Games That Need Sequels/Reboots/Remakes Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

General and high profile video game topics.
eneuman96

Re: Games That Need Sequels/Reboots/Remakes Thread 2: Electric Boogaloo

Postby eneuman96 » October 14th, 2016, 12:48 am

There hasn't been a new Metal Slug game in a long time (unless you count Metal Slug Defense, which is just your bog-standard F2P mobile game with a Metal Slug coat of paint). SNK can't just re-release the current games forever, even if all of them are terrific.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 14th, 2016, 2:12 am

Uhm, how about BODY HARVEST? Could you imagine the possibilities when the game isn't forced onto a tiny N64 cartridge? More small areas to explore, more weapons, more epic boss battles, while still maintaining the adventure formula. THAT would sell me!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 14th, 2016, 2:47 am

I would buy a 3D, open-world H.E.R.O. that let me fly all over a giant cave system with a heli-pack and a laser gun.

Also, with Star Fox run as badly into the ground as it's been, it's about time we had a Space Harrier comeback. Imagine what that would be like on the Oculus!

scotland

Postby scotland » October 14th, 2016, 6:26 am

Stalvern wrote:I would buy a 3D, open-world H.E.R.O. that let me fly all over a giant cave system with a heli-pack and a laser gun.

H.E.R.O. ! What an awesome idea!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 14th, 2016, 9:04 am

I'd take a real sequel to ActRaiser with the sim portions added back in any day.

An update to Rogue Squadron would be pretty swell as well.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » October 15th, 2016, 10:07 pm

I have one that I don't imagine anyone else would say: Mickey Mania.

They remade Castle of Illusion and did a great job, but Castle of Illusion was already a great game. I would love to see someone remake a bad/mediocre game and make it great, like a patch 20 years later. And I think Mickey Mania is a great candidate for that.

It's already a really well animated game, and a remake could either polish it up for HD or completely reanimate it so it looked just like the old cartoons, now that the technology is there for that. More importantly though, the remake could fix the issues that made Mickey Mania a D or C instead of an A. They could clean up the loose controls (this is one of the few Genesis games I know where if you hold the jump button you'll keep jumping, and it leads to lots of accidental jumps), add more checkpoints and consistently space them--sometimes you die and only have to replay a short area, and other times it seems like it knocks you back 5 stages--add a difficulty setting, and redo some of the weaker levels (the castle climbing stages are repetitive and the pseudo-3d graphics in them, while impressive to me as a kid, don't do the gameplay any favors).

I'm tired of re-releases of games that didn't need fixing. I'd like to see someone make a gamble on a game that had all the right pieces, but couldn't quite put them together. I know that this would never happen, because why would someone remake a fringe game instead of a beloved one, but I can still dream. ( Although the Sonic CD remake did bump that score from C to A for me.)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 16th, 2016, 12:09 pm

I'd love to see a sequel to House of the Dead, but with light guns (and even basic pointing controls) on the outs, I don't think it's going to happen. These are the kind of arcade games today's systems lack.

I haven't even played House of the Dead 4. It's only available online on the PS3, so I doubt I'll go through the trouble. Will the account I have on my PS4 work with my PS3?

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 16th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Bully. It could be like Bully: The College Years

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » October 16th, 2016, 4:16 pm

How about a 2D Ninja Gaiden sequel? Does every NG game need to be 3D now?

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 17th, 2016, 12:10 pm

There is some long dormant stuff that I'd love to see get a proper remake or sequel. I feel like during the 360/PS3 era they actually tried to bring back quite a few forgotten franchises, but failed because they missed what made the originals so good in the first place (thinking specifically about Bionic Commando, Syndicate, and Splatterhouse).

Anywho here are a few I'd like to see make a return:

Splatterhouse - Yeah, I still want them to figure out how to make this work in the modern era. And no it doesn't include collecting naked pictures of your girlfriend.

Mutant League Football - I know the original creators tried/failed to launch a spirtual successor to this with Kickstarter. I'd love for EA to come out of nowhere and re-launch MLF. EA in general has TONS of fertile IPs that are ripe for a comeback. They could garner plenty of trust and goodwill with gamers if they managed to re-launch one or two of them in the vein of the originals...

Shinobi - I'd love for SEGA to bring back this franchise in some capacity. It's too iconic and great to leave collecting cobwebs in their attic.

Streets of Rage - I'm imagining a Streets of Rage game from, say, Platinum Games. I'm pretty sure that would be incredible.

Battletoads - I'd absolutely love for a God of War/DMC type of Battletoads game to come out. Leveling up the toads to get new moves, crazy level design, speeder bikes and more! It would be great.

Castlevania - It has been far too long since we've gotten anything great from this franchise. Given the fact that Koji Igarashi is gone and Konami is more interested in mobile games/slot machines it seems like we might not get a proper Castlevania game anytime soon.

Return to “Video Games General”