Introducing the Nintendo Switch

General and high profile video game topics.
Atariboy

Re: Introducing the Nintendo Switch

Postby Atariboy » January 20th, 2017, 5:39 am

Any word on if the batteries in the Joy-Cons and the Switch itself are user-replaceable, I wonder?

ActRaiser wrote:
So the $80 for the extra controller doesn't actually include the plastic piece that lets you combine the two. That's an extra $15. WTF - $95 for an extra "controller"?

I assume that it's even more if you want the plastic spacer that can also be plugged in via USB to charge them away from the dock.

Rookie1 wrote: I also wondered about how they charge, also how long a charge lasts. I mean, they are tiny, and with all the nonsense that they do they cant hold a charge for that long. The battery has to be tiny in them.

Charging time is 3 hours and battery life is approximately 20 hours.

David

Postby David » January 20th, 2017, 7:46 am

The batteries are not user replaceable as far as I understand. And the grip for the joy cons that charges costs $30.

Despite all the negativity, is anyone here still pre-ordering? I still am for a few reasons. For one, this might be the last piece of Nintendo hardware that ever gets released (kidding...sort of). Two, I sold my Wii U a couple months back because I had played everything I was going to, and now I need the Switch to play Zelda. I regret that a little bit, but I don't like having extra clutter around the house. Between the PS4, Xbox One, 3DS, and Vita, I have plenty of stuff that I don't have time play anyways. Three, I still like the concept of the hybrid idea, even if I think it will ultimately hurt them. I've always liked handhelds because of their self-enclosed design, and this looks to be one of the nicer pieces of hardware in terms of design Nintendo has ever put out. And four, since this supposedly is going to be a margin of their home and handheld console development teams, this means we should be getting more software for it, and be able to play traditionally portable titles on the big screen like Pokemon...unless (until?) they make that an iOS exclusive.

Plus, I'm pretty excited for a new Bomberman game, since I was pretty convinced that the series was dead after Hudson Soft was bought out.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 20th, 2017, 8:48 am

David wrote:Despite all the negativity, is anyone here still pre-ordering?

Plus, I'm pretty excited for a new Bomberman game, since I was pretty convinced that the series was dead after Hudson Soft was bought out.

I'm not but that's because I don't have a lot as much time anymore. If I were single and had no kids I'm sure I would. The one game that does look good to me is the new Bomberman as it will support up to 8 players. What I couldn't quite figure out is if that's 8 local players or 8 online. If it's 8 local that's awesome. I'm starting to put together everything required to do a 10 player Sega Saturn Bomberman attempt.

scotland

Postby scotland » January 20th, 2017, 8:58 am

ActRaiser wrote: The one game that does look good to me is the new Bomberman as it will support up to 8 players. What I couldn't quite figure out is if that's 8 local players or 8 online. If it's 8 local that's awesome.

The cheapest option for extra controllers is $80 for a set of 2 tiny joy-cons, making local multiplayer less appealing.

Is the Switch overpriced? The WiiU 32 GB model launched a $350, so this is $50 cheaper, and only $50 more than the Wii launched at. So, if one only looks at Nintendo products, then its about what might be expected.

Yet looking at articles, they are a united chorus screaming that the Switch is too expensive. Even self titled Nintendo diehards say the unit and its accessories are just far too expensive.

The price of the base 32 GB unit, a game like the new Zelda, and an extra standard controller, and maybe an SD card, and its in the $450 neighborhood. You can buy a whole lot of entertainment for $450. Just today, there is a PS4 Slim 500GB Uncharted 4 bundle (on Blu Ray, not digital download) for $270, a new controller is $50 so that's $320 for a PS4 package with a top shelf game and an extra controller. Families might look at it is that the Switch has a 6.2" screen, but you can get a 32GB Apple ipad mini 2 with a 7.9" screen for $270 dollars. Add in some chargers and a case, and for $300 you are set except for the minor price of games and that's all you buy forever as a portable and popular game system.

Factor in the lack of 3rd party support, Nintendo's history with delayed games or gaming droughts, some high profile 1st party games disappointings, etc. Sure, Nintendo has Zelda and Mario, but it lacks other important games like Call of Duty or Final Fantasy XV or Madden. Its also important what consoles your friends have so you can play online with them. That puts the Switch - especially entering the generation midway - into the 'secondary console' territory.

