Main Page Style Changes

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Main Page Style Changes

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2016, 7:41 pm

I have been doing some experimentation with the main page and I'd like to get some feedback.

I didn't like how 3-wide screenshots were being displayed across the main page (we talked about it the tweaks thread). In general I've been feeling like the main screen is too busy.

Check out what I did to the latest set of Wii U reviews! (you may need to refresh). I sliced the three screens together in the area of one large screen. It was difficult to do but I think it looks pretty nifty.

To make this look decent I have to remove the green borders around the screens. I think that helps clean things up too. I also reduced the size of the text under the pics, and spaced it out.

Thoughts??

LuckyMan

Re: Main Page Style Changes

Postby LuckyMan » August 4th, 2016, 7:39 pm

I don't know... I miss the green borders and it seems like there's too much space between the reviews now.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 4th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Looks like a few of my changes reverted with the latest set of reviews...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2016, 8:52 am

Okay the "triple-pic" for the Wii U is back.
I also reinstated the image borders, however I made them thinner.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 5th, 2016, 1:42 pm

I don't know about this one, Critic... I usually like your changes, or at least can live with them, but I can't get on board with this one. I don't mean to be too blunt-I swear it comes from a good place-but it looks bad to me, and I don't think it can be fixed. The Wii U games look like a blob of one game, especially because the color palettes in each game are so similar...if I was not a regular visitor, I might not realize that they are screenshots for 3 different games. And yet, if the three games looked very different, I think they would contrast too much and still look weird bunched together. Also, because the screenshots are tall rather than wide, it cuts off the edges of the pictures. Sorry! I'm not opposed to change, but for the moment I can't think of a better way to do it than the way you've done it for years.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 5th, 2016, 3:36 pm

I have to agree with Luckyman critic, I kind of preferred the old page style.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 5th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Now that you mention it, have you considered changing the default 1024 x 768 like layout? Or whatever it is. I believe most users have wide screen displays now (except on phones). Perhaps, you can go "wide" and take advantage of all of that wasted black space on the left/right? Just a thought.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » August 5th, 2016, 4:23 pm

I think the new style looks good on the mobile site.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » August 5th, 2016, 4:38 pm

I agree with others, I'm not a big fan of the WiiU borders on the main page. BUT, not all changes will be successful; some changes may need tweaking, others will need to be completely scrapped. It's a part of the process. Keep up the good work!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » August 5th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:I think the new style looks good on the mobile site.

I agree. I'm viewing on mobile and I think it looks much better the new way. The main issue is I think you might need to crop the pictures differently because Kirby is missing from the Kirby game screenshot and Toad is half missing from the Captain Toad screenshot. It's a bit strange to have a game screenshot without the title character present, at least with these games. Also there still appears to be a top green border which doesn't look good without the rest of the border.

Return to “Video Games General”