Best remake of a classic game

General and high profile video game topics.
Sut

Re: Best remake of a classic game

Postby Sut » October 7th, 2016, 10:19 am

I've got Tempest 2000 for the Saturn, think it also came out on the PS1. I can't put my finger on it but they seem somewhat inferior to the Jaguar version but I can't tell you why.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » October 7th, 2016, 12:02 pm

One of the recent GDQs had a "Tetris Masters" arcade exhibition that made me think possibly the game could not be refined any further.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » October 7th, 2016, 1:19 pm

A downloadable PS Vita game called TxK was made by the creator of Tempest 2000, Dave Minter, and bears such a close resemblance to that game that Atari (or the current holders of the Atari trademark) threatened legal action against him. The game is still available for Vita, but he legally cannot release it on any other platform, which is a bummer.

At any rate, TxK is a pretty great game even though you can only play it on Vita.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 7th, 2016, 4:49 pm

The Wii A Boy and His Blob is a good one. It turns a game that was clunky, ugly, and full of empty space, very dated even in 1989, into the exact opposite. That said, as beautiful and lively as it is, it loses something by being broken into levels - one of the original's better points was the mystery and exploration of wandering all over its sprawling world (even if there really wasn't a whole lot to discover), and the remake feels small, safe, and a little less interesting for changing that. But it's still a good game that easily bests the original.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » October 9th, 2016, 11:57 am

Stalvern wrote:The Wii A Boy and His Blob is a good one

I've always thought the original had a great premise that it never quite fully lived up to. One of those games that was definitely worthy of a remake, which I haven't played.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » October 10th, 2016, 11:00 pm

Metroid: Zero Mission blows the original out of the water, and it was a great game to begin with.

Return to “Video Games General”