Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

General and high profile video game topics.
ptdebate

Re: Confess Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Postby ptdebate » November 2nd, 2016, 3:54 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:In regards to #5, I couldn't agree more! I honestly love having a digital library! I have amassed a very sizeable digital collection for my 3DS, PS Vita, and Wii U! With the exception of unattainables (i.e. all of the great licensed Capcom/Konami games, games by companies that no longer exist, games by companies that now belong to other companies, etc.), I have almost all of my favorite games from my childhood, and I can take them with me! Actually, I recently took a day off and went to a local coffee shop. It was a stormy day, so I didn't feel too terribly guilty about sitting around and playing my 3DS. I played a bit of Castlevania II, and then I jumped over to Legend of Mystical Ninja. It made me think about how much I appreciate the convenience of digital downloads. We've reached the point where you can have a handheld that is basically several consoles-in-one! In my opinion, that's awesome!

I think the biggest argument against digital libraries comes from anxiety about eventually losing content you paid for when servers shut down, your hardware breaks down, or the zombie apocalypse happens. That one issue is solved if you just take responsibility for backing up your collection.

My unpopular opinions:

1. The Evil Within is actually better than RE4 (although admittedly not a perfect game).
2. RE1 Remake is the best Resident Evil game.
3. Final Fantasy X is better than VII (and is the best Final Fantasy).
4. Super Mario 3D World is the best 3D Mario since 64.
5. Using cheat codes diminishes the fun of gaming.
6. Demon's Souls is better than any Zelda game.
7. Skyrim isn't very good.
8. THE INTV CONTROLLER ISN'T THAT BAD.
9. INTV < 2600.
10. N64 > Gamecube

MrLuck87

Postby MrLuck87 » November 2nd, 2016, 4:08 pm

1. The Virtual Boy was a great system. I think it could have been a moderate success if they had stuck with it and released something like a Virtual Boy Pocket that fixed some of the issues people had with the original (maybe even adding a black and white mode for people who don't like the red)

2. Zelda: The Wind Waker wasn't enjoyable because it was easy and boring. The Wii U version's Hero Mode fixed this.

3. The Xbox 360 controller is awful. The D-Pad is horrible and I swear every used controller I've played with has worn out joysticks.

Tron

Postby Tron » November 2nd, 2016, 9:15 pm

1. I hate unkillable characters in open world games (Skyrim & Fallout 4).

2. multiplayer online & DLC were not able to get me online, but mods for Skyrim might if there is a (No Essentials) mod.

3. GTA has progressively gotten worse since San Andreas (PS2).

4. Tactics games are my favorite genre, yet I hate cutesy anime. Unfortuantely that's an almost unavoidable problem.

5. Dreamcast is a dud. The only good games are Tennis & Street Fighter & both of those games are on other systems.

6. I love the PSP. Double unpopular opinion is that I love buying movies for it too.

7. I want to control armies in tactics games. Anything less then 5 characters is boring.

8. Brigandine (PS1) is a masterpiece.

9. In fighting games less combos is better.

10. I love golf games.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » November 3rd, 2016, 5:06 pm

My Unpopular Video Game Opinions top 10!

10. I hate EA with an enraged passion because they ruined my video game youth with their crappy Harry Poter gmaes/the company itself!

9. I liked Kingdom Hearts Re:coded more then 358/2 Days, and even Dream Drop Distance in some aspects.

8. I really like the Sega Saturn, and think it has a stronger library of platformers then the Sega Dreamcast thanks to its notable at the time period exclusives such as Clockwork Knight series, Astal, Nights into dreams, etc. Which I think have held up better then both Sonic Adventure games. Also add to the fact the Sega Saturn got game series such as Mega Man/Metal Slug, where the Sega Dreamcast got zero throughout its lifespan.

7. I HATE Final Fantasy VII because I watched the god-awful Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children movie first, and later played the game later, and gave me a bad bad taste in my mouth!

