Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Re: Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Postby CharlieR » November 14th, 2016, 9:08 am

I guess it was just a bigger thing because of the design, which could be a factor. People see how the NES classic looks like a miniature NES, while the ATgames console doesn't look anything like a genesis, and kinda looked cheaply made, though it did have a cartridge slot. Maybe that made some people wonder if it could live up to the awesomeness of the Genesis. I'm sure there were no doubts about the NES classic. Maybe that's why it just seems like there is more excitement surrounding the NES classic.

but yes, I have not seen a lot of advertisements or pop-ups for the NES classic, mainly just youtube vids and articles, so it's more the community making this a big deal.

Tron

Postby Tron » November 14th, 2016, 10:47 pm

I'm surprised about the demand for this thing.

Cons:
1. Only 30 games
2. No port to put physical games in.
3. No internet to download more games.
4. Only 1 controller

Pros:
1. The 30 games are pretty awesome.
2. HDMI connect.
3. No messing with finicky cartridges.
4. $60 is a good price

LS650

Postby LS650 » November 15th, 2016, 1:00 am

I'm not surprised by the demand. You could see this coming for months now.

Lots of video games and consoles are hyped this way: deliberately create viral interest on the internet, release just a few copies, act all 'surprised' that you couldn't meet demand, and sit back while the hype train pulls out of the station. Don't worry, in two or three weeks they'll have plenty more of these just in time for Christmas shoppers.

I plan to buy one, but I'm not going to pay more than MSRP. These scalpers on eBay and Amazon ought to have their nuts snipped.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » January 8th, 2017, 12:14 pm

The NES Classic is now hackable via a softmod so that more games (ROM files) can be added:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... -Add-Games

LS650

Postby LS650 » January 8th, 2017, 1:37 pm

LS650 wrote:Don't worry, in two or three weeks they'll have plenty more of these just in time for Christmas shoppers.

Well, I screwed up that prediction! I honestly thought Nintendo would make them available by the second week of December, and then haul all the profits to the bank. Here it is the second week of January, and still no one can find them in stores.

It seems crazy to me: it's a perfect way for Nintendo to make a few quick bucks in profit, and hype their brand name before the release of the Switch - yet somehow they just aren't interested.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 8th, 2017, 5:30 pm

Yeah, this seems like a major SNAFU. They are sure burning up both investor and consumer confidence. The Switch better knock it out of the park and be readily available to all that want it or things are going to go south super quick.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » January 9th, 2017, 8:48 am

LS650 wrote:
LS650 wrote:Don't worry, in two or three weeks they'll have plenty more of these just in time for Christmas shoppers.

Well, I screwed up that prediction! I honestly thought Nintendo would make them available by the second week of December, and then haul all the profits to the bank. Here it is the second week of January, and still no one can find them in stores.

I wouldn't feel too bad about this prediction. I went back and looked at Nintendo of America's twitter, and on release day, they did tweet that a steady flow of systems throughout the holiday and into the new year. I overheard a customer at target a few weeks ago ask if they got any in, and the cashier said they did get a few in that morning, but they sold out quick. Maybe by "a steady flow," they mean a few at a time, once a week.

My cousin said something interesting when he was visiting a few weeks ago, that I think I agree with. He said it was a distribution issue and not about production. He said there were lots of systems in Portugal and Spain. I tend to agree with that because my biggest concern was always "how could they not make enough?" Maybe they did, they are just in another country. If that is the case, they should have shipped them over here.

I agree, it is completely dumb not to have them readily available at this point. If the same thing happens with the switch, there will be a lot of angry customers.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 9th, 2017, 9:44 am

CharlieR wrote: If the same thing happens with the Switch, there will be a lot of angry customers.

My first thought was 'a lot of lost customers'. I think that might be true for the NES mini, the holiday shopping window has come and gone. This was primarily a nostalgia gift for the most part. Had it been there in Target or Amazon in late November or December, people would have bought them. Even if they are available in the coming months, I think a lot of the demand has melted away, at least for half a year.

For the Switch, this might very well happen again. After all, it feeds into the buzz, we watch videos of people who have them, talk about them here, etc. It also allows Nintendo to have a higher price, because price is a function of supply as well. There is something about scarcity makes things seem better. It gets Nintendo loads of free pubicity, and reduces the risk of over production, and could even let them later on reduce the price or make a bundle that everyone then sees as a good deal. Maybe it lets them get a few system update issues worked out. It might also give them time to bolster the initial launch library for when more people are seriously considering it.

So, having the Switch come out this Spring but not really be available for casual purchase until late summer or later might be how it goes. Maybe there is a 'tax refund' bump in gaming purchases they might miss out on, but wouldn't the big sales not be until late in 2017 anyway?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 10th, 2017, 8:24 am

CharlieR wrote:
My cousin said something interesting when he was visiting a few weeks ago, that I think I agree with. He said it was a distribution issue and not about production. He said there were lots of systems in Portugal and Spain. I tend to agree with that because my biggest concern was always "how could they not make enough?" Maybe they did, they are just in another country. If that is the case, they should have shipped them over here.

I will whole heatedly disagree with this in that there is no way a company like Nintendo could be incompetent enough to not know that the North American market would be a hit with the North American version of their console. No way could there be a distribution problem. Hell, I can go right now and send anything I want to anywhere in the world and have it get there the same day. Youre telling me they couldnt get these things distributed in the U.S. in time for Christmas? They didnt have the foresight to know that these would be wildly popular over the holiday season?

They simply screwed the pooch on this one. There is no reason this console couldnt be stocked deep on the shelves for Christmas other than Nintendo created the shortage. This is what they do, and have done in the past. Its silly if you ask me. This thing could have sold millions of units over Christmas, instead it didnt.

scotland wrote:My first thought was 'a lot of lost customers'. I think that might be true for the NES mini, the holiday shopping window has come and gone. This was primarily a nostalgia gift for the most part. Had it been there in Target or Amazon in late November or December, people would have bought them. Even if they are available in the coming months, I think a lot of the demand has melted away, at least for half a year. . .

. . .So, having the Switch come out this Spring but not really be available for casual purchase until late summer or later might be how it goes. Maybe there is a 'tax refund' bump in gaming purchases they might miss out on, but wouldn't the big sales not be until late in 2017 anyway?

I think the saving grace for the Switch will be the mobile market. Nintendo has dominated that, and I think the Switch will continue that tradition. The console market, however, I think will be the same fate as the rest of Nintendo's consoles having a relatively small user base and another forgettable library of games.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 28th, 2017, 8:33 am

FINALLY able to order one this week, after checking near daily since launch. Comes with a wireless controller, cord extender for the included controller, and a Nintendo backpack. Interesting, the backpack arrived first, and i was surprised at how well made it is. I have no Particular use for it, but I'm sure someone will like it.

I don't game often (haven't purchased a system since the GameCube), but this will be nice to scratch the nostalgia itch every now and then.

Return to “Video Games General”