Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Video Game

General and high profile video game topics.
astrodomekid

Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Video Game

Postby astrodomekid » November 18th, 2016, 9:55 am

I know everyone has their guilty pleasure, so I would like to know what your favorites are in terms of video games. Is there a video game that you kinda feel bad for enjoying but you still enjoy it for whatever reason?

For me, that game would be Rugrats: Studio Tour (PS1). I can't stand babies, so I was never a huge fan of the show. Sure the graphics are kind of ugly and the voice acting can be kind of obnoxious at times, but there's something about those minigames that I can't help but enjoy. It was my guilty pleasure as a kid, and it's my guilty pleasure now.

Sut

Re: Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Video Game

Postby Sut » November 18th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Good topic. Mine would be two Master System Shinobi Titles.

Shadow Dancer: The graphics whilst impressive in stills flicker badly. It's a difficult game and the bosses are like hitting a metaphorical brick wall. But it's nice and short and can be completed in around 12 minutes. I've got the thing memorised and it's become my quintessential 'quick blast' game.

Cyber Shinobi: Similar to Shadow Dancer first impressions are not good and sometimes the controls let you down. It appears a shambling wreck of a game. But there is something that draws me back in and a game I can now complete relatively easy.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 19th, 2016, 8:47 am

I LOL'ed at "I can't stand babies....".

For me, its Freedom Fighters (PS2,XB,GC). Low budget squad based 3rd person shooter that was released at a $20 price point. Love it, and the multiplayer is awesome as well.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 19th, 2016, 11:47 am

Kingdom Hearts. I used to be completely obsessed with those games as a kid, but I grew out of them when I got into games with more mature storylines and premises. I still play them now and then, but I try to keep it to myself, haha. Honestly, it's the fandom that makes me do this. I put hardcore KH fans in the same boat as Bronies and Undertale fans. Ranging from mildly annoying to flat out obnoxious.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » November 19th, 2016, 12:24 pm

I used to really enjoy playing the Wipeout games with my little cousins. Watching the characters ragdoll in slow-motion after getting hit with a giant foam hammer and flying 20 feet in the air was always amusing, no matter how many times it happened. Also, they were cheaply-made games with funky character models (at least on the Wii), giving the games another level of entertainment value; Jill Wagner's model in particular looked creepy, especially when her mouth would try in vain to keep up with the demands of voice-acting.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 19th, 2016, 12:43 pm

For me it's probably Night Trap (Sega CD) and other FMV games of that ilk.
The game itself isn't much of a game, but the video clips are a virtual trip back in time. The clothes, hairstyles, cars, lingo, music... I find it fascinating.
Also, I think the game is better than people give it credit for. Triggering elaborate traps to catch crooks by hitting a button at the right time is satisfying.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 19th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Strider Returns- I KNOW I'm going to be called insane for this, but I LIKE this game, it may be slow paced, but it isn't broken or unplayable by any means. Plus the soundtrack is great.

Jaws (NES) - Why does this game get so much hate and ridicule? It's an arcade style game! That's all it's meant to be. Drive your boat around, go underwater, collect shells, upgrade, rinse, repeat, then defeat jaws. It plays smoothly, and is a good way to pass a little time.

Putty Squad (PS4) - Yes, I know, the SNES game released in Europe a long time ago, but I almost never played my imported copy. Putty Squad is a good game IMO. It's an exploration based 2D platformer, and some of your abilities are REALLY cool. I get that it has some of that "euro" cluster-[EXPLETIVE] level design, but come on. It isn't THAT bad. Plus, the game is beautiful. Looks great, plays great, and has some cool ideas. More people should give it a shot.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » November 19th, 2016, 2:06 pm

Shadow the Hedgehog qualifies for me. It's not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, and its attempts to be dark and edgy border on cringeworthy, but I somehow manage to enjoy the gameplay to a degree. At the very least, it's nowhere near as broken as Sonic '06.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » November 19th, 2016, 2:20 pm

I love adventure games, and I've played enough truly great ones that Rise of the Dragon should be way below my standards. The setting is a generic Blade Runner ripoff, the writing is absolute cheese, and the design takes so many cheap shots that you have to keep two or three saves on hand at all times... but I'm a total sucker for its pulpy charm. It was followed up a year later with Heart of China, and while that one's probably a better game, it still qualifies as a guilty pleasure too. I guess what makes them so enjoyable is how sincere they feel; they're totally unoriginal, but out of an obvious love for the pulp fiction that inspired them, rather than a cynical disregard for creativity. The atmospheric, hand-painted graphics definitely help as well.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 19th, 2016, 2:24 pm

Robotrek Jaws on the NES has always looked fun to me. But I have not gotten because of bad reviews and word of mouth. With your good words about it I think I will pick it up if it's fairly cheap.

Return to “Video Games General”