Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
velcrozombie

Re: Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Postby velcrozombie » December 4th, 2016, 1:59 am

Alucard1191 wrote:
velcrozombie wrote:- I prefer the look of many 3D 5th-generation games to 3d 6th-generation games; the more abstracted forms of the 5th-generation ended up aging better than some of the more "uncanny valley" 3d modeling of the following generation.

Can I ask what exactly you mean by this? I just want to clarify. What is 5th vs. 6th generation? Please elaborate on this with a few examples if you could.

5th generation - PS1, N64 and Sega Saturn
6th generation - Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and XBox

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 4th, 2016, 1:34 pm

velcrozombie wrote:
Alucard1191 wrote:
velcrozombie wrote:- I prefer the look of many 3D 5th-generation games to 3d 6th-generation games; the more abstracted forms of the 5th-generation ended up aging better than some of the more "uncanny valley" 3d modeling of the following generation.

Can I ask what exactly you mean by this? I just want to clarify. What is 5th vs. 6th generation? Please elaborate on this with a few examples if you could.

5th generation - PS1, N64 and Sega Saturn
6th generation - Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube and XBox

Alright, so are 4th generation things like the Genesis and SNES? Or are the kind of flop systems like the Jaguar and 3d0 4th gen? Why don't you just break down the generations of systems for me, lol.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 4th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Jag and 3DO are early fifth generation. Genesis, SNES, and Turbografx are fourth.

Third: 8-bit systems post-crash - NES/Master System
Second: 8-bit systems pre-crash - 2600/Intellivision/Colecovision
First: Non-programmable systems - Pong/Odyssey

These examples are obviously not exhaustive.

JWK

Postby JWK » December 4th, 2016, 11:42 pm

Was that JLH that said he hates the N64? Yeah. That's why he and I get along. So I'll add to it here...

The N64 is absolutely the most overrated console in gaming history. Of its generation, it had the worst color palate, the smallest number of worthwhile games, the worst controller, a format (cartridges) that murdered its own third party dev appeal, the smallest number of 2d games, the ugliest polygons (ok, that one might not be true), and a fan base unwilling to admit that it's best games-- Golden Eye 007, Mario Kart 64, and *gasp* Ocarina of Time-- HAVEN'T AGED WELL. Every time I see it near the top of Greatest Consoles of All Time Lists, I wanna hurl. I read a list that put it at #2 all time. NUMBER TWO. You know what console deserves to be number 2 *over* the N64? How about... oh I don't know... EVERY CONSOLE EVER?!?

Ok, a bunch of that was just fun hyperbole. But I really don't like the N64 and I'm certain it's Sacred Cow status is pure nostalgia. The PS1 and Saturn on the other hand have libraries that I still play today.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » December 5th, 2016, 1:41 am

Check out this link for video game console generation definitions and timelines. Might be some debate around the edges, but it's mostly agreed upon: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » December 5th, 2016, 5:06 am

I don't think that the N64 was a great console, but a couple of those points are just wrong in a way that makes me itch.

JWK wrote:Of its generation, it had the worst color palate

What? Every system from that generation had a 24-bit palette (not a palate, which is the roof of your mouth or your taste in food... and not a pallet, which is what you use to move crates). In terms of onscreen colors, while the N64 technically had a lower absolute limit than the PlayStation's, the actual number of colors its games displayed was higher - the N64's texture filtering used a lot of colors, and the PlayStation's limited video RAM meant that a lot of its more sophisticated games had to run at lower color depths. In any case, it's all irrelevant because none of this is really noticeable either way, since the game assets of the time had limited color in the first place.

JWK wrote:the ugliest polygons (ok, that one might not be true)

Yeah, not even close. The specific reason that it isn't true is that they're processed at sub-pixel precision; the PlayStation doesn't do that (at least not in hardware) and can only move polygons entire pixels at a time, which is why they jitter around and sometimes get gaps between them. The N64 also has a higher poly count on top of that.

If you want to rip on the N64's hardware, go for its worthless texture RAM. 4 kilobytes! That's why so many of its games have such blurry textures; higher-resolution ones just don't fit. Nintendo actually had to put out a RAM pack add-on to give developers room to breathe.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 5th, 2016, 3:25 pm

I agree of all the consoles I own the Nintendo 64 is my least played. I got it back to relive the memories of my young adulthood. About two years ago. Then I got a Saturn which I had never owned before. When I first got the Saturn I was very disappointed. The 64 I played but lost interest after about a month. Now I am discovering beautiful gems I had never heard of before and am now very glad I am a Saturn owner. I don't think I've touched the 64 in 5 months. I have all my consoles hooked up to two different tvs in my basement except my Odyssey 2. That thing is huge so it's in storage. But the 64's library is just boring to me. And I agree with the above member....the worst controller ever...though I have never had a 5200 so I'm sure that would take the cake. Sega and Sony to me have made the best consoles...but I do luv me some 2600, Nes and GameCube too.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » December 5th, 2016, 6:14 pm

To each his own. I personally love my N64 because I like the games it has. It's not nostalgia for me (I'm worn out on games like Banjo Tooie and Donkey Kong 64); Games like Star Fox 64, Blast Corps, 1080 Snowboarding, Beetle Adventure Racing, Pokemon Snap, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Tennis, Super Mario 64, F-Zero X, Paper Mario, NBA Courtside 2, San Francisco Rush, and Super Smash Bros are games I still enjoy playing a lot to this day.

I love the console's arcade style games, but respect the views of those who don't like the console. Fine by me, we all have our opinions on it, I just love the console.

And this is coming from someone who thinks the Genesis is the best console of all time.

Sut

Postby Sut » March 21st, 2018, 4:03 pm

Castlevania Bloodlines is a better and more balanced game than Rondo of Blood.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » March 30th, 2018, 5:56 pm

I rather play the 2600 version of Donkey Kong over any other port for any other console.

Return to “Video Games General”