Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Miniature NES with 30 built-in games

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2016, 7:40 pm

Anybody else disappointed they didn't include a booklet with all the original manuals? Those books were half the fun. Posting them on the internet is a cop-out.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » November 10th, 2016, 8:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Anybody else disappointed they didn't include a booklet with all the original manuals? Those books were half the fun. Posting them on the internet is a cop-out.

Yeah, that's a little disappointing, but this might be the next best thing:

https://www.amazon.com/Playing-Power-Ni ... 8&qid=&sr=

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 10th, 2016, 10:11 pm

I'd of loved to have seen that, but never expected it. Would add to the expense a fair bit and they appeared to struggle just to manage this as it is at $60, as seen by the pitifully short 2.5' controller cord.

What does disappoint me is that you have to go to your computer or smartphone to view the scans instead of having them permanently stored right on the system itself for convenient viewing. How much space do 30 pdf NES manual scans and a few associated items like the Star Tropics code page and the Zelda map take (And for good measure, the full NES Classic manual and the original NES system manual)?

I can't imagine the savings they realized was much.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 10th, 2016, 10:12 pm

I like the idea of having 30 manuals included with it in physical form but honestly I don't see how they could have packaged that with the minature NES without it being quite a bit pricier.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2016, 12:55 am

Just stumbled across this timely article.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/11/n ... s-manuals/

scotland

Postby scotland » November 11th, 2016, 8:23 am

Great article.

I admit to being one of those gamers who have spent many hours just reading and re-reading the manuals. This goes back to my Odyssey 2, where the artwork was fantastic (or in Odyssey 2 speak, it was "Fantastic!"). Even if it was just several pages from the journal of Captain Obvious, it was still fun.

Manuals add so much to games, that near realistic graphics and tutorials still cannot add. Look at the Kid Icarus manual, with its backstory and "Monster Manual" entries, the cute images of Pit, etc. Wow. Makes me want to go play the game *right now*. (And given the still unable to pre-order NES Classic, I can do in a variety of other ways fortunately. This new mini classic sounds fun, but at some point I remember I can play it on original hardware on a CRT)

The manuals from Nintendo have two versions - electronic and printed. I had not realized they were so different. The printed is the original, and they are very clear. If you read the article, where the author discusses his fond memory of the Kid Icarus manual, the image in question is on page 38. So don't let Pit be caught with his eyes off the danger.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 11th, 2016, 9:37 am

All right, I work at the Walmart corporate office's call center, taking customer service calls. Can I just say, I freaking hate Nintendo today. I kid you not, every single call I've taken today has been some variation of "I want a Nintendo Classic! Where's my Nintendo Classic? How dare you be sold out of this hot, new, rare item?" It's ridiculous.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 11th, 2016, 10:23 am

Amazon email says this item will be on sale at 2pm EST.

While it might sell out quickly, more will come along by the holidays, I'm sure. Also, if I don't buy one, I can put that $60 in a kitty jar toward my interest in the Switch.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » November 11th, 2016, 11:35 am

Got one at Wal-Mart early this morning. Pleasant experience all around with the staff and 5 other customers that all were big NES fans.

My first console launch, if this counts. :)

Voor

Postby Voor » November 11th, 2016, 2:35 pm

Waited 2 hours, customer #7 of about 40. They got 5 in. Worse, I had gone to target before, where they had 2 come in. Pitiful.

Return to “Video Games General”