Introducing the Nintendo Switch

General and high profile video game topics.
Herschie

Re: Introducing the Nintendo Switch

Postby Herschie » January 21st, 2017, 11:46 am

scotland

Postby scotland » January 21st, 2017, 2:51 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:Another thought related to pricing... how does the Switch compare, spec-wise, to high-end phones with similar screen sizes? I mean, a Samsung Galaxy is close to a grand. How does the Switch compare, and does that comparison help the price make a little more sense, considering you are also getting controllers, etc.?

$270 will get you an Apple quality made ipad with an even larger screen. Add in an extra charger and case, and that's about the entire system you'll need for several years. Apple is a quality product, with a huge library of games on the app store. You can build a sizeable library very cheaply. I know a lot of games are derided as cheap, but there are lots of really great games out there too, for all ages and interests. Getting an ipad or android tablet is a very popular option parents are pursuing nowadays, and this can seen in the dropoff of the numbers of Nintendo portable units sold.

Life to date, the DS line (all of them) sold about 60 million units in the United States, of which 45 million were sold in its first 5 years. Life to date, the 3DS line (all of them) have sold about about 21 million. The GBA family (including the SP) sold about 41 million units in the US over its life. By the way, they've only sold about 7 million WiiU's in the US during its life. Compare that to a mobile app like Pokemon Go that was downloaded 500 million times, so it shows the orders of magnitude difference and why an app like Super Mario Run (which you can play on an iPad) is so important to Nintendo.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 22nd, 2017, 6:48 am

The problem comparing the Switch to the Apple and Android ecosystems is that they're a lot like the Atari 2600 and British 8-bit microcomputer ecosystems - you have a low barrier of entry for content providers, so there's a lot of depressing toxic sludge to wade through.

And I say that as a fan of those libraries.

But it's even worse for the average consumer, because in the past, physical media acted as a filter. Now? You'd better be going in with a review guide - there's no way to play it all in a single lifetime, and a lot of what's out there considers "fun" something that'll prevent you from giving them more money to rent core gameplay features.

Entire industries have collapsed for committing lesser sins.

But even if every game was a 10 out of 10, the infamous one button controllers of the 80's are nothing compared to the modern imaginary controllers. Choosing between "Let's cover a modern game up with our confused imaginary button mashing!" or playing an on rails version of Pitfall? It'd all be a cruel joke if it wasn't the single best way to passively explore the internet.

Compared to that swamp, the Nintendo Switch is a time saving, stress free bargain. Price isn't the only value worth measuring.

With all of that said, who actually asked for this thing, aside from me and a few other folks who only game on portables? How many times have we proven we're not a large enough market to support AAA development? It's great to be spoiled again, but Nintendo's betting a lot of money that they can overcome the same kind of negative word of mouth that doomed the Vita. Is it an underpowered home console? Or is it an oversized hand held with a small library of games you'll need to pack separately?

Nintendo: It's both! We bred the Wii-U with an Atari Lynx, to create the ultimate sadomasochistic experience!

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » January 22nd, 2017, 8:16 am

scotland wrote:
$270 will get you an Apple quality made ipad with an even larger screen.... Apple is a quality product...

Sorry, pet peeve warning. No. No they are not. Apple makes garbage trash, and I feel like the last sane person left in some crazy Twilight Zone episode about a technology cult. I'm the tech support in my family (blood relatives and in-laws). Their Apple products never work. They constantly lose connections to the internet, the screens spiderweb into fragments if they are sneezed on the wrong way, and anyone with ne older than a year is constantly fighting some annoying glitch or other. Apple makes pretty, pretty junk. It looks nice, and fools you into thinking it is "good" because you throw it in the trash and buy a new one 365 days later.

Their products are not "quality." They are pretty. They are nice to look at. But they are utter trash garbage. I just don't get it.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 23rd, 2017, 8:39 pm

Atarifever wrote:Sorry, pet peeve warning. No. No they are not. Apple makes garbage trash, and I feel like the last sane person left in some crazy Twilight Zone episode about a technology cult. I'm the tech support in my family (blood relatives and in-laws). Their Apple products never work. They constantly lose connections to the internet, the screens spiderweb into fragments if they are sneezed on the wrong way, and anyone with ne older than a year is constantly fighting some annoying glitch or other. Apple makes pretty, pretty junk. It looks nice, and fools you into thinking it is "good" because you throw it in the trash and buy a new one 365 days later.

Their products are not "quality." They are pretty. They are nice to look at. But they are utter trash garbage. I just don't get it.