6. I am also not a fan of most AAA games as well.

5. Even though I love the PlayStation Family of consoles, I was generally not a fan of the PS2 unless it was anything Kingdom Hearts related on the system. The thing that turns me off the system is I was more use to the sharp/smooth visuals of the Sega Dreamcast/Nintendo GameCube, as the PS2 games had choppy/Grain/blurry graphics and long load times. Thank god for the PS3 PS2 classics/remasters as it makes the PS2 games more appealing to me like it was supposed to be.

4. I do not like FPS games/GTA style open world games, their not my cup of tea.

3. I know I have brought this up many times in the past in the forums but relates with the topic, but I think the 8th console generation is the only gen where old gen/handheld versions for systems such as PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita/3DS versions held back 95% of the 8th gen console/PC multi-platform games save for the few exceptions here and their. (The dreadful PS3/Xbox 360 port of Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor being a prime example where they did not hold the game back to the weakest link and it was a buggy/broken/choppy/incomplete mess complete with the famous Nemesis system being ruined in the two ports only.)

2. I do not think Atari 2600 ET is the worst game ever made.

1. I prefer Console/dedicated handheld gaming over PC gaming, and can not stand the PC Master Race community.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » November 3rd, 2016, 6:17 pm

ptdebate wrote:My unpopular opinions

1. The Evil Within is actually better than RE4 (although admittedly not a perfect game).

Anything is better than RE4

ptdebate wrote:2. RE1 Remake is the best Resident Evil game.

I own it, but havent played it yet. The original was a masterpiece of its time, so I can only imagine the remake is follows suit.

ptdebate wrote:5. Using cheat codes diminishes the fun of gaming.

Yes/no. I like to use them to explore certain games, see everything that it has to offer. I suck at games and cant usually do that otherwise.

ptdebate wrote:6. Demon's Souls is better than any Zelda game.

Sacrilege!

ptdebate wrote:7. Skyrim isn't very good.

Agreed. I played it for a while, and just couldnt get in to it.

ptdebate wrote:8. THE INTV CONTROLLER ISN'T THAT BAD.

I enjoyed it. Thought the slip in things for the game pads were a cool touch.

ptdebate wrote:9. INTV < 2600.

True. INTV has generally better graphics, but the 2600 is all around more enjoyable to play.

ptdebate wrote:10. N64 > Gamecube

Debatable.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 14th, 2016, 8:51 am

Mortal kombat: Shaolin monks is the best 3d action game ever.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » December 3rd, 2016, 3:06 pm

I prefer the 3D Mario games to the 2D ones. I enjoy and appreciate the 2D Marios for what they are and their influence, but I've always preferred the wide open exploration and level design of the 3D Mario games for their continuing innovation, replay value and imagination. Since New Super Mario Bros I've felt that the 2D Mario games, while certainly great, aren't *as* great as everyone makes them out to be, and the 3D Marios hold up better to me and are more interesting to play.

In fact, I personally prefer the Sonic Genesis games, Yoshi's Island, and the Donkey Kong Country series to the 2D Mario games.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 3rd, 2016, 3:53 pm

velcrozombie wrote:- As terrible as the Genesis/Megadrive sound chip is, I think it sounds much more interesting and full of life than the SNES sound chip (which always made me think of educational computer games).

- I prefer the look of many 3D 5th-generation games to 3d 6th-generation games; the more abstracted forms of the 5th-generation ended up aging better than some of the more "uncanny valley" 3d modeling of the following generation.

-

Can I ask what exactly you mean by this? I just want to clarify. What is 5th vs. 6th generation? Please elaborate on this with a few examples if you could.

As for my contribution to this:

I hate how "easy" new games are nowadays. Things like constant checkpoints, multiplayer respawning, and many of the advances brought on by the halo generation of games. Another thing I don't like in general is the newfound obsession with FPS as the preferred format. Don't get me wrong, there are great games in there, but even RPGs are going that way. I honestly don't like the new fallout games and I LOVE the originals. And the Elder Scrolls series has always been that way, which made it unique back then and as such more fun to play. Fallout 3 disappointed me, and while New Vegas was much better, I still had a much harder time getting into it than I have in previous games. With the exception of some unique gems like the portal, half-life series, or fun multiplayer games like TF2, (Hmm... like the Orange Box was my last real loved FPS experience...) I just don't like the FPS format in general.

