Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Re: Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Postby matmico399 » November 1st, 2016, 12:19 pm

I agree the Nes and The Cube are Nintendo's best consoles. I have a SNES and a 64, but I just don't enjoy them nearly as much.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 1st, 2016, 2:09 pm

1. The Sonic series holds little to no interest for me. Even the 1990s games aren't my cup of tea, and the 3D games are often suffused with creepy and/or furry fandom overtones.

1a. The 8-bit Sonic games are arguably better than the 16-bit ones.

2. Often, I'd rather play a "bad" game than a good one. Good games can be boring and predictable, and are often way too long because they're aimed at homebound nerds willing to waste endless hours. At least bad games often take a chance and offer something different; many are tough but short, and so can be finished in one sitting.

2a. Many people's definition of "good" is really "something that gives me what I expected and makes me feel good about myself"; many people's definition of bad is "something that isn't exactly what I wanted and makes me feel stupid or incompetent". And that goes for all media, not just games.

2b. Many -- maybe most -- people like to be flattered and to have their prejudices confirmed, and resent learning new things because it makes them feel stupid and challenges the notion that they're perfect exactly the way they are. So they're not interested in meeting a game (or film, book, etc.) halfway to understand what it's trying to do, because they're not really interested in anything but their own exalted selves.

3. Castle of Illusion is a plodding, dull game, packed with cheap hits on higher difficulties, and is massively overrated.

4. Sports games are basically RPGs for jocks.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » November 1st, 2016, 4:51 pm

Also:

Bubsy 3D (PS1) is - without a doubt - THE worst game ever made.

Corvette (PS2/Xbox) is a hidden gem.

Glover (N64) is one of the best N64 games ever.

NBA Hangtime (Arcade/N64) is better than NBA Jam and the best basketball game ever.

Rugrats: Studio Tour (PS1) is a guilty pleasure.

Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) is underrated.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 1st, 2016, 4:59 pm

1. The AVGN is annoying with his constant cursing and dumb persona.

2. I abhor the N64 controller.

3. The Saturn is a very good system

4. Raiders of The Lost Ark is a top 10 2600 game.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 1st, 2016, 6:46 pm

This has been an excellent thread. Lots of opinions, and very little pushbacks because they are just opinions.

1. I think the 8 bit computers are an underappreciated lost branch on the video game family tree. PCs and the NES really dominated the market over the 1980s, but did not carry on the ecosystems catevorized with many the genres and amateur developers. PCs and the NES helped cement (maybe even rescue) video gaming from being a nerdy hobby, and subdivided at that, into mainstream entertainment, but not without some cost.

2. I am okay with emulation, with caveats. If the game is currently for sale, its very different from an old game that isn't. Not legally, but the law and my opinion are not always in sync.

3. I think the arcades are another lost branch, by and large. I miss the social quality too. Gaminng was measured in tokens and peer praise and high score.

4. I think online multiplayer is big business and here to stay and I totally get the appeal, but I appreciated local multiplayer far more. My best gaming memories are playing friends and family, joking and socializing.

5. I am okay with digital downloads. I prefer physical games, but I also have a substantial digital library and I am okay with that. Its also an extremely affordable way to build a library.

6. I am okay with touchscreens for some genres. For instance, I enjoy roguelikes, and they do just fine.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 1st, 2016, 8:35 pm

1. Even though we got into it more than once, I miss Steer/Steerforth/Segatarious.
2. Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie are two of the greatest games ever made.
3. As much as I loved the 2600, compared to the INTV or the CV, the 2600 has not aged well overall.
4. Graphic updates of games like Skyrim for the XBox One and PS4 are rip offs.
5. Not impressed with Nintendo's Switch.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 1st, 2016, 9:23 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:1. Even though we got into it more than once, I miss Steer/Steerforth/Segatarious.
2. Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie are two of the greatest games ever made.
3. As much as I loved the 2600, compared to the INTV or the CV, the 2600 has not aged well overall.
4. Graphic updates of games like Skyrim for the XBox One and PS4 are rip offs.
5. Not impressed with Nintendo's Switch.

Steer, Weallmissedme, Darkrage6/Vexer6, and jaronfinalfight are all part of the "hall of shame" on these boards. However I agree, I miss them all!

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » November 1st, 2016, 10:51 pm

1) I think the Atari 2600 library isn't just a collection of old gaming relics; it's full of games that are still very fun to play even to this day.

2) I like Pac-Man just as much as Ms. Pac-Man.

3) In general I prefer 8-bit platformers to 16-bit ones.

4) My favorite way to play first-person shooters on consoles is with the Wii remote and nunchuk.

5) I like motion controls.

BanjoPickles wrote:10). The Nintendo Gamecube was the third best console that Nintendo ever designed, behind the NES and SNES. I've never understood why people disliked the system. I loved the look, those discs, and also the controller itself, which fit my hand perfectly!

I can only assume you have an extra digit or two on your right hand because I've always found that Z button awkward to use.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » November 2nd, 2016, 10:13 am

Wario Land 4 is the best game in the Wario Land series.

Wario Land 3 was a childhood game of mine, and while a lot of it is still fun, the 2nd half of the game drags the fun down because it's confusing to tell where you're supposed to go. Wario Land 2 has a similar issue. Not with Wario Land 4. It's straightforward, so you always know where to go, yet the game features plenty of hidden areas and replay value.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » November 2nd, 2016, 11:08 am

scotland wrote:This has been an excellent thread. Lots of opinions, and very little pushbacks because they are just opinions.

1. I think the 8 bit computers are an underappreciated lost branch on the video game family tree. PCs and the NES really dominated the market over the 1980s, but did not carry on the ecosystems catevorized with many the genres and amateur developers. PCs and the NES helped cement (maybe even rescue) video gaming from being a nerdy hobby, and subdivided at that, into mainstream entertainment, but not without some cost.

2. I am okay with emulation, with caveats. If the game is currently for sale, its very different from an old game that isn't. Not legally, but the law and my opinion are not always in sync.

3. I think the arcades are another lost branch, by and large. I miss the social quality too. Gaminng was measured in tokens and peer praise and high score.

4. I think online multiplayer is big business and here to stay and I totally get the appeal, but I appreciated local multiplayer far more. My best gaming memories are playing friends and family, joking and socializing.

5. I am okay with digital downloads. I prefer physical games, but I also have a substantial digital library and I am okay with that. Its also an extremely affordable way to build a library.

6. I am okay with touchscreens for some genres. For instance, I enjoy roguelikes, and they do just fine.

In regards to #5, I couldn't agree more! I honestly love having a digital library! I have amassed a very sizeable digital collection for my 3DS, PS Vita, and Wii U! With the exception of unattainables (i.e. all of the great licensed Capcom/Konami games, games by companies that no longer exist, games by companies that now belong to other companies, etc.), I have almost all of my favorite games from my childhood, and I can take them with me! Actually, I recently took a day off and went to a local coffee shop. It was a stormy day, so I didn't feel too terribly guilty about sitting around and playing my 3DS. I played a bit of Castlevania II, and then I jumped over to Legend of Mystical Ninja. It made me think about how much I appreciate the convenience of digital downloads. We've reached the point where you can have a handheld that is basically several consoles-in-one! In my opinion, that's awesome!

Return to “Video Games General”