Festivus 2016 Grievances

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Festivus 2016 Grievances

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 29th, 2016, 4:47 pm

This article in Ars inspired me to create my own list of 2016 grievances.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/ ... 1&start=40

If you're tired of my complaints, skip this thread. Otherwise feel free to join in!

Here's my starter list:

Would like to see more games that play right off the disc without mandatory 25GB "updates" (see: Gears of War 4)

For single player modes, should NOT have to go online for any reason (see: Doom)

For multiple player LOCAL modes, no good reason go online (Gears 4)

Flimsy packaging with no manuals. The idea that these had to be done away with for "environmental reasons" is nothing just a huge scam. As if our landfills are overflowing with video game boxes and manuals.

It would be nice to play a game without having to sign into a damn profile!

After sitting through an extended install process, load times should be near zero. Don't make me sit through intro screens each time I play the game.

Enough of the EULAs which users are required to agree to God-knows-what. These are basically blank checks for clearing the publisher of any liability (like shipping a broken game).

Stop asking us for social media and other personal info so you can turn around and sell it to marketers.

There is no excuse for a game to be over 20GB, much less 50GB. But hey, what do the publishers care? It's not their disc space.

Will Microsoft ever engineer a dashboard interface that makes sense?

Note to Nintendo: Digital downloads don't count as real game releases for the Wii U.

Consoles of the future: no more touch screen controls please.

I still can't figure out how to turn off my damn PS4 using the power button on the console.

No more exclusive sport licenses (Madden) or movie licenses with EA (Star Wars). EA seems to have a monopoly on ruining things.

During long installs, limited play during install does not ease the process, it only adds confusion.

People who complain that I complain about the industry too much. Hey, somebody's gotta do it! It's not like I'm making stuff up.

Your turn!

scotland

Re: Festivus 2016 Grievances

Postby scotland » December 29th, 2016, 6:11 pm

The Retro VGS / Coleco Chameleon - Promising 'back to the cartridge' old skool console - instead people saw something like a SNES motherboard inside a Jaguar shell and lots of eletrical tape.

The Mini Classic Invisible Edition NES - Its about the scale of an American Girl doll, its $60, its got only one controller, and a controller cable so short it must have been made by that Gimbel's toy department manager from ELF yelling about '6 inch ribbon cords honey...SIX inches'. But sure, here Nintendo, take my money....wait....what? I can't pre-order...I can't even find it? Dude, are you trying to sell these things or just enough so that the lucky winners get a tour of your chocolate factory?

Nintendo - Nintendo is that kid in class who could get an A if they tried, but they are really just happy with a C. I wonder if they even have their heart set on winning marketshare anymore, or just on risk management. Its great to earn 1 dollar, but when you could have earned 3 or 5 dollars by just giving the customers what they want, you have to wonder.

And a general rant - Remember the old Burger King ad jingle? "Hold the pickle, hold the lettuce, special orders don't upset us. All we ask is that you let us serve it your way" It was about giving the customer what they wanted. Every time the Critic or someone else here complains he or she is doing so as a annoyed customer. Why do Sony and Microsoft basically tell those people "No soup for you". That sounds like something we'll look back on someday like Atari overproducing Pac Man or Sega making the 32x...

Return to “Video Games General”