David

Postby David » January 20th, 2017, 9:58 am

Yeah, it's not going to be a cheap purchase on launch day. I have the console ordered for $300, a 200GB micro SDXC card for $70, extra set of joy cons for $80, a charging grip for $30, screen protector for $8, Zelda for $60, and Bomberman for $50. Even without tax, that's $598 at launch. That's a metric s-ton of money for an underpowered piece of hardware. Writing that out makes it seem even more of a ridiculous purchase actually. Video gaming is not a cheap hobby unfortunately...

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 20th, 2017, 10:58 am

I pre-ordered Zelda for the WiiU, a console which I dont own. I will try to snag one for around $150 if I can. I am a patient person. If anything, the Switch wont be worth buying until at least summer of next year (that is if games start coming out by then). If 3rd party games dont get pumped out by next year, then people are going to jump ship on this thing.

I recently watched a Youtube video where someone was making some really good points about the storage. micro SD cards have amazingly slow data transfer rates, even when compared to the slowest of HDDs. Even the highest end micro SD cards arent much better, and they run upwards of $200 for only 250gb. In fact, a lot of new cameras and phones are having issues with micro SD cards as they are trying to write data to them faster than the SD cards can handle, and vice versa. 3rd party games are going to have super limited storage yet again, as most games require more than 32gb of storage when you factor in updates, patches, DLC, etc. Additionally, most games wont run, or will run like garbage if running them from a micro SD card and micro SD cards have an extremely high fail rate.

So, it looks like Nintendo has shot themselves in the foot once again with their storage medium unless something is done about the internal storage capacity.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 20th, 2017, 6:54 pm

You know, all this wouldn't be as hard to swallow if they had been using all this down time from developing for the Wii U to have an absolute KILLER lineup of games available at release! What gives? Could it actually be part of their plan to spread the release of games out to add steady value to the system? Remember when the 3DS came out overpriced, sales were weak, Nintendo cut the price, and now we have a solid, fleshed out portable as a result. Sometimes I get the feeling that we all ASSUME the Nintendo is in financial dire straights because the Wii U underperformed, but I remember reading about what a ridiculous amount of money they made on the original Wii because they made around $70 on each console, rather than selling at a loss like the other guys were. Is it possible that between the cash they are sitting on from past success, portables, toys and Amiibos, and everything else, that they are actually doing just fine and simply aren't feeling the kind of all-your-eggs-in-one-basket pressure that we assume they are? Something doesn't add up...

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 20th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Another thought related to pricing... how does the Switch compare, spec-wise, to high-end phones with similar screen sizes? I mean, a Samsung Galaxy is close to a grand. How does the Switch compare, and does that comparison help the price make a little more sense, considering you are also getting controllers, etc.?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 20th, 2017, 7:54 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:You know, all this wouldn't be as hard to swallow if they had been using all this down time from developing for the Wii U to have an absolute KILLER lineup of games available at release! What gives? Could it actually be part of their plan to spread the release of games out to add steady value to the system? Remember when the 3DS came out overpriced, sales were weak, Nintendo cut the price, and now we have a solid, fleshed out portable as a result. Sometimes I get the feeling that we all ASSUME the Nintendo is in financial dire straights because the Wii U underperformed, but I remember reading about what a ridiculous amount of money they made on the original Wii because they made around $70 on each console, rather than selling at a loss like the other guys were. Is it possible that between the cash they are sitting on from past success, portables, toys and Amiibos, and everything else, that they are actually doing just fine and simply aren't feeling the kind of all-your-eggs-in-one-basket pressure that we assume they are? Something doesn't add up...

There is no doubt they are deep in cash. They have made billions off the DS line and the Wii alone. However, if youre that deep in the cash flow, then why keep releasing stupid consoles over and over and over? Why not invest in something amazing instead of under-powered gimmick boxes?

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » January 20th, 2017, 9:03 pm

David wrote:Yeah, it's not going to be a cheap purchase on launch day. I have the console ordered for $300, a 200GB micro SDXC card for $70, extra set of joy cons for $80, a charging grip for $30, screen protector for $8, Zelda for $60, and Bomberman for $50. Even without tax, that's $598 at launch. That's a metric s-ton of money for an underpowered piece of hardware. Writing that out makes it seem even more of a ridiculous purchase actually. Video gaming is not a cheap hobby unfortunately...

Good lord Bomberman is $50?!?! I thought it would be a $20 downloadable title. Bomberman Ultra is only 10 bucks and can already do 7 player local multiplayer on PS3. There's a Wii version too that supports 8 players. I still think it's absurd the Switch doesn't support controllers that worked on the Wii U.

Return to “Video Games General”