Don't want to derail, but I have to say that my own experience is very different. I currently own the following Macs and have never had any issues with them:

2005 Powerbook G4 (hasn't been used in a while but still works well)
2008 Mac Pro (this one is turned on 24/7)
2015 MacBook (my daily laptop)

I also have a 2010 iPad that still holds a charge for days.

I like Macs for their solid build quality (they're molded from a single chunk of aluminum) and long-term reliability (a 12 year old laptop that still runs as well as it did day one). The software is also much better designed than Windows. I look at it like this--OS X is designed for the end user. Windows is designed for hobbyists and engineers (but is vastly vused by people who don't know any better). Both have a place in my life, but if I can accomplish a task with OS X, I'll choose it over Windows every time.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 23rd, 2017, 9:15 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:But even if every game was a 10 out of 10, the infamous one button controllers of the 80's are nothing compared to the modern imaginary controllers. Choosing between "Let's cover a modern game up with our confused imaginary button mashing!" or playing an on rails version of Pitfall? It'd all be a cruel joke if it wasn't the single best way to passively explore the internet.

Compared to that swamp, the Nintendo Switch is a time saving, stress free bargain. Price isn't the only value worth measuring.

With all of that said, who actually asked for this thing, aside from me and a few other folks who only game on portables? How many times have we proven we're not a large enough market to support AAA development? It's great to be spoiled again, but Nintendo's betting a lot of money that they can overcome the same kind of negative word of mouth that doomed the Vita. Is it an underpowered home console? Or is it an oversized hand held with a small library of games you'll need to pack separately?

Nintendo: It's both! We bred the Wii-U with an Atari Lynx, to create the ultimate sadomasochistic experience!

Your line up above is brilliant and the one below made me LOL. Kudo, good sir, kudos.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 24th, 2017, 6:23 am

ptdebate wrote:
Atarifever wrote:Sorry, pet peeve warning. No. No they are not. Apple makes garbage trash, and I feel like the last sane person left in some crazy Twilight Zone episode about a technology cult. I'm the tech support in my family (blood relatives and in-laws). Their Apple products never work. They constantly lose connections to the internet, the screens spiderweb into fragments if they are sneezed on the wrong way, and anyone with ne older than a year is constantly fighting some annoying glitch or other. Apple makes pretty, pretty junk. It looks nice, and fools you into thinking it is "good" because you throw it in the trash and buy a new one 365 days later.

Not sure what you have experienced but my Mac products are rock solid. 2GB iPad from about 6 years ago...still works and no issues. 160GB iPad five years old..no issues. iPad Mini from 2013...no issues. Bought a MacBook 2 years ago...not a single problem. iPhone 6 from roughly 2 years ago...no issues. Get the idea? Meanwhile my wife has gone through two laptops (Toshiba and she constantly has problems with the operating system), Samsung tablets which seem to only have a lifespan of about a year and a half, so on and so forth. Every time my wife has an issue with one of her devices I just laugh at her. To me Mac products are like my Honda Accord...a little bit of flash but a whole lot of reliability. Kind of like me! haha! Cheers!

scotland

Postby scotland » February 16th, 2017, 7:40 am

A few weeks out and Nintendo has not released official specs....but someone has leaked a set of possible specs. Here is the IGN article (and caveat this is unconfirmed but reasonable)

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/02/15/nintendo-switch-reportedly-leaked-developer-documents-seemingly-reveal-specs-and-more

Reactions in the comments run from 'who cares - it plays fun games' to 'Seriously underpowered, especially on battery power'.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 16th, 2017, 11:23 am

scotland wrote:A few weeks out and Nintendo has not released official specs....but someone has leaked a set of possible specs. Here is the IGN article (and caveat this is unconfirmed but reasonable)

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/02/15/nintendo-switch-reportedly-leaked-developer-documents-seemingly-reveal-specs-and-more

Reactions in the comments run from 'who cares - it plays fun games' to 'Seriously underpowered, especially on battery power'.

I just dont see longevity for this thing. I cant see 3rd party devs making or porting AAA titles over to it. If something is made for PS4/Xbone, it would have to be dumbed down so much to run on the switch that it would be a mere shadow of its former self. If anything, I bet we see more of the same shovelwear crap that we saw on the Wii, or more ports of older titles like Skyrim that it will be able to run.

Sut

Postby Sut » February 16th, 2017, 1:12 pm

The only way the Switch was going to get decent third party support was to make ports from the PS4/Xbone. If that's not straight forward you can forget third party support again.

Return to “Video Games General”