Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Postby Retrology » October 28th, 2016, 8:04 pm

We all opinions, positive or negative, that the majority of gamers do not agree on. What are yours?

1. Sonic 3D Blast is a great game

2. The Genesis is the greatest video game console of all time.

3. Sonic CD and Super Mario Bros 3 are overrated.

4. Star Fox 64 is the best game on the N64.

5. The first Sonic Drift is underrated.

6. Outrun is not my kind of game (I prefer Road Rash)

7. 3D graphics can be just as appealing as 2D ones.

8. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best 2D play former from the 20th century.

9. Chrono Trigger is the best video game ever.

Thoughts?

CharlieR

Re: Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Postby CharlieR » October 28th, 2016, 9:30 pm

Mario kart 64 is overrated. I feel it gets the praise it does because of its multiplayer. Gameplay isn't that great. Id take it one step further and say mickey speedway usa is the best n64 racer.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » October 29th, 2016, 12:44 am

Everyone seems to love the first Strider game, but I think it has a horrible amount of cheap moments that really bog down the fun factor.

Ghosts n' Goblins has similar issues and I consider it to be a legitimately bad game. The sequels make numerous improvements and are much better games as a result.

The vast majority of 3D games from the N64/PS1/Saturn era have not aged well (Super Mario 64 is a notable exception). I recognize their historical significance, but I just can't bring myself to deal with the now-clunky controls.

Related to the above, Goldeneye (and any other FPS on the system, for that matter) is nigh-unplayable with an N64 controller.

The GameCube controller may be the definitive controller for Super Smash Bros, but it's not at all optimal for most other games.

The PS3 and PS4 controllers are better than the Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers because Microsoft still hasn't completely grasped the concept of making a D-pad that people can comfortably reach without their hand getting uncomfortable over long periods of time. The fact that some people call the 360 controller the greatest one of all time truly baffles me.

The PS Vita deserves more love, considering it's the only way you can play a lot of excellent indies on the go.

The Wii U is the best system of this generation due to having quite a few (far more than people give it credit for) unique exclusives.

Shadow the Hedgehog is no masterpiece, but I never thought it was THAT bad compared to the unspeakable horrors of Sonic '06 and Rise of Lyric.

Super Mario Sunshine is considerably worse than Galaxy. This opinion used to be the norm, but in recent years there's been an increasing amount of people clamoring for a Sunshine sequel and even claiming it to be the best 3D Mario game.

The Witcher 3 is unbelievably dull to play.

If its color scheme weren't the epitome of eye-rape and if it weren't so uncomfortable to use, the Virtual Boy would be a legitimately good system in regards to its games.

The SNES version of Aladdin is more fun than the Genesis version.

Welp, that was a lot more than I thought. Better brace myself for criticism.

Sut

Postby Sut » October 29th, 2016, 2:52 am

Great topic !

1). The Saturn has aged the best out of the 5th generation thanks to its 2D muscle and arcade style games.

2). The 2D Zelda games are obtuse and dull.

3). Nintendo haven't made a good console since the SNES.

4). Hard Disk Installs are a good thing.

5). I love the Mega CD and 32x. They have some great exclusives that the MegaDrive or SNES couldn't do.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » October 29th, 2016, 10:49 am

Favorite Zelda game is Zelda II, favorite Castlevania game is Simon's Quest, favorite Sonic games are Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes, favorite beat-em-up to this day is arcade Double Dragon (above the Final Fight and Streets of Rage series'). I also enjoyed both Friday the 13th and Robin Hood Prince of Thieves on the NES.

That is enough shame for one day.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 29th, 2016, 12:55 pm

1. I love well-done cut-scenes and find them a reward for playing.
2. VR is the only development I'm actually excited about in the current gaming generation.
3. Unless they are mentioning bugs that will have serious negative impacts (erasing your save data, repeatedly crashing the game or creating a situation were a game cannot be completed), all tech talk (such as game installation times, changing gaming profiles or control schemes, etc) should be either be left out of a review or at least shouldn't affect the review score.
4. Most console games before the 8-bit era aren't worth bothering with.
5. I find talking about "the good old days" of gaming terribly boring and self-defeating (I'm talking about navel-gazing here, not when someone digs up interesting literature, video or photos related to older gaming).
6. If someone who was tech-savvy asked me for the one console they should buy, I'd tell them to build or buy a decent gaming PC and just plug it into their TV.
7. Written reviews of games are largely redundant in the age of Youtube.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » October 29th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Rejection of the following assumption: That being an avid video gamer means you automatically support gratuitous violence and the objectification of women in video games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 29th, 2016, 2:45 pm

I think touch screens are terrible for video games.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 29th, 2016, 3:32 pm

1. I actually enjoyed E.T. Back in the day on my 2600 and had fun with it. I still stick it in a few times a year.

2. (I'll catch hell for this) but with the exception of the Wii, the SNES is my least fave Nintendo console.

3. I agree with the above member in that I think Friday the 13th on the NES is a lot of fun.

4. The Sega Cd is limited, but is a worthy add on.

5. I always thought River Raid on the 2600 was overrated.

6. I don't like handheld gaming at all.

7. The Vectrex and Virtual Boy do not interest me at all.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 29th, 2016, 5:02 pm

When it comes to revisiting old games form the childhood, there are a few that I enjoy, but most of the time, I come away thinking "nostalgia is best left in the past" *

*unless you're doing this with a friend, then it's awesome.

The 64 is a system that survived on fewer than 10 "classic" games.

I could never get used to the Genesis controller.

Return to “Video Games General”