Introducing the Nintendo Switch

General and high profile video game topics.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Introducing the Nintendo Switch

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 15th, 2017, 4:14 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:But will the Switch have a voice synthesizer add-on much like the Mattel Intellivoice?

I want it and a controller that will let me control games with my mind like they were gonna release for the 2600. Plus a swivelling game chair like they were gonna release for the Konix super console...

We can but dream..

LS650

Postby LS650 » January 15th, 2017, 10:55 am

Nintendo still isn't meeting demand for the NES Classic, more than two months after the release date.

I have zero faith that they'll handle the release of the Switch any better.

Sut

Postby Sut » January 15th, 2017, 3:00 pm

I think it's a nifty cool gadget but to be honest I won't be buying one (at least not yet).

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 16th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Just seem the price of the controllers for the ninny switch... 70 pounds for another set.. and 60 for a pro controller...

the system is going to sink without a trace in the UK..

it is a shame.. as it is more expensive than the xbone and the ps4.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » January 16th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Okay, I've had more time to process the online thing, and now I'm even more upset. I have been playing just a ton of Modern Warfare 3 on Wii lately (yes, again, Wii). I play it online just about every night since I got it. Anyway, while playing it last night, I realized something: it has freaking voice chat! Not only that, but over the last couple days, 've been playing around with the "allies" system, and sending friend requests to people, who are getting them. One of them even sent me a text message on there! And when I start it up, it tells me what friends are online and where they're playing! On the Wii. The Wii!

So just think about this. Activision, a third party publisher, in 2011, released a game for the Wii, released itself in 2006, and using nothing but software solutions as they didn't create the hardware, they made the Wii support friends lists, party formation, text messages, and voice chat. On Nintendo's own hardware, which was, itself, out of date in 2006! And they are still offering the servce, for free, in 2017. Nintendo, in 2017, will need you to pay to use voice chat on your phone! What is wrong with them!?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » January 17th, 2017, 7:02 pm

Atariboy wrote:Did they ever confirm if Zelda is a retail product on the Wii U? Curious about that and if there will be a mandatory installation like I believe at least one other open world Wii U game does.

Looks like it indeed will have a mandatory installation of 3 gigs.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/zelda- ... 0-6447000/

Between Fatal Frame, Virtual Console downloads, Mario Kart 8 DLC, and some odds and ends like Axiom Verge, it's going to be a tight squeeze when all is said and done to fit this within 32 gigs, but I think I'll be able to just barely accommodate this one. I just hope there aren't optional additional installation packs like Xenoblade Chronicles X offered, since that will present a bit of a conundrum if I want the best Wii U experience.

My free Wind Waker HD download from the Mario Kart 8 preorder promotion might have to go though in favor of playing the disc copy I've yet to ever crack open. Maybe I'll see how well a USB thumb drive works in that instance, despite Nintendo advising against using one for DLC (A USB hard drive for perhaps 8 more gigs of space would just be silly).

If nothing else, it should make it easy to swap DLC back and forth as needed, even if it's not good enough to play something directly off of.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 18th, 2017, 10:24 am

I'm surprised nobody is talking about screen size. That's the biggest bummer to me. Currently that isn't considered a tablet, it's considered a phone. Those controllers must be absolutely microscopic. Even an extra inch would have made all the difference in the world to me (Haha!).

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » January 18th, 2017, 11:27 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:I'm surprised nobody is talking about screen size. That's the biggest bummer to me. Currently that isn't considered a tablet, it's considered a phone. Those controllers must be absolutely microscopic. Even an extra inch would have made all the difference in the world to me (Haha!).

And to the wife...

haha

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

So the $80 for the extra controller doesn't actually include the plastic piece that lets you combine the two. That's an extra $15. WTF - $95 for an extra "controller"? That's crazy. Plus, how on earth do you charge these things without being attached to the switch in the dock?

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » January 19th, 2017, 10:01 am

ActRaiser wrote:
So the $80 for the extra controller doesn't actually include the plastic piece that lets you combine the two. That's an extra $15. WTF - $95 for an extra "controller"? That's crazy. Plus, how on earth do you charge these things without being attached to the switch in the dock?

Wow I didnt know they did not come with the plastic center piece. Thats insane. I also wondered about how they charge, also how long a charge lasts. I mean, they are tiny, and with all the nonsense that they do they cant hold a charge for that long. The battery has to be tiny in them.

zetax

Postby zetax » January 19th, 2017, 5:06 pm

A few random thoughts about this gizmo...

Will (could) Nintendo release a cheaper, screen-less version? Just the guts in a box that hooks up to a TV with a controller. You know...like a normal console. Unlike the Wii U, the screen isn't required for games (it can't be, it slides into the dock...) Sell it for 200 bucks.

Will (could) Nintendo release a portable-only version? Something that looks like a Vita, with the controls and a smaller screen all built together. You know...like a normal portable. Something to replace the 3DS. Sell it for 200 bucks.

If the screen isn't required, why even make it a touch screen? Or will there be touch-based portable-mode-only games?

This thing seems like another potential can of asymmetrical-gameplay (wasn't that what they called using the Wii U gamepad?) worms.

Things that make you go "Hmmm."

Return to “Video Games General”