Though, for the record, if I had something capable of running Doom 4 I'd really like to try that game.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 3rd, 2016, 4:19 pm

ptdebate wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:In regards to #5, I couldn't agree more! I honestly love having a digital library! I have amassed a very sizeable digital collection for my 3DS, PS Vita, and Wii U! With the exception of unattainables (i.e. all of the great licensed Capcom/Konami games, games by companies that no longer exist, games by companies that now belong to other companies, etc.), I have almost all of my favorite games from my childhood, and I can take them with me! Actually, I recently took a day off and went to a local coffee shop. It was a stormy day, so I didn't feel too terribly guilty about sitting around and playing my 3DS. I played a bit of Castlevania II, and then I jumped over to Legend of Mystical Ninja. It made me think about how much I appreciate the convenience of digital downloads. We've reached the point where you can have a handheld that is basically several consoles-in-one! In my opinion, that's awesome!

I think the biggest argument against digital libraries comes from anxiety about eventually losing content you paid for when servers shut down, your hardware breaks down, or the zombie apocalypse happens. That one issue is solved if you just take responsibility for backing up your collection.

My unpopular opinions:

2. RE1 Remake is the best Resident Evil game.
3. Final Fantasy X is better than VII (and is the best Final Fantasy).
4. Super Mario 3D World is the best 3D Mario since 64.
5. Using cheat codes diminishes the fun of gaming.
6. Demon's Souls is better than any Zelda game.
7. Skyrim isn't very good.
8. THE INTV CONTROLLER ISN'T THAT BAD.
9. INTV < 2600.
10. N64 > Gamecube

Going to take some issue with a few, agreement with others.

2) RE1 remake is the best RE game: I AGREE. I absolutely love playing that game with all the lights off and the sound loud on a big TV. Talk about freaky. I like doing that with deadspace too, but I HATE horror movies in general... but enjoy and have played numerous "Survival Horror" games. What does that say? Anyway, complete agreement here.

3) Final Fantasy X.... oye. Have to viscerally disagree with you here. I would make the statement that Final Fantasy 6 is better than 7, simply by how they've aged, and I've played both relatively recently. (Last year and a half) But for me, Final Fantasy X, and it's god awful sequel, X-2, were where I cut ties with Square. I was a square FANATIC before those games. Xenogears, Bushido Blade, Saga Frontier, Final Fantasy remakes, (And Tactics) Saga Frontier, etc. I felt the SNES and PS phase of that company was so incredible that for them to falter so with X and the MMO versions and whatnot really made me lose faith in that company just as a whole.

I also know that to not like Final X is more rare, as it was well received and many people like it... but it really didn't hit me well. To me it pretty much combined everything I didn't like about 7-9 without the endearing qualities.

5) Cheat codes diminishes the fun of gaming. Yes yes a million times yes.

In an bit of an offshoot of that, games like Hearthstone or a lot of facebook style games that reward people for spending real money that is DRASTICALLY better than anything you could find even if you're playing all the time. It makes you feel like there isn't any real purpose to look for things and explore/level up/etc. when someone who doesn't mind spending money on that kind of stuff can just destroy you.

7) Skyrim isn't very good. I agree with you here as well. I said this earlier, but I really don't like the FPS format overall. (With a few exceptions.) The writing and such isn't nearly as good in Skyrim as Fallout: New Vegas, for example. (Cue Theoretical degree in Theoretical Physics here.)

10) N64 better than GC. I think they're honestly both great systems that are good for different things. I have a hard time picking between these, both get plenty of play from me between RE4, the RE remake, and Mario 64....

