I think that I figured out what the main "innovation" of the NX will be!

General and high profile video game topics.
BanjoPickles

I think that I figured out what the main "innovation" of the NX will be!

Postby BanjoPickles » July 10th, 2016, 4:14 pm

And I sincerely hope that I'm wrong.

Why would Nintendo jump into the mobile space, which is basically them competing with themselves, unless they were testing the waters for something bigger? The successful launch of Pokemon Go, which I haven't played, made me think about that bigger picture; the rumblings that the system may be a console/handheld hybrid. I doubt that Nintendo would simply release a hybrid just so you could take your console games on the run with you; that isn't their style, but I do think that there is truth to the two-in-one. I honestly believe that Pokemon Go is nothing more than a test to see how commercially viable the concept of playing a game in the living world could be. It made me think of the idea of taking your handheld with you, bringing the information back to you, and incorporating what was found into the gaming world (the console itself). They want those Wii sales figures, and I think that they figured out that in order to achieve those numbers, they need something that the competition isn't doing, something like Pokemon Go.

What do you guys think?

bluenote

Re: I think that I figured out what the main "innovation" of the NX will be!

Postby bluenote » July 11th, 2016, 3:59 pm

You may be onto something! Interesting. The only thing, would be how many types of games can you do this with? Pokemon is pretty unique in this regard.

Interesting theory though! Let's wait and see

Paul Campbell

Re: I think that I figured out what the main "innovation" of the NX will be!

Postby Paul Campbell » July 13th, 2016, 12:56 am

I was wondering something similar to this, and my big hangup was wondering what Nintendo could possibly do with that idea that couldn't be mostly imitated with just a phone and an app? i feel like, if they are going to make anything portable, it can't be just a tablet of some kind because that will not be enough of a departure from what people are already used to, and they will be left wondering when a similar app will be released so they don't need to buy new hardware that only does what their phone or tablet already does...

Return to “Video Games General”