Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Video Game

General and high profile video game topics.
twilighthotel

Re: Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Video Game

Postby twilighthotel » November 20th, 2016, 9:39 am

matmico399 wrote:Robotrek Jaws on the NES has always looked fun to me. But I have not gotten because of bad reviews and word of mouth. With your good words about it I think I will pick it up if it's fairly cheap.

I'd second Jaws. Stylistically it is a game that could have been done on the Intellivision, Colecovision or 7800, but it is an enjoyable arcade style underwater shooter. It really only takes a hit when trying to kill Jaws in the final first person sequence. Otherwise it is a better game than people give it credit for as long as you aren't expecting an NES-style game with multiple levels or dungeons.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 20th, 2016, 11:03 am

twilighthotel wrote:
matmico399 wrote:Robotrek Jaws on the NES has always looked fun to me. But I have not gotten because of bad reviews and word of mouth. With your good words about it I think I will pick it up if it's fairly cheap.

I'd second Jaws. Stylistically it is a game that could have been done on the Intellivision, Colecovision or 7800, but it is an enjoyable arcade style underwater shooter. It really only takes a hit when trying to kill Jaws in the final first person sequence. Otherwise it is a better game than people give it credit for as long as you aren't expecting an NES-style game with multiple levels or dungeons.

I'll toss my boat in the water for Jaws too, but I will say that the NES does have a lot of arcade style fun. I don't think 'arcade style' died completely with the Crash of '83, and it just evolved into longer form twitch gaming.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » November 21st, 2016, 12:39 pm

I'll never understand the hatred for Friday the 13th (NES). It's actually one of my favorite games for the system: it controls well enough, has great atmosphere, creepy music, and is very unique! People complain about the rock, which you only have as a weapon for the first minute until you upgrade to the knife.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 22nd, 2016, 10:34 am

I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, despite the ugly graphics and the horrible loading times. I also enjoyed Pit-Fighter (Sega Genesis version) a lot. I know a lot of people would put those two games in a 'worst games of all time' list, but I had quite some fun with them.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 23rd, 2016, 11:34 am

Robotrek wrote:Putty Squad (PS4) - Yes, I know, the SNES game released in Europe a long time ago, but I almost never played my imported copy. Putty Squad is a good game IMO. It's an exploration based 2D platformer, and some of your abilities are REALLY cool. I get that it has some of that "euro" cluster-[EXPLETIVE] level design, but come on. It isn't THAT bad. Plus, the game is beautiful. Looks great, plays great, and has some cool ideas. More people should give it a shot.

I enjoyed the game too, but I played the Nintendo 3DS eshop version.

wur

Postby wur » November 28th, 2016, 2:38 pm

I really like Neo-Contra, especially the cut scenes. It's had horrible reviews across the board with one exception, that being the one on this site.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 28th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Intellectually I know that 32X Motocross Championship isn't a good game (though it's not as bad as people say) and wouldn't pass muster with fans of the sport or as an advertisement for the 32X's "power". But I enjoyed it enough to win every race on all difficulties.

Same with Wacky Races for Dreamcast. Is it flawed? Sure, but something about it made me want to play through to the end, which is more than I can say for most racers.

FMV games are a treasure house of cheesy fun, of course. Fahrenheit on the Sega CD & 32X was one my wife and I enjoyed beating, and Dracula Unleashed was another. OTOH we couldn't get into the Sherlock Holmes game on the system at all.

Otherwise I get enjoyment from tons of games people say are unmitigated garbage. Sword of Sodan and Dark Castle on the Genesis, Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 and Drakkhen on the SNES, Bugs (Atari 2600), Flintstones' Bedrock Bowling (PS1)...all of them did a better job of holding my attention than most alleged "classics" I've played.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » November 29th, 2016, 6:59 am

There's this Sesame Street game on the NES that I get a kick out of. More specifically the part where Count goes, "Ah, ah ah!".

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 29th, 2016, 1:56 pm

goldenband wrote:Otherwise I get enjoyment from tons of games people say are unmitigated garbage. Sword of Sodan and Dark Castle on the Genesis, Lord of the Rings Vol. 1 and Drakkhen on the SNES, Bugs (Atari 2600), Flintstones' Bedrock Bowling (PS1)...all of them did a better job of holding my attention than most alleged "classics" I've played.

I can almost see where you're coming from with a lot of those, but... Sword of Sodan? I genuinely want to know what appeals to you in that game.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » November 29th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Stalvern wrote:I can almost see where you're coming from with a lot of those, but... Sword of Sodan? I genuinely want to know what appeals to you in that game.

I've written extensively about it elsewhere so I don't want to go on at great length here, but basically I think it's a lot more playable than people give it credit for. If the game used giant mechs no one would bat an eye at the weird controls, and though there's a learning curve they can be learned. The potion system is perfectly clear, the logic behind the combat is reasonable if you take the time to understand how it works (crotch-stabbing everyone is the wrong way to play the game), and things like the allegedly "invisible" pits are bogus (they're quite visible if you know what to look for).

People call it "unplayable" but I had little difficulty learning and mastering the game. Of course it has frustrating aspects and some major flaws, including a couple places where you can get screwed if the RNG doesn't go your way. But I get more satisfaction out of mastering a tough, short game like SOS than I get out of the many console games that feel more like guided museum tours whose main purpose is to flatter the player.

It also helps if you've played a lot of 1980s computer games. I think console gamers often flip out if they don't feel godlike when they fire up a game, but 8-bit computer games were often all about slow, measured play and tricky learning curves.

I think the universal condemnation of games like E.T. and Sword of Sodan is as much about social signaling as anything, and the hardwired human impulse to conform to a social group: "My tribe is making fun of this thing, so I'd better make fun of it too or else they might kill or ostracize me", that kind of thing. There are many games on the Genesis that are much worse than Sword of Sodan, like Onslaught, Andre Agassi Tennis, or even TaleSpin.

Return to “Video Games General”