Alright, another unpopular opinion of mine:

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best Final Fantasy game, Period. TONS of hidden stuff, an unapologetically adult storyline, real, genuine, SERIOUS difficulty level. (Some fights in that game, like the very first fight you encounter summoners in Chapter 1, are absolutely nuts.) You can charm monsters, the leveling up/job system is insanely intricate but also intuitive...

Alright, ya'll have done it. I'm hooking my PS2 and SNES tonight and playing some of these greats.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » December 3rd, 2016, 4:41 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:I'm going to take some heat for my list:

1). I find most diehard Nintendo fans to be annoying with their nonstop rationalizing of every dopey Nintendo blunder.

2). I am convinced that the DS is the best system, game for game, that Nintendo has ever released. This, however, is coming from a retro enthusiast.

3). Shenmue was Sega's masterpiece.

4). This goes along with #1. I roll my eyes at the notion that Nintendo is the only company pushing innovation. If anything, I've always seen Sega, during their hardware years, as the more innovative, forward-thinking company, which partially explains why they are no longer in the ring. Nintendo, by comparison, always seemed more conservative.

5). Final Fantasy VI is the absolute best game in the entire series.

6). Metroid Prime was easily the best game in the entire series because it absolutely defied everybody's expectations!

7). Virtual Console is one of Nintendo's biggest missed opportunities.

8). Sony isn't given enough credit for emphasizing the importance of third-party software.

9). The Atari Lynx was an amazing handheld that deserved the support that it never got.

10). The Nintendo Gamecube was the third best console that Nintendo ever designed, behind the NES and SNES. I've never understood why people disliked the system. I loved the look, those discs, and also the controller itself, which fit my hand perfectly!

I'm late to this party, hence the many responses now, but I want to get my two cents in.

Alright, few things I'll take some exception/agreement with.

3) Shenmue... yes. I want to emphatically agree with that. The game is super advanced for its time, it holds up well, is supremely detailed... it is an absolute masterpiece.

4) Going to disagree with you here actually. Nintendo is conservative in some ways. They tend to market their product to children and nintendo fans exclusively, which is conservative, but they were the first to have a 6 button controller, first with shoulder buttons (snes), first with an analog stick (n64), first with motion controls, (Wii) and even the plunder that was the Virtual Boy was a technological achievement of the day. And I played it when it was new as a child... eye hurting, yes, but AMAZING back in the mid 90's? Yes.

5) Final Fantasy VI. This is literally the reason I quoted you. Of the "numbered" Final Fantasy games, this is my favorite. I even married a Terra. (Same spelling) She has super long hair like the game character, and could totally pull off a cosplay if I could convince her to die her hair teal... but I digress. VI is better than any of the PS ones in my opinion. Though Tactics is my favorite.

6) Not sure if I'd say the best in the series, I might still give that to Super Metroid, but it is really close. Metroid Prime was absolutely fantastic. And is one of the few FPS style games I like.

7) I would have liked to see Nintendo use the technology from the Virtual Boy in a new and unique way. I played it a lot when it was new and it was really, really cool back then... though only for short play sessions.

8) I agree with that point. Sony DESTROYED Sega, and made Nintendo barely able to hold on, entirely because of this fact. Back in the Playstation, Saturn, and N64 days, Sega and Nintendo made huge errors: Sega made the Saturn really hard to program 3d graphics on, which made third party developers flock to Sony, as it was easier to program for, and Nintendo stuck with the Cartridge format, which had been proven inferior in many, many ways by both the PS1 and the Saturn. Storage space alone was a huge issue on the N64, which is why the system does not have any epic Final Fantasy style RPGs. A 4 disc game would take many, many more cartridges to be able to handle the memory alone, and that was not possible or economically viable back then. Sony is still riding high on the 3rd party success from those days. (Looking at Console sales vs. Nintendo easily shows that advantage.)

10) Yeah... I don't get the hate on the GC, it's one of my favorite systems. I like it far more than my Wii, and the controller is my personal favorite of that generation of consoles.

Return to “Video Games General”