Introducing the Nintendo Switch

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland

Re: Introducing the Nintendo Switch

Postby scotland » February 16th, 2017, 6:10 pm

I am going to put on my Positive Hat, and say maybe the comparison to the other two consoles should be put aside.

Compare to the 2012 PSVita? Maybe it helps if we look at the Switch as a handheld with a docking port.

It seems like similar specs (improved a bit, but it is 5 years later)...in other words, a relatively powerful handheld for $300. I believe that was the original price of the PSVita as well (and Sony had to drop that to $200 sometime later). The PSVita also had a relative low battery life, of 3-5 hours. This article says 3 hours, so as a portable, that is at the lower end of acceptable.

The 3DS is getting old, and that market is still there. Many of the Nintendo console faithful might be happy with last generation ports if they missed them on the Wii and WiiU. So, if you look at it like a handheld then you don't need anything more (except screen protection and a case) as far as hardware goes. Still, $300 is very expensive to the 3DS crowd.

Alternatively, think of it as a Nintendo branded gaming tablet, with Nintendo UI, Nintendo controllers, Nintendo 1st party games, and a docking station and detachable controllers as a bonus? Of course, you can get an Apple product for this price, and all the benefits of the Apple ecosystem.

I think this has a chance, but it should be priced far more competitively. Maybe it will be by Holiday 2017.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » March 1st, 2017, 11:08 am

Anybody excited for Friday? I won't be getting a switch, but I'm excited to see reviews and such.

I don't know why, but I wasn't all that excited to begin with. It could have to do with price or games. I know people have said that it might be underpowered as a console. I've never been concerned with that; I'm just interested in games, and there aren't any I am interested in at this point.

I think it is a wise idea to wait, as I'm interested in Mario Odyssey. By the time that comes out, there may be a bundle, and the console may even be cheaper, who knows.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 1st, 2017, 11:30 am

Review embargo is over. You can read reviews online now.

Here is one from Polygon. Lots good to say, such as 'it just works' in switching modes and the general build quality, to lots of smaller issues like so-so joy cons, no media player or Netflix and crappy kickstand, to worrisome things like all the unknowns about everything online.

...account management may be more important than any other issue, and these are all giant question marks with regard to the Switch. It’s not an encouraging thing, and clarity isn't coming anytime soon, even after the day-one update. It’s fair to say this is extraordinarily alarming, and while Nintendo may get some free passes, this is specifically the one area in which it has no credit left.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » March 1st, 2017, 12:37 pm

CharlieR wrote:Anybody excited for Friday? I won't be getting a switch, but I'm excited to see reviews and such.

I'm curious to see or 1-2-Switch will get a positive response.... because I think it looks horrible. Also, excited to see reviews of another games than Zelda (because everybody will like that one). (Well, i'm just looking forward to reviews of Super Bomberman R and Snipperclips (I just learned the latter one will be only be a download title, which I think sucks)). In all honesty, I don't find the other launch games interesting at all.

Rev

Postby Rev » March 1st, 2017, 3:13 pm

I'm less concerned about negative switch console reviews than poor game reviews. The console can be built poorly and have good games; if it doesn't have good games than the console is doomed. Curious to see how all the launch titles get reviewed.

scotland

Postby scotland » March 1st, 2017, 3:40 pm

One thing I realized is that the screen size is 6.2". I am typing this on a 5.7" phone screen. Thats fine for a handheld, but its being advertised as two people looking at the screen playing games outside. Thats a pretty small screen for that.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 1st, 2017, 5:59 pm

I am excited for Zelda. I got it for the WiiU, and cant wait to play it. I hope it lives up to the hype, because I would be super bummed if I got another Skyward Sword.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » March 1st, 2017, 9:20 pm

Rev wrote:I'm less concerned about negative switch console reviews than poor game reviews. The console can be built poorly and have good games; if it doesn't have good games than the console is doomed. Curious to see how all the launch titles get reviewed.

It's pretty safe to say that Breath of the Wild will get tons of praise. People have given positive impressions of Snipperclips as well, and there are also a number of already well-received multiplatform games coming to Switch. I'd say the quality of the console is the bigger issue because reviews of the system itself, though not exactly negative overall, do mention several odd issues that could easily have been fixed prior to launch like a fragile stand that also inexplicably functions as the SD card cover and the left Joy-Con disconnecting randomly.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » March 2nd, 2017, 8:43 am

Rerez put out a pretty solid review of this thing. Its worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn72uuvnSUY

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » March 2nd, 2017, 11:21 pm

Rookie1 wrote:Rerez put out a pretty solid review of this thing. Its worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn72uuvnSUY

I just finished watching that review, and he touched upon some very valid points! I thought that the food court test was very interesting, and also very telling. Gaming has become a unique beast where, I believe, we've ran out of the element of surprise/wonder. I can't tell you how much my mind was blown when I downloaded GTA III onto my iPhone 5 when I first got it, back in late 2012. Anything can be achieved, and I don't think that there is an electronic device, at least not in the era of ipads and the constant evolution of smartphones, that has the ability to really give people that social "wow" factor!

I liked how specific he got with the battery life, and his explanation of the battery bank was very informative! In fact, a small part of me (and I do mean a VERY small part) was curious to the point where I contemplated swinging by Target and Wal-Mart after work to see if they had any in stock (why not? That's how I got my Wii U). This review just saved me $300, and I need to stop being an early adopter! Ha!

Thanks for posting that, man! It helped!

Return to “Video Games General”