Great Moments in Gaming

General and high profile video game topics.
tortimer

Re: Great Moments in Gaming

Postby tortimer » November 26th, 2016, 10:22 pm

What a great topic. I thought about this on and off, even jotted a few down. Let's see...

The first time I ever got my initials on the hi score list (for an arcade game). Back in those days beating a game was an emerging, somewhat distant concept even on home consoles. In all those early classics it was about one thing: Getting a hi score and proving it to the world.

The first time seeing an idle animation. This was mind-blowing, characters that do something all on their own because you stopped controlling them. So cool. I always think of the first Sonic game but probably it was Little Computer People (1985) (C64).

Defeating a Metal Slime in Dragon Warrior (NES). So difficult - they always flee the battle as soon as health gets low on top of being a super rare encounter in the first place. Then one day you finally defeat one and SO MUCH experience points!

Playing Star Fox for the first time was pretty memorable. If felt so epic and so much like a fancy arcade or computer game when every other SNES game up to that point was pixel art. This was truly another world.

Pretty much everything about the experience of playing EarthBound. One of those games that's fun as a kid or as an adult, timeless with its quirky character and so unlike anything that had come before it.

There was this one weapon in GoldenEye, a guided rocket or some such, and you launch it and then suddenly you're controlling this thing remotely with what can only be described as a "rocket cam" ... and now you're zooming through the level to hunt down one of your buddies who thinks he's being clever hiding behind a pillar way on the other side of the map and then - KABLOOEY!

That fateful first night in Don't Starve when you don't quite know what to expect and you've gone out of the way not to find out too much about the game so you really have no idea what's in store for your character...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 26th, 2016, 10:57 pm

Well played tortimer... well played.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » November 27th, 2016, 1:30 am

A few big ones, all of them from Final Fantasy VI:

-the mode 7 intro where you're walking through the snow-covered landscape as the opening credits roll.

-the "end of the earth," waking up a year later as Celes is on a deserted island with Cid.

-the end credits. Who would have thought that something as simple as pages turning on a book could be so impressive?

Return to “Video Games General”