaming is changing in ways that are not geared to me anymore. However, as Wallyworld points out, we also see advacements in how we play our old games. From Retrons to flashcarts to emulators to GOG to scans of old magazines and so on, retro gaming is large enough so that we should be able to keep playing our old favorites until we hit our game over screen.

Return to “Video Games General”